Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Be honest, do you read other cruise message boards?

I have to admit I do stray over at times to read other cruise message boards. But after reading the ridicule and derogatory comments against posters the interest is lost.

At CruiseMates we are family and not bickering neighbors.

So be honest, do you sneak over to other cruise message boards? ... And your thoughts!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)
Default Re: Be honest, do you read other cruise message boards?

I don't sneak to other boards, I visit openly. This is the first place I visit and what a wonderful group of folks we have here. I then visit Cruise-Addicts where I have been a regular poster for over 2 years. I occasionally check in at CruiseCritics and Cruise2 but I rarely post on CC or C2. CM and C@ are my favorite boards.

Old July 24th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Of course I do. I look at CruiseCritic about once a week and Cruise2 every month or so, posting periodically to answer or ask a question. I lurk on the @board about once every 7-10 days. My thoughts? You don't want to go there, Steve.
Old July 24th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I did at first, but now I am strictly CM addicted. The other sites were not nearly as organized, friendly, or informative.

Jodi

Old July 24th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Admiral

I post on this board and CruiseCritic.

CruiseCritic seems to have a larger population and I can get several answers to my questions there.

Though this is home and where my friends are. I post most frequently here.

The "other board" that I won't mention is now a strange place to visit.
Old July 24th, 2002, 08:02 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Found out about this board through CruiseCritic. One poster directed me here to check out the reviews, etc.. Liked the humor, friendliness and quick responses Now you are stuck with me. ggg

Suzanne
Old July 24th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

This is the first and last place I visit everyday, or almost. I do check out the "others" a few times a week and actually post once in awhile. Quite frankly, the others just don't compare on any levels, Cruisemates just has the best subjects and the posters are the best, thats what makes these so great!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Even though each day I come to the Cruisemates board first, I then also look at 2 other cruise message boards. I do post on all 3 boards from time to time. I enjoy each of the sites for different reasons - each has its own flavor and fascination for me. I also have met and enjoyed the friendship of folks from Cruisemates, Cruise-Addicts and Cruise Critic and hope to continue to do so.
Cindy
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Captain

I always check other boards. I find each board has its good and bad points and each board has some great people and some that are very annoying. I check out each board for different reasons. I do have a favorite board but I find each board very useful.
Old July 24th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Admiral

I agree with Tom and Theresa.
:O)
This is home. I have been to cruisecritic a few times and cruise2 about once every 2 months. Another board, I no longer even read, (personal reasons).
I like it here. I have friends here and I "belong" here. No wool, no rose colored glasses, no airs.......
:O)

Post Edited (07-24-02 13:10)
Old July 24th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Sue2

Default Re: Re: Be honest, do you read other cruise message boards?

Once in a while I go and read a few posts on other boards. But I find this board friendly and helpful.

Enchantment 2000
Majesty2001
Explorer of the Seas 2002
Old July 24th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Steve,
I used to enjoy visiting all the cruise web sites I could find. Liked seeing all the varying opinions on things. Somehow I don't seem to have as much free time now, so I pretty much stick to CruiseMates.

Every site does have its own personality, and I just happen to think that we have the best balance of fun and information...and the thing that really sets CruiseMates apart I think is that the site offers SO MUCH MORE than a just simple message board.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 24th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Admiral

I always read this one first. I used to like Cruise@, but there is too much extraneous material there, and the board seems to fill up with new messages in a couple of hours. If I post a poem there, most people miss it.
Old July 24th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Admiral

I'll take a look at others sometimes, mostly to see what newbie cruisers are asking questions about.

I call it research.

Old July 24th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Linda T.

I check the other boards if I'm looking for something specific. Right now I go to cruisecritic everyday because they have so many Norway cruisers. There aren't too many here at cruisemates and I like to read everything I can about a ship before I go. I don't get the feeling of "family" there that I do here tho. This board is just so friendly that it feels like home. linda
Old July 24th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Admiral

This was really the first message board I found that seemed so well layed out and easy to use. Since I have found that cruising can be addictive and there are long times between cruises, I was happy to stumble on a place where you can keep the dream alive while also meeting so many wonderful people.
In answer to the question-this is really the only board I look at each day. This too has become an addiction. Seems like I don't get a lot accomplished in a day and it's all your fault. ;-)

Phyll

(I may have to do the Cruise Mates 12 step program.)
Old July 24th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Absolutely...no sneaking involved ..... read and post mostly on @ddicts, but occasionally on CC & C2 (mostly just lurk there). I am here because my friends are, but don't find that I can gain any more info here than any of the others ..... answers to all questions can be found for the asking on all of the mentioned sites. What I abhor on ALL of the sites....this one included, is the pot-shots taken at the other sites......there is no need for that behavior on anyone's part.

Old July 24th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Admiral

"What I abhor on ALL of the sites....this one included, is the pot-shots taken at the other sites......there is no need for that behavior on anyone's part."
Mgram..

Mgram.. I agree with you ABSOLUTELY!! It's a great big INTERNET.. and cruise enthusiasts deserve the opportunity to reach many opinions in their research.. or just places to spend time with like minded cruisers until their next cruise.

