Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL.. TABLE for 2,4,6,8,10,12?

May I show you to your table? Table for ???

Personally prefer a large table. With one son now out of the house, and the other on the go alot, we know have many dinners for two at home. And there's generally lots of other time on a cruise to be together, just the two of us.
So for dinners onboard Mrs Kuki and I enjoy the larger tables for the socializing. Tables for 6 or 8 are probably best for actually being able to share and hear all the conversation, but larger tables are OK to. We just move around, rather than sitting in the same spot, so you each night you get to visit more directly with someone else.

Old June 18th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL.. TABLE for 2,4,6,8,10,12?

Actually we prefer a large table, but if it just going to be me, John and the kids, then I would prefer a table for 4. Some kids are just not as well behaved as others and they tend to put families with kids together with other families with kids. I would hate to be stuck with a table full of rowdy kids for an entire cruise.

Old June 18th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Captain

We always ask for a table of 6 or 8, any larger and it seems there can be to many conversations going on and if anyone has any hearing problems that causes problems for them to participate in the conversation.
Old June 18th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Admiral

I don't know if it's the size of the table that matters as much as the folks you end up seated with.

On a recent cruise, we were next to a very large table who were carrying on something wicked. You'd think they'd known each other for a long time.

I still enjoy a table for two, but on longer cruises eight is a good number.

Old June 18th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Admiral

......didn't see anyone at the above mentioned nearby table for 11 trying to 'wear' spoons on THEIR cheeks! <VBEG>

Now....that said.....on the Summit we had a table for 11...but stretched it comfortably to 13 on 2 of the nights....the table staff were most accomodating. We moved around nightly.....most just to try to seperate CA and SeaFan <G> CA....food goes in the mouth....NOT down the cleavage! Normally we travel with a ready made group of 6-8....love the round tables best....but we did make great use the large long table on this particular occassion....but moving around is a must.

Post Edited (06-18-02 09:56)
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Good poll question Kuki. We also prefer a large table. 6-8 top is great, and like you said, just change seating positions when sitting at a 10-12 top. We usually make it a few times to the dining room for breakfast and lunch during a cruise, and enjoy the open seating arrangement there. Meeting more fellow cruisers. People are really quite interesting.

One lunch on the Summit, we were seated with a young couple from Ukraine (currently living in California), and an older couple from Germany. Between my poor German and the German's limited English, we all enjoyed a wonderful conversation! I saw the German couple occasionally throughout the cruise, and had further opportunities to practice my German. And yet at another lunch, we enjoyed dining with just the two of us.

Before our third cruise, we realized we enjoyed the company a large table at dinner provides. We requested late seating as usual, and a large table. We were assigned a nice, large table by a window, but during main seating. We were able to switch to late seating, but went to early dinner that night. Table for 10, and we were the only two that showed up. No problem, we'll be at a different table tomorrow I thought. Upon checking out our 2nd table assignment, I was a little disappointed that it was a table for four. Oh well, that will be okay. Do our surprise, no one else showed up. It was only the 2nd night of the cruise...what had we done? After the third, fourth, and fifth nights of eating with each other, we decided that we were the only two that had been assigned to our table. That theory was blown, when on the sixth night, finally, a couple appears! About our age, from Vegas. She looks over the menu, says she doesn't want any of that, and leaves. He politely orders, eats, and makes small talk before he makes his exit. And you guessed it, we ate alone the last night. And I didn't even spill my drink, or order three desserts.

But we have solved the problem. Now, we cruise with family or friends, that feel obligated to eat with us!
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

Now now Mgram CA and I were the perfect example of following Miss Mannerís rules on fine dinning. Until we started channeling the sprit of others around us. <VBG> Somebody had to keep the table awake and I think CA and I did a great job. <G>

Since my daughter is off to college Timberhead and I get the pleasure of dinning together alone every night at home. We prefer a large table so we can socialize with other passengers. But of course whom you dine with makes a big impact on your enjoyment level.

Post Edited (06-18-02 10:26)
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Now, Mgram ...

The reason that persons at that large table did not wear spoons is because it is an exceedingly difficult operation requiring a great deal of native intelligence and natural athletic ability. To say nothing of years of practice.

And I didn't TRY ... I did it.
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Admiral

I think I read it somewhere that the Olympic Committee is considering Spoon Face Art for a challenging, new event.
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Way to go SeaFan, YES, we did have to keep others from falling asleep into their dinner plates!
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

OK - I like a large table, especially if traveling with friends. Now, about that large table of 11, it was not CA and SeaFan channeling the others at the table, no they did that all on their own....but they did it to try and keep Divetex awake! <vbg> And, i sem to recall a table of 8 close by us who were just as rowdy........they even took a phlamingo to the Captain's table one night!

Old June 18th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Admiral

I prefer a table for two. Me and Bo Derek. Sorry, dreaming again................ouch, hey Mrs. Thomas I was only kidding.........really honey I was just kidding......now please put down the baseball bat.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Yeoman

Large table for me as I like to meet and speak with as many people as I can. Bob
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

We like tables for 6-8 as we enjoy meeting new people.

Old June 18th, 2002, 11:35 AM
susancruzs

I like large tables the best, nice meeting new people and I'll take a large one, early seating for the Golden for T-time that I just booked! Susie
Old June 18th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

When traveling with:

Family - 4 top It is our time to catch up on events of the day.

Friends - 6 or 8 top It is a good way to meet new people with a little more intimate converstion

Self - 10 or 12 top The more the merrier..

Jodi

Old June 18th, 2002, 12:21 PM
First Mate

In the past we've have a table just for 4, 7 day max cruise, but since we'll be going on an 11 day this time, we decided to try a table for 6, JUST in case we don't want to be 'trapped" with the other 2 for all of that time....

...but as I've heard someone say previously, ANY cruise is a GOOD cruise!!
Old June 18th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Admiral

We like the large table too. On our last cruise we had asked for a large table, but ended up with one for four. The other couple were real nice people so we didn't ask for a change. We got to meet other folks at the open seating at breakfast so that worked out pretty nice. Phyll
Old June 18th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Admiral

We like a table with 8 to 10. On our last cruise, we were at a table for 12, and it was difficult to speak to or hear everyone.
Old June 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
First Mate

We like a table for two. It is not that we are anti-social but we feel much more relaxed just eating alone. More romantic.
Old June 18th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Count me in for a large table, one of the best reasons for cruising, meeting and eating with new and interesting people, the larger the table the better!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 18th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Admiral

We prefer a large table (6 or 8) because we enjoy meeting and conversing with others. On one cruise, we just had a table for 2 and found it very romantic, but it was a little TOO MUCH "togetherness" - 24 hrs. a day for 7 or more days. Other times we've ended up with just another couple at the table, but our most interesting cruises have been where we've sat with a group of people from various places.
Old June 18th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Diana H

We like a table for 8 or ten. We always have dinner for two at home and enjoy having someone else to talk to while dining on a cruise.

Diana
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Admiral

We like a large table. 8 is my preference, but we've had good companions at tables for 6 as well. Our very well-behaved table for 8 at late seating on the Summit was just perfect!
jennifer
Old June 22nd, 2002, 08:08 AM
Passenger

We always request a large table...8 is nice! Definitely a round one, much better conversational flow! Forget a table for 2, after 40 years I've heard "all" his stories before