Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default weight issue

ok here goes. i would love to do one of the sting ray excursions, or snorkel trips but i had a terrible experience once many years ago trying to get back into a boat from the water. i couldn't pull myself back up. im so afraid that this will happent to me again. it was truly one of the most embarassing experiences of my life. i work out regularly, but i am overweight. i love to snorkel, but right off the beach because of this fear. my question is do they have steps on these boats for getting on and off the boat easier? has this ever happened to anyone? thanks everyone for your input on this delicate matter.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2002, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: weight issue

Suzanne,
All of the boats I have seen have ladders that extend down into the water. They aren't the easiest things to pull yourself up on but they are there. I would suggest that maybe a ships tour boat would have the best ladders to climb back onboard as they are more likily to have them constructed for those that have minor disabilities, elderly, or overwieght. Hey, some folks are big, if they think it is funny or whatever, that is their problem, not yours, enjoy.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 3rd, 2002, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Hi, Suzanne ...

We have sailed with Captain Marvin for stingrays twice in Grand Cayman. Good stern deck platform/steps.

There have been some heavy people on the boat with us in GC and I don't remember any of them having a big problem. The crew is also very responsive to anyone who might "need a hand."

I don't think you would have a problem. On the larger boats (ships' ShoreX) it's less likely that crew would be responsive to your situation because of the number of people involved.

Those straight up-and-down ladders that hang over the side are a b***h even for people in GOOD shape. So, let that embarassment go.

Me, I would be very clear with the crew that you MIGHT need some assistance getting back aboard.

Also, it's very easy to "connect" with people on a smaller boat. You should have all the help you need ... if, in fact, you need it.

Good for you for bringing out this "delicate" question. That's brave.

Old July 3rd, 2002, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Suzanne - I would see if you could do a tour with Captain Marvins - they have boats that have steps going in and out of the water and it was very easy to get in and out of the boat - also their staff are so helpful. I am too "plus sized" and found that it is very easy to get in and out of boats that have steps. Good luck and have a great time!

Old July 3rd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Being a rather 'meaty' person, myself, I would have had NO problem getting back up the ladder IF I had remembered to first remove my FINS......the long fins AND my VERY short legs (26" inseam) made for an unnecessary struggle.....duh....will remember THAT next time.