Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL-- AT what PER DAY cost do u think U have a REAL BARGAIN

The past couple of years, with the seeming overexpansion of the cruise lines, we've been seeing some incredible pricing on cruises. The general rule of thumb I used to use to judge a GREAT bargain.. $100/per/day, seems to have fallen by the way side a bit. Now we're seeing balcony cabins on our CruiseMates cruises for @$100/day/person. So.. today's question...

What price per day, per person, makes you sit up and take notice, and gets you pounding your chest bragging about the GREAT DEAL you got?

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL-- AT what PER DAY cost do u think U have a REAL BAR

The best deal I ever got was an upper level outside cabin. It was a seven day cruise from Jamaica through the Panama Canal with stops in Cartagena, San Blas, Puerto Limon and back to Jamaica. This trip included round trip air from SFO for $729 plus port fees, so it ended up $888 p.p. air inclusive. It was a great trip too.

In general $100 per day per person is a good deal.

I just saw a posting of a 22 day trip from Vancouver B.C. to Russia, Korea. Japan and China for $999. That works out to about $45 per day per person. I wish I had the time off in late September.
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

I have used the $100 pd pp for many years now. When I see that figure I set up and take notice. The first thing I do when I find an interesting Itin I look at the price. If it includes more than 1 cruise (back to back), I add them and devide by the number of days. If it comes close to the 100 range or below then I start upping the categories to see what I can afford. We also try to find destinations that we have never visited. That is getting hard to find. I told Helen we have got to revisit some of these places in order to get to the new ones. Oh yes the best deal we have found so far is in the range of $37 pd pp. But we also have to take the over 100 sometimes.

Ray
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Whatever the credit card balance will handle !
Old July 24th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Admiral

I am with the 100 dollar per day figure.

Old July 24th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Same here. $100 pp is where I think a bargain stands. On our upcoming RCCL cruise it's $84.75.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 24th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

When we book a balcony, I look for between $114 to $125 per day (that includes port). For an inside room, I stand up and take notice at about $62 to $70 per day (including port).

Best deal ever was the repositioning cruise from Ensenada to Seattle (stops in San Francisco and Victoria) -- balcony stateroom on Norwegian Sky for $69 a night (including port). (Wish I could find a deal like that again!)

Harry
Old July 24th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Admiral

On price alone I think anything at or around $100 is a bargain and if less than that great.
But, what are you getting? Inside, outside Balconey etc? Carnival, Seaborne?
Also a factor is where it sails from and how much it costs to get there.
Example, although not too many posters on this board do Windjammer, on occaission
you can book a last minute berth for half price(as low as $350 or $59 aday). Problem is , they release these rooms two weeks or so before sailing. Airfares to their more exotic ports of embarkation like Grenada, Tortola etc can be $1000 or even $1500
for a last minute ticket. Kind of kills the bargain cruise fare. I've paid almost $200
per day to sail to Bermuda from NY but I have zero airfare and can be on the ship an hour after walking out my front door.
Old July 24th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Kuki... I have to agree with Mike M on this one. I know what you're trying to get at but the "question" seems to assume all cruise lines offer products of equal value, category for category in the Premium brands... not to mention the Luxury Brands. It seems to me that $100 or $90 per day is a superb deal on a Celeb or HAL Veranda but not too much of a deal say on an NCL or Carnival standard cabin.

I'm glad you prefaced the word "overexpansion" with the word "seeming". I don't agree with that characterization at all. Actually, the coming on line of new berths is equal to or slightly less than predicted growth of demand, over time. There will never be an exact match, week by week, of demand growth and new berth availability, so a temporary surplus of berths may appear in the marketplace from time to time and this works to the advantage of the buyer. And, there are also short term effects from extraneous events, such as 9/11 and glitches in the economy which can affect the balance.

I think that these boards obviously attract readers who are in tune with Cruising as a vacation option. We should not lose sight of the interesting statistics which consistently point out that Cruising dollars represent just the tiniest fraction of dollars spent in the leisure travel market and that just a tiny percentage of economically qualified North America residents have ever even set foot on a cruise ship. When you add in the value that cruising offers, the prospects for this segment of the leisure market are superb... which cannot hurt CruiseMates, either.

Hey... $150 per day on the QE2 ain't a bad deal either!

Post Edited (07-24-02 13:42)
Old July 24th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Yes, of course, as Mike and Ernie point out it does depend on the cruise line. If I could get on Raddison Mariner for $100/day, I'd not only thing I found a GREAT deal! I'd be buying lottery tickets too!
Heck, I'd even celebrate by taking Mrs Kuki along <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 24th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Kuki:

I think my Radisson Mariner at $250 per day is a great deal!

When you figure the $100/day, how much do you also add fof tips, drinks, etc? Also, how much do you add for gambling, shore excursions, etc. I think a QE2 crossing might be cheaper than a mainline Alaska when all is said and done (and paid for).

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 24th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Hey I think I have found a real good deal when the cruise I want to go on is the cruise I booked. Once I book it I stop looking at or comparing prices. Don't even want to know if I could have gotten it for less. I agree with CA, if I can afford it and I want to go on it, it's a great deal.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old July 24th, 2002, 11:50 PM
First Mate

We paid $79 USD each per day incl taxes port fees for LA to Mexico return. The child rate worked out to $27 USD per day for a JJ on the Sea Princess. Including air, 1 night hotel it was $114,and $68 for the 8 days. Our 12yr old paid more for air than the ship, transfers etc.!

As I've said elsewhere, we're booked on the Star Princess at spring break w/o child. This is cheaper than a 4-5 star All-inclusive in Mexico, so if you can beat those prices I think it's a good deal. Better food and more entertainment, less sand where there shouldn't be sand!.
Old July 25th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Happy Camper

We are around $65 per day (I did 7 days not 8 - right?) for an inside cabin. This is the cheapest so far. Since we do not have to fly and the port is only 1 hour away it really keeps the price down. I guess though we look at the whole package not just the cruise. How much is the whole package with air, hotel if needed, gas and or parking or rental cars, taxis etc. This trip is $912 for the cruise but $99 + tax for a hotel so the parking will be free and about $10 in gas. That is cheap for us. Last Nov. was $1100 for an outside cabin out of new Orleans but $130 in two one way rental cars so I did not have to pay for parking or worry about my car, $40 in gas and $130 on a hotel and $50 in cab fees. The Southern caribbean routes are great but add in air and they are expensive... Just happy to be cruising this year! Debbie