Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to mikedal
Default Balcony versus Mini Suite

I am new to this forum and need some opinions. Is it worth the extra money to upgrade to a mini suite if we have a balcony booked on the Star Princess for a Mexican Rivera cruise? We have only cruised once before to Alaska on the Sun Princess with a balcony cabin and we really enjoyed it. (Which we won in a sweepstakes, by the way!) Just how much difference is there between the two and what are the perks, pros and cons? Any suggestions on the Mexican Rivera would be appreciated too (knowing that it is much cheaper to book your own shore excursions - learned from the first cruise!) Any and all replies welcomed from this inexperienced Wyoming traveler.

Post Edited (07-13-02 20:42)
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Balcony versus Mini Suite

On the Grand class ships (of which the Star is one) the minisuites are a little larger, they are lower on the ship (Dolphin and Emerald decks) have larger balconies and have a small sitting area as compared to the regular balcony cabins. Hope this helps.

Old July 14th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would stick with the balcony cabin since there are just two of you. The BA cabins are the best (Caribe deck) and overlook the minisuite balconies which are not much larger than the BAs.
EIther way you will really enjoy yourself on a grand class ship.
kimann
Old July 14th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Admiral

It all depends in the cost between the 2 - for $100 more a person, I would go with minisuite. If it is more then that, I probably would go with Caribe deck.
Old July 14th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

On the Star, I'd stick with the balcony, too.

We were on the Sea Princess in February, and on it, the Mini-Suites are massive. But on the Star, they look more like the suites on Royal Carribean.

In terms of shore excursions, check out my Sea Princess review under "member reviews" I talk a lot about what to do in port on your own.

Harry
Old July 14th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Admiral

I'd take the balcony over a mini-suite. I'd rather have both, of course, but I spend a lot more time on a balcony than I ever do in a stateroom. I do like the larger room and bathroom, though.
Old July 16th, 2002, 07:38 AM
First Mate

we are going on the Dawn in Jan. and have looked at the mini-suites, the biggest draw (tongue wagging) for me is the walk-in closet and the tub in the bathroom.

But at the moment, the cost is way high so we are sticking with our balconey cabin which we have had before and really enjoyed.

but someday I am going to try the mini-suite, suite category.