Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2002, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Default Has this ever happened to you?

I haven't come in from basking in the sun recently to tell you all about our ferry trip to Cozumel (which was AWESOME!) I would definately take the ferry again.
Minor Problem:
We didn't call Visa to tell them that we would be traveling internationally. After 2 trips, totalling $100.00 to the market, they put a hold on our card-- just in time for it to freeze as we were booking our diving excursions!!!!! $100.00 charged--- can you believe that!Try calling the states from a hotel in Mexico (ugh). The card would work one time, then quit. Another phone call, one time usage, quite.

Moral of the story... let your credit card company know you will be out of the country. We only took $300.00 cash and were going through it very quickly (cabs, ferry, etc). Just a minor snag in an otherwise FABULOUS adventure! The ATM did work however. It made us rethink our money situation when traveling!

Factoid: You can't purchase alcohol in Mexico on Sunday!

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

We always do Kym.....but thanks for the reminder.

Old July 8th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Admiral

What a bummer, Kym! We had the same thing happen to us.....at Palmeras, no less. We had bought a round of 'ritas for the entire group at our large table, and one of our cruising buddies had to bail me out when AMEX refused to honor the charge. Just like you, we had neglected to tell AMEX that we would be out of the country. About an hour later, MasterCard pulled the same thing on CruiseCam. We learned from the experience. Now, we notify the credit card companies EVERY time we leave home, even on a short land trip.

Sure glad you were able to get your dives in! Got pix?
Old July 8th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Good advice, Kym.

Credit card companies are becoming increasingly more vigilant about unusual purchases.

It's even a good idea to call and advise if you are about to make major purchases in your own home town if the charges don't follow your usual pattern.

Aside: One Monday I received a phone call from a credit card company. I figured they were trying to sell me some special deal and told them to bug off. "Well, unless you charged over $3,000 last weekend, you want to talk to us."

A cashier had "palmed" my card in a store while I was chatting with an acquaintance. I simply didn't notice.

She waited a couple of weeks, charged 5 cents worth of gas to make sure the card had not been cancelled, and bought all kinds of cool stuff. I could have used that new refrigerator.

The bank's computers noticed the unusual activity and stopped the card. They told me the last charge before the shopping orgy and I was able to ID the cashier from MY last purchase because of some remarkable dental work so they didn't even charge the $50.

It was kind of fun to go to the store and say, "That's the one."

Post Edited (07-08-02 12:42)
Old July 8th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

My experience with AMEX was when we were on our way to the cancelled Hawaii cruise. I had called them to let them know I would be traveling to Hawaii and Canada (I did this because they put a hold on my card during business travel that took me to 5 southern states in 4 days). Well, needless to say, the charges during that time were in the Caribbean and after the 1st port, my card didn't work anymore. I had to call them, explain what was going on and then immediately my card was reactivated. I appreciate that AMEX does this for my protection, but it can be a pain to get resolved.

Jodi

Old July 8th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Yeoman

I always call my credit card co. before leaving on a cruise or any vacation for that matter. Also tell them I will be gambling and not to deny me credit. Never had a problem!
Old July 8th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Admiral

I got a call from my credit card co one day about frequent trips to the gas station. They asked me if I had been using my card for gas that day. I hadn't so then I looked for my card and found that it was missing. As I use another card, I probably wouldn't have missed this one for quite a while. I later found out that three other people had their cards stolen from their puses at work that same day. I was glad that the credit company was on the ball.
I never think to call them to let them know when I'm traveling. No trouble so far. From now on I will be keeping them updated on my travel plans.
Thanks for the info.
Phyll
Old July 8th, 2002, 02:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re:Has this ever happened to you?

Interesting experience, thanks for the tip on something I hadn't thought about.

As a side note I sure would not want to be on Pamdas "hate" list and have her pointing ME out as "that's him, he's the one" !

Any advice on Coz? My plan next week is lunch and 'rita at Panchos, then Palmeras for a 'rita and last stop Carlos & Charlies as by then I won't care if the 'rita is good or bad.

Doug
Old July 8th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Did not happen to me,,,but did to my cousin on our last cruise,,,in Jamica,,,,was very upsetting,,,had to call credit card co. and finally got it all worked out. But we all learned a valuable lession that day. We call now.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old July 8th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Admiral

If you can still direct a taxi, Doug, don't forget Papa Hog's Scuba Emporium for another 'rita. Just be sure to have one for CruiseCam and me, OK?
Old July 8th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Admiral

That happened to me in Barbados when I was buying a very nice ring. The store called my credit card company - I got on the line and identified myself and the sale went through. Since then, I've called the credit card company before leaving town.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 8th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

My Am Ex is used so heavily they send me a replacement card every month <G>

They generally question the charges if I use the card in town. lol

Old July 8th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Admiral

I learn something new everyday..........I will notify CC Co when we go on cruise. Thanks all. So sensible .....no wonder I have'nt been doing that!

Old July 8th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Had something also happen to me with our credit card today. Recieved a letter in the mail stating to call the fraud dept. of my credit card company to verify information. Seems some got ahold of our CC # and was charging away, they just wanted to make sure that they were our charges, which they were NOT. Don't know exactly what red flag went up for them to question the charges, with a total of $765. So, needless to say, we had to cancel that number and wait a week to 10 days for a replacement. Have no idea how/where someone got our number, but I do occasionally purchase things on-line and use that card, only that card, so I'm thinking that somehow someone got the number that way. Have been using the same card for on-line purchases for years, so beware out there for this problem too.

I think before out cruise in Aug. I will definitely call them and let them know we will be cruising and charging :-) Thanks for the tip.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 8th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I've never notified my cc companies whenever I have traveled out of state or out of country - but I ususally don't make major purchases out of country - could that have something to do with it? But I will definitely let them know in the future!

Old July 9th, 2002, 02:20 AM
First Mate

Hey Doug... DT is the Cozumel expert. All we did was dive and eat. We found a fabulous guy selling homemade tamales out of a stand in front of his house. Left side of Town Square, turn left on the street right before the church. Go half way up the street. It's next door to a dive shop. He opens after 8 p.m. Best tamales I've ever had! He puts hard boiled eggs in them! The chicken is great... bean tamales were so so. Fab baked goods too. Enjoy your trip!