Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Default Do you keep in contact with staff from ships?

We've met many wonderful staff from ships, some of whom I keep in contact with at Christmas and thru email at various times during the year.

We met one of the Assistant Purser's (Susan) on the Crown Princess Trans-Atlantic, she dined every evening with her parents (on-board for the sailing) and the 'Ice Captain' (and no, that is NOT a nickname that KayakGuy has given me) in the dining room. We became friendly with her thru our tablemates who had met her the year before on the Grand Princess in the Mediterranean. We had a great time with them, invited to several special events during the cruise. We've kept in contact with her thru the occasional email and have visited with her when the ship she is on has been in Baltimore or a port close to where we are.

Then on the same cruise we met Will, the Assistant Cruise Director. We always hear from him when he is off ship and call frequently when he is home.

Then there was Sara, whom I met last summer on the Millennium. Heard from her several times during the year. Well, just before leaving for the Summit in May, I had an email from her. She 'heard' thru the grapevine (the Captain's wife from the Mercury) that I was sailing on the Summit, and that she was looking forward to seeing me again and was there anything she could do. Well, I asked her to see if she could get some of us at the same table. It was great sailing with her again and renewing acquaintance. Celebrity has a Class Act with Social Hostess Sara.

Heard last week from Susan, guess where she is going to be in August, yup, you guessed it, on the Star Princess in August and she is planning on dining with us every evening.

Then yesterday, found out that Will was detailed to the Grand Princess, which I'm sailing on over Thanksgiving.

Now, if I only had someone on the Golden in October and the Regal in January that I knew.....
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2002, 07:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Do you keep in contact with staff from ships?

Yes, CA ..... you got THAT right.......Sara is a class act ....... and as OreckMan says.....has great legs! Well, I guess we get to meet Susan next month in Alaska, too .....OreckMan wants to know about HER legs???

Some 'sailors' have a 'sweetheart' in every port ..... before long you will have at least one contact on every ship!!!

Old July 23rd, 2002, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Although we've met some wonderful staff members, and looked forward to seeing them on future cruises, we've never maintained contact with them. It was nice to see some of them a again, though, even on different ships.
Old July 23rd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Admiral

The only one I keep in contact with is the one I brought home with me. <VBG>
jennifer
Old July 23rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Jennifer!

We haven't been in contact with any but I gave an invite to our waiter/asst. waiter from the Destiny (who happened to be engaged) to visit us when the Destiny is dry docked this coming September in Newport News VA. We have also ran into a waiter from one sailing on another ship.....he spotted and remembered us!

Old July 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Joyful

I brought mine home with me, too, Dezertcruiser!

After two years of cruising every few months to see him (week-end cruises, mostly), him coming here during drydocks, lots of phone calls and two boxes full of letters and cards that went both ways..... that was almost 13 years ago (we met 15 years ago).

We keep in contact with some of his fellow crew members still, after all these years. We even ran into his former boss on a cruise we took a few years ago (he was the Cruise Director)! He (cruise director) tried to talk him into coming back to work for him, before my husband had a chance to say no, I spoke up and said no!
Old July 23rd, 2002, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ChrisC

Yes we do by the way. We are in contact with several by email. And my son spent a week in Hungary with our waiter from the Voyager. They are great friends. Met some wonderful people on ships.
Old July 23rd, 2002, 12:43 PM
Admiral

We do keep in contact with a few we have met. There is a Second Officer who lives in Italy that we talk to often, a couple of CD's that I also keep in touch with, one ending up being a pretty good friend, and one lady that has ended up being so close to us that we consider her part of the family and are in touch weekly at least and more often than not daily. We love to talk to crew as many of them have and lead very interesting lives and they also love to keep in touch with others they have meet.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 23rd, 2002, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Default Re:Do you keep in contact with staff from ships?

Hey CA I'd keep in contact with Sara. She sure was a sweetie
My guess is that most of the cruise directors and social hostesses out there have been warned to keep an eye out for you! Once you've sailed with them they won't forget you and will probably be telling stories on all the cruises afterwards.

You should have been on the Grand last week John. The most traveled passenger only had about 240 days on Princess, with 180 and 178 getiing 2nd and 3rd. Have you even gotten any of that China they give away? Even I was in the top 34 aboard ship last week
(and I got an obstructed view outside!)

Doug
Old July 23rd, 2002, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I have a hard time trying to keep in touch with all the wonderful people we meet on cruises, including the crew. So many GREAT folks... it's getting to be a full time job<G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 23rd, 2002, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

We sure do. Captains wife, wine steward, social hostess and an individual from the pursers desk. All great people. We add more each time we cruise with these special people.

Old July 24th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Do you keep in contact with staff from ships?

Yes, I have kept in touch with a wonder cruise director from Celebrity......even though he is as busy as he is...he manages to drop a line every once and awhile.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Admiral

On our first cruise, we had a wonderful Social Hostess and had the pleasure of cruising with her again. We became quite friendly.

She took some time off from the waves and worked at a travel agency nearby so we reconnected. Then I lost her.

On Horizon, having cocktails before the Captain's table dinner thing, I asked the Social Hostess, Kim, if she knew Lisa.

Another CruiseMate, with whom I'd connected the day before, looked at me in amazement. "You know Lisa, TOO ???"

Thus began Peggy's hunt for Lisa. She found her about ten days ago. Sweet!

I've been keeping in contact with Captain George Pangiotakis -- who was our first Captain -- for years. Just by sailing on "his" ships. He has a phenomenal memory. On Summit, as the Social Hostess was introducing people to the Captain before dinner he said something along the lines of, "I have known this lady for many years." He told me he's bringing the Constellation across, so I guess #6 sailing with him is coming up once he gets her here.

We just seem to keep tripping over crew that we remember --- and that remembers us. One night at dinner I was perusing the wine list and a voice from the next table said something like, "Number 81. The chardonnay." It was a fellow who had been our wine steward twice and was on his way to Bermuda to get married.

Just walking along on Summit I heard my name being called. It was Sarah who had been the Social Hostess on our Millenium trip, now in charge of the Kiddie Gulag on Summit.

Wonder who we find the next time?

Post Edited (07-24-02 13:30)