Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Found a Co. that rents World Phones for Europe

For anyone planning a European cruise or vacation, yet needs to be able to stay in touch, I've found a company who rents phones that will supposedly work as we travel through Europe.

It's going to cost me @ $60 for two weeks, PLUS air time at a rate of $1.99/minute, which is not cheap, but will give some peace of mind, since I have elderly parents at home who have some medical problems, as well as my sons. Though the boys can e-mail me, which will be much cheaper.

Will let you know towards the end of Aug, when we go, how effective the service is.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2002, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default Re: Found a Co. that rents World Phones for Europe

Those cell phones are expensive and the rates are a disaster. I donīt know how it is in Canada but when I call dh on his rented cell phone in the US, we also get charged for the connection. So, you pay not only calling from the cell phone but your home phone gets charged as well....I think itīs 1.39 Euro per minute. Fortunately dh now has a cell phone that the company provided him for trips to the US so all we have to deal with is if I try to contact him. I donīt know how the company youīve found deals with callers contacting you but it might be something to look into. Not that your parents or your kids talk your ear off a dozen times and your phone bill goes crazy. Could be that that is just another money making scheme from the German Telekom. I donīt know.

I know the airport in Hamburg has a place that rents cell phones. If Hamburg has that, then other airports must have the service as well. Works in a pinch.

Suzanne
Old July 30th, 2002, 05:14 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Another thing.....all the cell phone nets in Europe are linked together. You shouldnīt have any problems no matter where you are. Just wait for that "roaming" message to finish and you will be all set. The longest wait weīve experienced was about 1 minute.

Suzanne
Old July 30th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

With a laptop with a microphone in your stateroom you can make phonecalls from Europe to the US. No extra charge only the internet connection.
Gitte
Old July 30th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kuki, we can rent cellphones for the US on the airport. Some people have a cellphone with a triple band and they don't need another phone.
Gitte
Old July 30th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Gitte... better yet, I'll come by your place and call home <G> I believe my own cell phone here is tri band, but my provider told me they couldn't hook me up in Europe.
Heard about this other means, and thought I'd give it a shot. Hopefully the phone will never ring, and it won't cost me anything more than the rental.

BTW. Gitte.. let me know what time and where you're meeting your friends on our sailing. If I'm able to, I'd love to stop by, meet, and at least say hello.

Old July 30th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CruzTerri

Kuki - TravelCell - http://www.travelcell.com, my company rents them for employees when necessary. Good Luck!
Old July 31st, 2002, 04:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Kuki, you can also try a pre-paid card, you get another number for the time being, buy a pre-paid en let the familiy know what number you have. If you don't want to make phonecalls, you can at least send sms messages to keep in touch. If you have an old cellphone at home, take that one with you.

Jacqueline
Old July 31st, 2002, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Thanks to everyone for the information. I should have asked the question here beforehand.
Am going to give this co, Poadpost , a try. Will let you know how expensive or decent a service it turns out to be.

Old July 31st, 2002, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Kuki,
I have no need for European phone service, since I have no trip to Europe planned! Boo hoo! Heck, I'd even forego the phone service and just settle for Europe! Oh well, maybe soon......
jennifer
Old July 31st, 2002, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Jenn.. !! I have to admit it's a nice problem to have.

For about the past year or so we've had to worry about being able to communicate with home, when we leave town.
BUT.. I still feel blessed that we are fortunate enough to be able to go, and will gladly find whatever means I can to be able to stay in touch. A very small price to pay.

Old July 31st, 2002, 11:53 PM
Admiral

I agree with you Kuki. There were quite a bunch of us with similar worries onboard the Summit for the Let's Get Lei'd Cruise. Older parents with health issues are a worry for many of us while we're traveling, and the cost is indeed small for the peace of mind it brings.
jennifer