Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2002, 11:17 AM
poppy

Default Swim-Snorkeling in Bermuda

We plan to do some snorkeling in Bermuda this September. Don't care to go all the way out to sea . Prefer just beach snorkeling. Actually, you could call it, " swim-snorkeling".
I have no desire to take a "snorkel boat" that charges $50 pp. It would kill the thrill for me.
So, I'm left to my own devices in seeking out "where to snorkel", with so little time, as the ship awaits anxiously reaking to weigh anchor.

With so little time to spend on that beautiful island, I'd prefer to know ahead of time, if thats possible, where are the good places to snorkel.

I've read that there's a "Snorkel Park" close to St. George that sounds good.
I've been trying to read about other peoples favorite swim-snorkel spots on Bermuda, but with very little sucess.

And, with Bermuda's gorgeous "Turquoise" waters, I would think that most visitors
would take advantage of its superb acquatic attributes, and just "dive in".

Clue me in!

Thanks
poppy@cyburban.com
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Swim-Snorkeling in Bermuda

In St. Georges most people go to Tobacco Bay. Snorkeling there is ok , but, gets crowded. There are newer beach facilities at St. Catherines beach and for good snorkeling you can walk 100 yards on the other side of the Fort to Achilles Bay Beach.
There is nice snorkeling along the rocks .
If you are a good swimmer there is a reef off Ft St Catherines beach (to the right and several hundred yards away). There are also sea turtles living in that area.

Any of the beaches along Horseshoe Bay and Warwick have ok snorkeling.

I know you do not want to pay the $50 but, if you change your mind, the best $50 you will ever spend snokelling is with Jessie James out of Hamilton. The office is down an alley on the main Street in Hamilton. Their trip leaves every day from an area just past the ferry terminal in Hamilton. They make 3 stops.
First a small island just outside the harbor. If you snorkel, circle the island(Isaid small).
If a beginner this is where they do the teaching. Next stop, a double wreck. They get in the water and tour you over two side by side wrecks.Facinating stuff.Third stop the northern most coral reef in the world. Nice color and only in a few feet of water despite that you are several miles out.
On the way in you get a nice narrated tour of the Dockyard area and the harbor.
Family run business and booking directly with them gets you more snorkeling for less money than with the ships tour.
Tell Jill OcConner that Bill from NY says hello. Ask her about how happy they made the guy who waited 4 years to go out with them.
Old June 26th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Swim-Snorkeling in Bermuda

I thought the snorkeling at Tobacco Bay was absolutely amazing. There were so many great things to see, it was amazing (imho).

But it was not crowded when we were there, and while the beach filled up somewhat I found that if you just swim out to the rocks and stuff that there was almost no one out there. Definitely check out tobacco bay for good snorkelling. Also it is very easy because there are no waves and the water is very calm. FYI they rent the equipment right on the beach for very cheap.

Just my two cents