Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Default I'm still confused about the tipping..

I have read so many post about tipping and articles that I am still confused. When we cruised last April..we paid up front as was suggested. 20.00 a day for the both of us..I did tip the drink servers and tried to tip the steward but he just said "no ..not now"he did not speak english very well..there were no envelopes on our vanity to add to the tips. So my question is this..Did we do the right thing or should we have given them more..I am a firm beliver in tipping when service is good and like I said we did tip the drink servers and the room service person..input will be appreciated..on our upcoming cruise we will pay up front again..

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: I'm still confused about the tipping..

John:
I'm a bit confused. The drink servers 15% is included in the price of the drinks. If you gave additional, that's cool but not necessary.

With tips automatically put on your Sign and Sail card you don't need to add additional tips. You can give any of the service staff additional at any time during the cruise. If you feel they deserve it, a simple "No, I insist." is all that is usually required for the person to accept it. You can usually get envelopes at the Customer Relations/Pursers desk.

I too have had service staff refuse to accept an additional tip, especially at the start of a cruise. This has usually been our cabin steward or butler. I gave it to them at the end.

BTW: Don't try to tip an officer, it's considered an insult. That's why I never wear a uniform and I stand on deck with an empty coffee can and a "Will cruise for food." sign.

Take care,
Mike M.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Admiral

ROFL..I like the cup idea..thanks Mike..I knew about the officer thing but was still wondering about the stewards and such..I thought it was really strange that he would turn a tip down..He DID go out of his way to help us get settled in at the begining. But thanks, you have eased my mind..I agree about the 15% grats added to the drinks but our drink server(steve) was really special to us and it made no diff if we were on the Lido or in the show lounge he was THERE..I only drink on occasions but this guy made sure I never wanted for anything when it came to drinks..that is why I tipped him on the side..made me feel good anyway..<G>..
John ( searching the cupboards for an appropiate cup for our cruise )

Old July 30th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Admiral

it can be very confusing. I am not a big fan of the automatic tipping, that is why i have it removed from my sign and sail account on the first day, go to the Purser's Desk if you want to do this.(i think that it is terribly presumptious of the cruise line to basically demand the money for the tips in advance) I think that tips should be earned and not automatic, with that being said, i use the cruise ships amount as a guideline- a place to start. If we receive exceptional service i will add more to the suggested amount, if we receive less than stellar service we are apt to reduce the amount some.
You did get taken when it came to your drinks - all bar bills have 15% gratuity added to them automatically so you basically double-tipped your drink server.
Tipping a couple of dollars for a room service meal/snack at time of service is the way to do that.
The tipping envelops are available at the Purser's Desk.
You leave the envelope for your room steward in the room usually on the vanity or desk on the last day before you leave your room.
You hand your assistant waiter and your main waiter their envelopes after your meal on the last night. If the Maitre D or the head waiter has done something exceptional or went out of his way to help you then you tip him at the end of your meal,witth an envelope on the last night --otherwise i personally do not tip him.
If you use the spa or salon you add the tip to your account
Got it????
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Thanks LisaK..will take all your info into account.

Old July 30th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Admiral

glad to be of some help. Hope it made things a bit clearer to you.
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Big,
There is a service that does that, extra pre-cruise tipping, for you. Just send your $40 to "Heres A Little Extra" care of Mr. D in Florida. <EG> One of these days someone will fall for one of my sceams, and Marsha says your not the brightest crayon in the box (jk), but your cute. So, I gave it a shot.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Send any extra tips you are not sure about to Papa Bill in NY and I will be sure that they get to someone who will appreciate them. This same can be done with any other funds you are confused about spending.
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:29 AM
First Mate

I am so glad you asked about this Bigjohn. I am sailing soon and am still so confused about the tips.

Lisa: So , does each table have 3 people serving it? The waiter, assistant waiter and Maitre D? What does the Maitre D do ? Why you don't tip him unless he has done something exceptional? So I should be taking 2 maybe 3 envelopes on my last night dinner?
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Jason and PapaBill....I think you two are in cahoots together.....IF by any chance I have any extra, I think I will Look for that cat from Way up North..you know? the one with the cup..I will drop a few coins in his cup and THEN if I have any left over I will be more than happy to make a deposit into both of your bank accounts..just post your account numbers here and I will TAKE care of the rest..Luv Ya Man...ROFL...

P.S. And don't try to tell me that your account numbers are BR 549..that's mine..^##**& hehehehehehehe

Post Edited (07-30-04 11:00)
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Passenger

The Maitre D is the gentleman the oversees the operation of the dining room.

I usually tip extra when I want to insure that I get good service, like at the bar. I also like to tip housekeeping the first time they clean the room so that I don't feel bad asking for extra's. I also feel it insures that they do a really good job too.

I find that if I tip a little extra, most of the people remember me and give me even better service, I make sure I get their name so I can use it when I talk to them.

But when it comes to wait-staff, I don't tip extra if I have to ask for everything & if the server doesn't have a personality I go with the standard tip.

