Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Default Poll for Saturday -- OT

What is the dumbest name for a festival in your area that you have heard?
We have the Great Texas Mosquito Festival and today is the
No Name Festival.
They need no reason (or name) to have a festival around here.
They also have the Fishing Fiesta where everyone brings their biggest catch and hangs it on display for everyone to see. Can we say "lots of flies here"?????

Old June 8th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Poll for Saturday -- OT

Honeybee Festival in Hahira Georgia. Population - about the size of my neighborhood.

Old June 8th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've just gotta post onto this thread. We have the Eelpout Fishing Tournament and Festival, held in february. Basically it's an excuse for a huge party out on Leech Lake (lovely name, huh?) which is the 4th largest lake in Minnesota. By mid-February the ice on the lake usually is in the range of 3 feet deep or more, so anywhere from 5 - 10,000 people end up living out on the lake for the weekend in anything from tents to 5th wheel travel trailers to constructed 1600 SF temporary "homes"...lol. Oh yes, there are prizes for the largest eelpout, a rough fish which when caught has a tendency to try to wrap itself around your arm as you try to take the hook out. There is also the "Eelpout Peelout" 10 km run which has been held in temps down to -25 F. The km markers for the race are a post stuck into the snowbanks along the road with the correct number of eelpout hanging from it to signify the number of kilometers the runners have gone so far.
Old June 8th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Admiral

We have the annual "Punkin' Chunkin' "

Mostly it's something for the Slower Delawareans to do once harvest is pretty much over. They build weird launching devices, load 'em into the pickups with some brewskis and the dog (gun rack required) and fling them in a wild variety of ways. Catapults seem to be remarkably effective.

Someone once said that there is an elaborate formula that includes weight of pumpkin, distance travelled by pumpkin, etc. I do not believe this to be true. The number of brewskis provided to the panel of judges probably has more to do with it.

We also have our ethnic festivals ... the Greek Festival, the Italian Festival, the Jewish Festival ... the Polish are too smart for this silliness, they just go a couple of neighborhoods over and let the Italians do all the work. Then we have the Irish thing, the German thing, and so on.

My favorite is the WASP Festival, also known as "Flower Market." It is womaned (although men have recently been allowed to do some of the heavy lifting) by ladies who STILL have all their Lily Pulitzer dresses. The ethnic food consists of chicken salad sandwiches, crab cake sandwiches (both on easy white bread) and brownies.

It is rumored that to be on The Committee one must be Episcopalian and commit bargello when bored. (Guess I didn't fill out my application correctly.) It is for a worthy cause -- children's charities -- and raises a ton of money.

They don't call DelaWhere the Quaint State for nothing ~~~
Old June 8th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We have a small little festival.. The Calgary Stampede.

For us it means everyone stampede's into my bar which just happens to be at the end of the parade route<G>, and hopefully supplies cruise fare.

Old June 8th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Maverick has one in his area called the Opossum Towne Pigfest. Don't ask, I don't think I could explain.
:o)

Old June 8th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Admiral

There's a "Testy Festy," also known as the Testicle Festival, in Montana. Mountain oysters are the featured cuisine for the event.
Old June 8th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll for Saturday -- OT

"Hamjam" in St Augustine, Fl. We also have at least two dozen other named festivals that occur yearly here. We know how to make a buck of the tourists. <VBG>
Jim

Old June 8th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Every March in Okeechobee, Florida we have the Speckled Perch Festival. There is a parade of course and an arts and crafts bazaar set up in the middle of town. Lots of speckled perch is sold and there is a rodeo in the afternoon. This festival lasts three days. It is a great deal of fun the FIRST time you attend!
kimann
Old June 8th, 2002, 06:58 PM
susancruzs

All those mentioned make our Coho Salmon thing down by Lake Michigan seem pretty tame. Of course, the big city (Chgo) has tons, taste of this, taste of that, Blues this and Blues that, and on and on all summer long.
Old June 8th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Geez - I cannot think of what they call the alewives festival they have here in the spring......

But, Milwaukee is known as the City of Festivals....Summmerfest is the big granddaddy of them all (11 days of food, music, rides, entertainment, etc on the shore of Lake Michigan - brings in almost 1 million people a year), then all the ethnic festivals -Polish Fest, German Fest, Irish Fest, Festa Italiana, Asian Moon, Arab Fest, Fiesta Mexicana, HarvestMoon and many many more all held at the same lakefront location; then there are all the church festivals (at least two every weekend), Rainbow Summer, Riversplash, then of course there is State Fair for 11 days in August held right here in Milwaukee - think Summerfest with the added attractions of a typical state fair.

Old June 8th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll for Saturday -- OT

Actually we have a few other 'small' events that are centered around the immediate area. First is "Speedweeks" for auto racing fans that draws, oh maybe just a million or so folks, then comes "Bikeweek" which also drags in another million or two. We then go on for the TPC which draws from what they say a half million or more and by golly we go back again to "summer speedweeks" for another million or so folks. I won't even mention the number of collage kids that invade the area for "Spring Break" <>
Jim

Old June 8th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

Jim - you can have them! But next year is Harley-Davidson's 10th anniversary and the party will be in Milwaukee....can you imagine the noise? lol

Old June 9th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Admiral

We have alot of good festival here in CA-- but since I cant stand Brussel sprouts --it would be the Brussel Sprout festival---- to me they are the worst--guess its because I have some bad memories of them---
Enjoy them if you must but not me
April
Old June 9th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Oopps! I wish this thing had an edit function! lol That should be Harley-Davidson's 100th anniversary.