Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Default passports

Is it better to have a passport or can we just take the birthcertificates and mariage license. If it is better to have a passport, where do I go to get one?
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2002, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: passports

You can apply for your passport online or get the application from your postoffice.
You will need special pictures. Call around and find out who makes passport photos.
They must be specific dimensions, etc.
Here are a few sites for obtaining a passport. I don't see why you can't take along your BC and marriage license, but if you travel alot a passport is easier.

http://www.americanpassport.com/
http://www.passportexpress.com/home.asp
http://www.instantpassport.com/
http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

Post Edited (06-23-02 12:37)
Old June 23rd, 2002, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Just remember, if you use your birth certificate, it has to have a raised seal on it AND you must also have a government issued id (drivers license, etc.)

Old June 23rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi RL-go,
Always best to travel with a passport, so if you still have time, use the links above and get it started, best identification you can have, and remember they are good for 10 years.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 23rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Definitely a passport. Your local photo store should do photos (good news is, you look even goofier than on your dirver's license) for about $5. Then the local post office is a good first stop.

Remember, your air tickets MUST match the name on your photo ID/passport. If you maintain a professional name rather than your married name, try to remember which is which.

A TA forgot to ask once, and I forgot to say. It was NOT fun.

Old June 23rd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Without any question a Passport is best. It is the one means of identification that is recognized worldwide without question. go to http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html
and that will have all the info you need. You can also download the application from the internet. Just get your 2x2" photos done by either AAA or maybe even your local WalMart or some other photo place that does LEGAL government ID photos. Fill out th application and take them to the approprate place, (mine was the county courthouse), alnoe with the proper ID and birth certificates and I think the fee is $60 in a POSTAL MONEY ORDER and in sometime less than 8 weeks you will received your id and passports back in the mail. They are good for 10 years and you will love having them.
Jim

Old June 23rd, 2002, 04:54 PM
Captain

You didn't say where you were traveling to. You can travel to Mexico, Caribbean and Canada (for the meantime....but that soon will change IMO) with your BC and marriage license along with a government issued photo ID.

If you are traveling anywhere else..including Europe, you must have a Passport. You will be denied boarding on airlines and cruiseships without it.

I would strongly urge you to get a Passport if you plan on traveling outside the U.S. Fifty.
Old June 23rd, 2002, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

If my memory serves me well, you are required to send your birth certificate with the raise seal with your application, photos, fee, etc...but not to worry they send it back with your passport.
Old June 23rd, 2002, 08:16 PM
barbara11758

You need a passport if you're going overseas. It's not necessary for Canada, Mexico or the islands in the Caribbean.
Old June 24th, 2002, 01:38 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: passports

Thanks for the information. We are going to Mexico and we are leaving in less than a month so I am not sure if there is time now to get the passport. Our Travel agent didnt think we needed one that is why we didnt get one to begin with. This is going to be our first cruise and I have read a lot of reviews and saw that most everyone had a passport and thought that I should ask. I think our travel agent is new. anyway thanks for the information. i really appreciate it and will try to get one.
Old June 24th, 2002, 03:38 AM
First Mate

Here is a difference of opinion...my husband & I have been on numerous cruises & have had NO problem with just our driver's licenses & birth certificates....we figured there is no need to put out the additional expense of getting a passport. You do NOT need one if you are traveling to Mexico...

The only place I know of "locally" that requires a passport is a small island off of Hawaii. For some reason, they DO require a passport....

People say they're good for ten years, but how often are you going to go to somewhere that requires a passport?? Sounds like more fun to me to spend the money or shore excurions!

Happy Cruising!

...Jean
Old June 24th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: passports

You can speed up the normal process by requesting so. I haven't been to any of the web sites above but I remember when I got my passport years ago I was able to get it within 10 days by showing the clerk at the courthouse my airline tickets to Europe and then paying some nominal fee ($10, I think). I believe it came to me about a week later.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 24th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Jean - I used to think the same way, but I have found differently since I got my passport. I use it for all flights (domestic and international) - I find it much faster to get through lines when using the passport rather than having the people scan two or three different pieces of paper and a picture id. Also, going through customs in and out of Canada is much easier too. Also, I think that very soon you WILL need a passport to go anywhere outside the country - and remember it is not our country that makes that decision, it is the country you are entering - they can require anything they want for a foreigner to enter their country. A passport is the most widely recognized identification in the world. I feel much safer traveling with one than I do without one.

Old June 24th, 2002, 06:27 PM
selke

Passport, definitly. It is the easiest way to go. I bring my drivers license and a copy of my birth certificate just in case, but have never had to show them after flipping out the old passport. And as an added bonus you get to look EXACTLY the same for ten years. Maybe it's a goofy picture, but it keeps getting a hell of a lot better looking as YOU age and it doesn't!
And I can't agree with Jean at all. Since 9\11, I feel it is a good idea to have a passport even if you never leave your country of origin.
And about never having to use it again, Well,when I got my passport in 1993 to travel to Great Britain, I didn't think I would use it ever again. Well was I ever wrong! I discovered cruising in 1996 and have almost worn the darn thing out!

Selke
Old June 26th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: passports

Thanks so much everybody!! Everyone on this site is so dang helpful I just love all you guys!!