Personally, I don't think anyone can make themselves look better, by putting someone or someplace else down. It doesn't work in life either!!! The result is normally the opposite.

Old July 24th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Strange, Kuki....because YOU are the main culprit, here....on MORE than 1 occasion when a newbie has asked about other cruise sites, you have asked them why they would want to go anywhere else....to a site that has 'blocked a CM Staffer', a site that censors/and or changes posts and content (which is their right, I might add)....then in fact you must have realized how heavy-handed you were on 1 of those occasions and DELETED your own post (or had it done....whichever). So....my point being......there is NO room for sniping.....including MINE, but don't try to say that YOU have NOT been guilty of what I said that I abhor......DELETE AWAY!!!!!!!!

Old July 24th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Mgram...
As a matter of fact, just last week someone posted asking about other message boards... I responded listing all those I know of, and had NO problem doing so.

I have in the past questioned the integrity of a site where posts are edited, not by the poster, but by the board administrators. It is the right of EVERY board administrator to delete any posts which violate their terms of use agreements.
It is NO ONE's right to edit the words of a poster, to make them appear to say something they did not say. In fact, my guess is that it's illegal.
If they feel the post is a violation of their user agreement, then delete it by all means, but to edit the post is shameful!!!
I can't imagine how much you'd agree it was our "right" if I went in and edited your post above, so that it read as if you were praising me!!

And I most certainly have NEVER voiced any opinion when a CM staffer has been blocked from a site. That's not really of interest to me.
The only issue to me is when someone edits someone else's post. It's dishonest! But my way of dealing with it, was to quit visiting that site.

Old July 24th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Kuki, I agree that a post should NEVER be altered .... I know the one to which you refer and the poster GAVE HER PERMISSION to have it changed.....because she was unaware that she had hit on a touchy subject on that site.

<<<<<<<"And I most certainly have NEVER voiced any opinion when a CM staffer has been blocked from a site. That's not really of interest to me." >>>>>>

As for you NEVER voicing that opinion........I sure wish I had saved that post....because you DID say that there was a site that had blocked a CM staffer .... I hope that others who remember reading it before it was deleted will back me up here......it's the only 'proof', other than my word, that I have.

Old July 24th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

I agree with Mgram, and I remember that post well, and I have to agree with Mgram that not only Kuki has been guilty of board bashing but a number of the staffers like to take pot shots at C@ in subtle ways whenever they can. It comes across like they (CruiseMates) are jealous of Cruise-Addict’s success. I don't always agree with the mgmt of the Cruise-@ddicts board, and I may not care for EVERYTHING posted on the board, but they too are an overall friendly bunch of folks just like the ones here. It too has a “Family Friendly” atmosphere. I have never completely understood why my friends here let a few individuals who they didn’t care for at C@, run them off (so to speak).

Old July 24th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Mgram,

I wont argue you this point forever, because it's rather pointless, but there were altered posts on MORE THAN ONE occassion. They weren't my posts, so how would I know? I received e-mail from SEVERAL people telling me what they posted, and telling me to look at what the posts now said. They had been altered. Why? Because they mentioned CruiseMates.

Of course, there was nothing to be done, other than I did mention the practice here when a thread on web sites came up. I certainly didn't come running back to post denegrating the site. Nor did I even mention which cruise site it was; simply commented on the practice!

And frankly that's all ancient history to me. Some involved in the "little battle" still carry a torch apparently, but I wasn't involved, so it means nothing to me, other than being a minor annoyance, when someone wants to dredge up past hurt feelings.

Old July 24th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Hatchet buried.

Old July 24th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Y'mean there are other cruise message boards?????????? :-) Actually, I've been on only one other and found CruiseMates through that one. Thanks to everyone's postings, I have some others to check out.
Old July 24th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I discovered Cruisemates first.....and when I told friends about it they told me about a few others sites.....all of which have been mentioned by previous posters....I definitely like this site best...it is easy to read, follow, friendly, etc........so I think I'll stay! (If it's OK with all of you!)

Kathy
Old July 24th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Denise,
Now you have me curious.. I'm going to have to go thread searching<G>
I could have been referring to myself and when I left Cruise Critic with Anne Campbell, to join CruiseMates. At the time they shut down my screenname, and threatened to sue if I posted there, which I didn't think was all that friendly a gesture<G>
But that was now 3 years ago, so as I said.. ancient history!

As far as Cruise addicts was concerned, I had and have no problem with them other than the post editing. I used to post there on occassion until those incidents.

Any success cruise sites have on the NET, where cruise enthusiasts have a place to meet and have fun is a good thing, not a bad thing.
As a matter of fact, it's good for all the other sites... similar to having popular restaurants and bars on the same street!

We at CruiseMates are very happy with our own success...with page views in the millions per month... so honestly have no reason to be jealous of anyone.

If U EVER again catch me putting down a person or web site, without VERY just cause... SLAP ME HARD!!!!
Old July 24th, 2002, 04:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Nope, won´t slap you hard. Will take away your antlers. ggg

Suzanne
Old July 24th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Admiral

OH Kuki, can I volunteer to do the 'slapping' - VBEG
Old July 24th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Would that be "altered" or "antlered" posts ???