Jeleja I read that you are in Columbus, O- what area of town do you live? I'm from Columbus.
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:07 PM
First Mate

Not to be 'nosey' but, about how much do you tip housekeeping on the first time they clean? Do you hand it to them? If you are not there when they clean, do you just leave it somewhere they can see it with a note? I live on the far north side, Worthington/Polaris area. Where are you?
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The Maitre' D oversees a section of the dining room and is basically the boss of a group of waiters and assistant waiters. He can handle special requests such as birthday's or special wine or assist with problems. If all he does is come by and say hi and then stops by on the last night, I usually don't tip. If he does do something out of the ordinary, I do.

jelaja:

I don't tip the Cabin Steward for cleaning the room until the end of the cruise and then the standard amount, if that's all they do. This is part of their standard duty. I may pre-tip them for bringing an additional wine bucket, a mattress pad, telling them I need 4 towels per day instead of 2, etc. You can tip someone for whatever you like but I would advise not to go overboard.

We had a Room Steward on Norwegian Sky, Dominador, that was phenomenal and he did little things to make my wife happy such as getting her hearts of palm each night, finding Jordan Almonds for her pillow, making special towel animals. That guy got one great tip during and at the end of the cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Admiral

jeleja, this is what I tip upfront.

Streward $20
Waiter $10
Asst. waiter $10

I tip the assistant the same at this time because I find that she is the one that really provides the most service. At the end they all get the recommended amount plus more if I felt that they went up and above. The Maitre'd gets tipped if he is attentive as our last two have been. On our last cruise we did give the bartender and waiters in the Schooner bar because they always made sure there was a drink in front of us. {{grin}}

Edited for spelling.

Post Edited (07-30-04 11:59)
Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Admiral

we don't tip until the end of the cruise, unless we have a special request or something like that, then we tip at the time of service.
We usually tip the assistant waiter more than our main waiter because he/she is the one who really works the hardest. They are the ones who go back and forth to get your drinks, who are constantly filling your water glass, they are the ones who bring your food out from the kitchen and they clean your table when you are finished.
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:49 PM
First Mate

I read somewhere that they have to 'pool' their tips. Is this true?
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Oh boy, now we're gonna here from that guy on the tipping thread. {{grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 30th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Here is a tip calculater that breaks items down.
Might be of some help.

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Old July 30th, 2004, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Hey Set2cruz,

You mean Tokyorose?

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: I'm still confused about the tipping..

I tip at least $5.00 and if they do a really good job I'll leave extra out with a note and a big thank you. It really depends, if I meet them in the hall I feel them out by talking to them, sometimes you can just tell by personality if they'll do a good job.

Upper Arlington. When are you cruising?
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:35 PM
First Mate

8/15 - Inspiration..When is your next cruise? How many others have you been on?
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

I read something on the "Tipping" thread , that bummed me.
I too tipped extra, because of the outstanding service we got. I removed the charges from my ships account. Thought it would be nice to put the standard amount plus the extra into the envelopes and hand it to them personaly.
What I read on the tipping thread is that the tips are pooled, and the only way they can keep the "extra" is if you keep the recommended amount on your account.
They are suppose to report the amount they receive, and many people have said they wittness them doing so (waiters) by leaving the table after receive the envelopes and going to an office, where they check to see if the recommended amount was left on the pass. account.
I really wanted our waiter to have that extra amount all to himself, now I know better

Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:15 AM
Admiral

I just want to thank everyone that posted on this thread..lots of good advice and information that has been very helpful..thanks Steve for the link to the calculator..that puts it all in perspective..It would hurt my feelings if I thought that I may have stiffed any of the hard working people that made my first cruise experience a big delight. I hope that it was not just a fluke and dont think it was..I would never stiff anyone on purpose and that is why I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing..that's just me though..Again..Thank You to each of you for your time and effort..
John

Old July 31st, 2004, 11:21 AM
First Mate

So, cruzfever, if I leave the tip amount on my S & S account, whatever I give them in cash is theirs to keep and don't have to pool? I just want to make sure I fully understand. I was going to have the tip removed from my account, because if I get good service, I will tip well beyond what is expected. But, if this is correct, and they have to pool their tips if I clear it from my S & S account , I will just leave the recommended amount on my S & S account so that anyone I want to give 'extra' to, can keep it all to theirself.
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:13 PM
Lynne &Trevor

My hubby isn't a big fan of tipping in general-anywhere- (It's in his genes), so the automatic tipping policy is excellent for him because it's taken care of within the account. He accepts that. However, he will tip the Steward, and has, on the last day if he likes him and feels that he's done a good job. He will do that for any good service that he comes across at the moment. Depending on his mood, he will give a larger than normal tip if he thinks he had great time.
I will go to the Calculator and see how that works. I have given my two cents worth on the tipping board, as well, so no need to go into it anymore here. (I believe in tips!) Lynne

Old August 1st, 2004, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: I'm still confused about the tipping..

Jeleja
That was my understanding. I tried looking it up again on the "tipping" thread, but couldn't find which question it was under. But did find another on on the "tipping"thread under, Another first time cruiser confused. Read McCall post, it's the second one posted

Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas