Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2002, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Default Is cheap liquor worth the hassle?

Do you buy the cheap liquor in the islands and take it home for the cost savings? I see people buying this stuff all the time and always ask myself, is it really worth it to tote 6 bottles of liquor home, chance breaking them, carry the extra weight, add to the packing struggles, just to save a few dollars per bottle. I've never done it, never thought it was worth the hassle.

Or are people buying stuff unavailable at home?

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2002, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Is cheap liquor worth the hassle?

Coming home from the Bahamas several years ago the customs agent commented to us "no liquor?". I replied, " no, there is a liquor store around the corner from my house".
He laughed and said " you are the only smart people who have come through here all day". Is it worth the hassle to save $50 or even $ 100.? Not in my book it's not.
I watch people struggle with their boxes of rum and scotch on every flight we get on
and wonder why they bother? Spend the time and money on a snorkeling excursion
or a tour of one of the beautiful islands you visit and buy your rum at home.
Just my opinion.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 07:42 AM
Admiral

I could never understand folks dragging back bottles of vodka or rum to save a few cents. There are some significant deals, however, on some of the really good stuff... the high end single malt Scotch Whiskeys, aged Cognac and a few others, where it makes some sense to take home a bottle or two. But generally I agree with your comments.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Rarely do I cart liquor back, it is only when it is SO much cheaper and KayakGuy is along to carry it !
Old July 3rd, 2002, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

I agree with all....I only buy something really special. I also feel the same about smuggling the liquor on board (when carrying it from home) for "on board" consumption. Unless I can get it right at the port I figure why bother.

Old July 3rd, 2002, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Good question Thomas. Now I have brought home a bottle of Tia Maria from Jamaica, and a couple of souvenir sized bottles of rum from Puerto Rico, but I usually will not go to the trouble of buying liquor at a reduced price to bring home. And more importantly than that, the person that would be carrying the bottles won't! lol

Now a trip to Mexico, during my yearly beach vacation to South Padre Island, to pick up a bottle of Crown Royal (big $$ savings) and a few cases of Tecate, Dos Equis, and Corona is a different story. Trouble is, the stuff rarely makes it back to Austin!

You have made me think WHY I DON'T bring it home, but I WILL bother to bring it on board. I hope I remember this thread when I pack for my next cruise! :O
Old July 3rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I'm with Ernie on this one (isn't this getting boring, all this agreement?).

We buy high-end single malt Scotch (Queeg likes single malts) and stuff not available stateside. In Puerto Rico, we head for the Bacardi factory to grab a couple of bottles of special rums that never leave the island. Last time in Mexico we got some ancient tequila and a couple of bottles of Xtebetun. a local liquer that Queeg took a fancy to.

We were over our DF allowance, declared the stuff and the Customs guy just looked the other way. (I'd figured the duty at $3.50.)

I don't think it's worth the weight and trouble to get stuff you can buy around the corner.

Old July 3rd, 2002, 11:28 AM
Admiral

We do not buy liquor that we can obtain here in the USA. What we buy is stuff that is obtainable only in these overseas ports or that which is in unique bottles.
Jim

Old July 3rd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Although we have been known to, we seldom buy liquor to bring home. Other than wine with dinner, we just don't drink all that much at home. When we go out for Tex-Mex, however, what we drink is no big secret..
Old July 3rd, 2002, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Is cheap liquor worth the hassle?

I have a miniature liquor bottle collection that now numbers more than 900. I will gladly cart a few unusual tiny bottles home, but nothing else.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

If it is something that I cannot get here, or is a really good deal on a high end liquor, then I will buy a bottle or two, but that is it.

Old July 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Yeoman

We buy the stuff we can't get here in the states, especially in Georgia where they don't seem to sell hard liqour at all (there are no hard liqour stores in my county). I don't understand the saving $1.00/bottle and going to the trouble of bringing it back but for significant savings I will go to the trouble. Exotic liqour is the only thing that our families request we bring them back when we go on a cruise.

I much prefer the 6 pack cases that they put the liqour in over the loose bottles method. They are much easier to deal with and unless you drop it down a flight of stairs the probability of breakage is very low.

We just rent one of those little luggage carts for our connections and it is all okay.