Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:23 PM
First Mate

Default Over 140 ill on Ryndam

Over 140 aboard cruise ship fall ill

Thursday, July 25, 2002

Holland America's Ryndam cruise ship.

Holland America ship Ryndam docked in Vancouver with 135 passengers and nine crew suffering flu-like symptoms. A similar virus afflicted travellers on a VIA Rail train earlier this week. [Global BC]

VANCOUVER -- Dozens of passengers aboard a Holland America cruise ship from Alaska have come down with a mysterious illness.

The cruise ship Ryndam arrived in Vancouver Thursday morning, carrying 135 people and nine crew members who have come down with flu-like symptoms. That represents almost 10 per cent of everyone on board.

Health officials are now checking them for something called the Norwalk virus, a flu-type epidemic that causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pains.

Officials say a similar virus afflicted several passengers aboard a VIA Rail train earlier this week.

Pacific Princess Papeete to Sydney

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Over 140 ill on Ryndam

This same situation (same symptoms) occured on a Princess ship a couple of weeks back. Obviously some type of virus up there that's spreading itself around.
Have to feel bad for those affected.

Old July 25th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Oh JOY!!!!!!.....thanks for the cheery news Heather! How will I know the difference between that and the 'cruise crud' I always end up with?!?!?!? Thanks for the warning....will make sure we keep our hands extra clean.

Old July 25th, 2002, 07:38 PM
First Mate

Mgram.....'cruise crud' ? <vbg> They are sailing tonight again for Alaska. Must have cleared up the problem.

Pacific Princess Papeete to Sydney

Old July 25th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Yep, Heather......I have a great track record of picking up a major upper respiratory infection almost every time I fly/cruise....usually end up with bronchitis. I was in bed for 2 days in Honolulu before we boarded the Summit. I am taking all of the hints that I saw on another site with me this time!

Old July 25th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Mgram - If this is similar to the virus on the Princess ships - it is a GI problem not a respiratory one. Just watch what you eat and wash your hands thoroughly - but you already know that!

Old July 25th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Admiral

That's what I get for speed reading, Lisa....I saw Flu-type and didn't read the symptoms....thanks! Will be as careful as we can be.

Old July 25th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

From what I have been reading, this Norwalk-like virus hits every year during the Alaska cruise season. The best defense is a good offense!

Old July 25th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Over 140 ill on Ryndam, message from Centre for Disease

Read this: from the Centre for Disease Control:

1600 Clifton Road, MS D-25, Atlanta, GA 30333 - Phone: 404.639.3286 FAX: 404.639.7394
Media Home | Contact Us

Norwalk-like Viruses
November 28, 1997
(404) 639*3286

*Norwalk viruses (and related caliciviruses) are important causes of sporadic and epidemic gastrointestinal disease in the United States. An estimated 181,000 cases occur annually.
*Viral gastroenteritis due to caliciviruses has been associated with eating contaminated oysters. Oysters can become contaminated before harvest or during preparation. Water and ice are other sources of infection.
*Symptoms of Norwalk virus infection include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. Headache and low-grade fever may also occur. Persons with this infection usually recover within 2-3 days without serious or long-term health effects.
*Shellfish become contaminated via infected fecal matter from sick food handlers, or by the practice of some harvesters and/or recreational boaters of dumping raw sewage overboard. (Note: the only source of calicivirus is feces from sick persons.)
*Since 1993, three oyster-related gastroenteritis outbreaks, attributed to calicivirus, have been documented in Louisiana. In 1993, 73 persons in Louisiana and about 130 others in the United States who ate oysters from Louisiana became ill. A malfunctioning sewage system was the cause of an outbreak in 1996. The current outbreak implicates sewage from oyster harvesting vessels as the probable source.
*Oyster-related outbreaks probably will continue to occur until seafood regulators and the oyster industry develop and enforce standards for proper disposal of human sewage. Food handlers with symptoms of Norwalk-like illness should limit contact with other persons and be excluded from food handling and preparation.
Old July 26th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

My parents got deathly ill on the Statendam at the tail end of their Panama Canal cruise last year. My mom traced it back to some bad mayonnaise in a Waldorf salad. To this day, I avoid all mayo-based dishes on ships.

Also, thanks to great advice from Pamda in "Cruise Control," I become like Howard Hughes on cruises and wash my hands constantly (also avoid touching the railings). The only hard thing is walking around the pool deck with those Kleenex boxes on my feet.

:-)

Harry
Old July 26th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Admiral

The doctor at my travel clinic, where I was innoculated for Typhoid and Hepatitis said to always take two Pepto Bismol tablits daily while travelling and to keep a prescription for "Cipro" in my wallet in case of gastro-intestinal upsets. amazingly P.B. has a pro-active effect on many pathogens that affest the stomach.
Old July 27th, 2002, 12:06 AM
DeniseToAlaska

And amazingly enough, prices for the Ryndam plummet, making it my #1 Thanksgiving choice.

Thank you, Norwalk Virus!

Denise