Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Default What a stupid decision

I just read this on Yahoo. What's wrong with our government endorsing religion? That's how our country was founded. What makes those judges any smarter than the 1954 congressmen? am really angry about this.

(AP) - For the first time ever, a federal appeals court Wednesday declared the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional because of the words "under God" added by Congress in 1954. The ruling, if allowed to stand, means schoolchildren can no longer recite the pledge, at least in the nine Western states covered by the court. In a 2-1 decision, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the phrase amounts to a government endorsement of religion.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What a stupid decision

I just read that! What a crock!
http://www.cnn.com has a full article.
Quote from that site ====
The recitation that ours is a nation 'under God' is not a mere acknowledgement that many Americans believe in a deity. Nor is it merely descriptive of the undeniable historical significance of religion in the founding of the Republic. Rather, the phrase 'one nation under God' in the context of the pledge is normative," the court said in its decision.

"To recite the pledge is not to describe the United States; instead it is to swear allegiance to the values for which the flag stands: unity, indivisibility, liberty, justice and -- since 1954 -- monotheism."

FOR MORE INFO GO TO THE LINK ABOVE>

Old June 26th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Shar

Very sad..
Old June 26th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Okie/Tex

What a shame! The liberal PC is taking over our country. Kinda makes me want to hide my CIB and Purple Heart in the drawer so no one will know I have them.

God bless America!

Okie
Old June 26th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Okie/Tex, be proud of that CIB and Purple Heart. You earned them.
John also has a CIB and is very proud of it and I am proud of him.

Old June 26th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Admiral

I have neither CIB nor PH, but I do have the utmost respect for those who have either. NEVER hide them.
Old June 26th, 2002, 07:10 PM
First Mate

I suppose we will have to turn in all our money too, after all it does say "In God We Trust"
Old June 26th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Don has a PH.....and he sure cussed when the news came on!

Old June 26th, 2002, 07:48 PM
susancruzs

Sure is upsetting and in our warehouse today where there are many nationalities, they all reacted the same way even ones that I wouldn't expect. A sad thing, I think. Susie
Old June 26th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

This a CROCK!!!! If someone has problems with those two words, THEN DON'T SAY THEM!!! Simple as that - we respect your beliefs but YOU DA*@ WELL BETTER RESPECT OURS!

Old June 26th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

it upsets me too! I just thought it was a rule that you couldn't preach to the children. we have a thing at our school where at lunch everyday anybody can join in and we hold hands and pray in a big circle. the school said it's not against policy unless we are causing a big disturbance. they even have a classroom every morning that you can go in befor classes and prey even with teachers. if they allow that they should allow the pledge of allegiance. my band also has a prayer before every football game to make sure that there is a safe game. we have an election every year for a chaplain just for that purpose. are they going to stop praying before games and saying the pledge of allegiance and playing the national anthem. they didn't have a problem with it during the crisis of september 11 attacks why now? this really upsets me. we had a man that once stood by our school giving out mini bibles and the principal got mad ran him off and tried to take up every ones bible.how stupid.

Post Edited (06-26-02 19:20)
Old June 26th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Admiral

In the overall scheme of things, I just say "so what?" I don't want to remove the words from the allegiance,but as Lisa said, "JUST DON'T SAY THE WORDS!" If they want to remove the words are the children going to grow up to be communists?

I have more faith in our children that they are being parented to adulthood without this decison affecting them.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 26th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Absolutely disgusting ... I'm so tired of these stupid liberal judges. My local CBS television station is running a poll - 95% say yes we should say "under God". These judges represent only 9 western states (but even that is too many) ... and it will not be enforced immediately - giving the government a chance to defend our right to say it ... maybe all the way to the Supreme Court. We were founded as a nation under God. Let's pray to God that the atheists won't win again!!!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 26th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Most disturbing thing I have heard in months...

Jodi

Old June 26th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

This separation of Church and State comes from a LETTER written by Thomas Jefferson and is only vaguely referred to in the constitution. When mentioned in the constitution, it says that government may not ESTABLISH a religion (like the Church of England) - nowhere does it say that religion is not a part of our government or our heritage. Do atheists and agnostics use money? It state on there In God We Trust. That does not establish a religion, it merely reinforces the fact that our country was established for the freedom OF religion.

Old June 26th, 2002, 11:01 PM
First Mate

2 comments

1st. I have faith that the Supreme Court will over turn this decision.

2nd. I'm glad they did this maybe it will wake up some people so that they will realize what a bunch of wacko's these liberal judges are and the senators and Presidents that appointed them are.
Old June 27th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Admiral

Hmmmm.

Sounds like that famous atheist, Madeline Murray O'Hare (I think that's close) all over again.

I always thought that the whole point of the US was freedom FROM religion. If you don't want it, it not ought be imposed upon you.

The easy answer is to pause during those two words and say them or not. The National Federation of Republican Women has been doing it for years.

Isn't that a surprise?

I think what the 9th Circuit was all about was the ostracization of a child whose parent had an issue because he is an atheist. Remember that the words "under G*d" were added during the McCarthy years. It was VERY politically correct back then.

Loyalty to our flag and our nation is one thing. Our personal beliefs are quite another thing.

I think anyone, regardless of religious beliefs, can love and serve our country.

Old June 27th, 2002, 09:34 AM
ScottC

If there is supposed to be a separation of chuch and state, then why is there a bible in every court to swear in witnesses?

BTW, as for the "under God" issue, I think it is ok to drop the phrase since a pledge toward our country should not be limited to christians. I would die to defend our freedom from oppression, whether it is military, religious or otherwise.

Also since we are a democratic society and the majority of our country is christian, it is not unreasonable to expect some religious references, however they should not be critical to being a citizen.

Just my opinion,
ScottC
Old June 27th, 2002, 12:46 PM
First Mate

I'm embarrassed that I'm from this guys area. Believe me, the majority are sickened by what has happened. I feel sorry for this mans little girl.
Old June 27th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I agree, I think, with Julie.

A child below the "age of reason" should not be used as a pawn as this little girl was.

While I can appreciate her father's point of view, using a young person as was done in this case is just plain wrong.

It is also wrong for those who call themselves "Christians" to ostracize her. That's the total opposite of what the Bible teaches.

As to bibles in the courtrooms. maybe we should blame the Gideons ??? They had some left over after all the hotel rooms?

As a member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quaker) we do not, and will not "swear" on the Bible in a courtroom. We "affirm" that our testimony will be true.

I still think it is interesting that President Nixon -- an avowed Quaker -- went outside the "Quaker Way" to swear on the Bible at his inauguration.

It's time to give it a rest. Everyone loves this country and the freedoms it provides.