Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2002, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- Do u Choose Ships for FOOD, FUN, or ITINERARY

I know there are many reasons to choose a ship, besides the three reasons I've listed in the title... but to some what limit the question....
When choosing a cruise which of the three weigh most heavily in your decision.... Food.. Fun... or... Intinerary?

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2002, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline
Default Re: POLL- Do u Choose Ships for FOOD, FUN, or ITINERARY

Itinerary, for our two cruises have been with Carnival, I don't know about the other ships how the food and stuff is. We like to sail with Carnival, so our third will be with them as well.
Old July 31st, 2002, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

For those that Kuki"s mentioned. I say ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Old July 31st, 2002, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I'm going on Ray with this one: A combination of all three, with the emphasis being on the itinerary.

Jodi

Old July 31st, 2002, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Itinerary. We have sailed 10 different ships on five different cruise lines and always make the best out of each cruise. All those other things fall into place once you get going.
Old July 31st, 2002, 11:41 AM
Admiral

For us it's Itinerary then cuise line (which covers the other points) and then time of year and vacations.

Phyll
Old July 31st, 2002, 12:40 PM
David Starkey

Food, ship, then iten.....I don't care how good an iten is if your not on a "good ship" and I have sailed a few that I wished I hadn't.
Old July 31st, 2002, 01:47 PM
Knocknock

I care greatly about all three areas. Sometimes price has a way of determing which ship we take. Our first choice is usually H.A.L. Our second choice is Celebrity. I will "probably" never sail NCL again because of the food quality and unfriendly service.
Princess and R.C.C.L. are both acceptable, but not our first choices.
Old July 31st, 2002, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Itinerary would be the first consideration out of those three choices. Food and fun are a tie!
Old July 31st, 2002, 02:15 PM
Captain

Itinerary is what makes me decide to cruise. I did sail Hawaii because of the Independence the last time I cruised there and I am on the Norway because of the ship in Dec but all other cruises were decided first on the itinerary than I looked at what ships went where I wanted to go. Food is never a deciding factor for me.
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:00 PM
Happy Camper

Itenerary first, then which ship is the cheapest. Food is good but doesn't make or break a cruise for us and fun is what we make it so itenerary and price are our main concerns. This has been Carnival mostly but this year it is Royal Caribbean. Debbie
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:21 PM
Admiral

There is one and only one determinent for my choosing a cruise ship and that is the quality of the Olives and the glasses in which they serve them, swimming of course in a chilled bath of a very dry Beefeater Martini, straight up and ever so gently stirred. If they get that right, can there be anything else wrong with a ship? Naw!

Post Edited (07-31-02 15:22)
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Here's something different... kids club! Carnival Paradise has the best so far. I want to find one with an outdoor section so when we are diving, my kids can still enjoy the sun (especially during spring break when we are FREEZING here in Iowa).

1. kids club
2. good diving

Old July 31st, 2002, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Wellllllllllll, not having actually been on a cruise and having no idea really what to expect, I think my priority for future cruises will be itinerary. We were just browsing a brochure this evening saying that a cruise would be a good way to see some places in the Mediterranean that we have been meaning to see but just donīt have the time. Normally we would drive and visit the sites but that is time consuming, etc., etc.. A cruise there would allow us to "sample" and if there is one place that interests afterwards, we can then better plan a vacation to there. After the presentation we saw, dh now really wants to goto Alaska. Cruise would be perfect for that as well.

But that is when that wee bitty of a foodie comes out, my stomach rumbles and I do indeed think food is important. Itīs been an important factor in every vacation we take, so why shouldnīt it be for a cruise? I like the cruise idea of dining every evening, "dressed up" (depending on the evening) and enjoying foods that I normally wouldnīt make at home. Not as important as the itinerary but our interest in food would maybe help us to point us as to which cruise line we want.

And then there is the "fun" factor. Dh and I are not idle people. We love getting out and about and meeting new people. On a land vacation that can be difficult. From what I have learned that doesnīt sound too difficult on a cruise especially if you have good table mates (or join a Cruisemates cruise!)

The ship itself is also a factor. The Brilliance is interesting for us because the press covered every little step she went through here. Itīs nice to think we will be on a ship in March that we learned so much about.

Suzanne, who canīt sleep because of 10350284650 mosquitoes.
Old July 31st, 2002, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the chuckle Suzanne. Didn't know anyone who counted mosquitoes before.
Maybe you can keep counting and it will work better than counting sheep.

Phyll :-)
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Itiniary is right up there at the top, then the cruiseline/ship and times we can get away, if all works then, we book :-) I've yet to have any bad food, so that is not an issue, I know I will not starve while cruising and service and entertainment do come into play, but not that important.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2002, 07:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Itinerary is definitely first with us. Everything else follows along after that has been decided. Figuring out which itinerary we want to take and then actually finding a time when we can take it is well over half the battle for us. Generally I'm in lockstep with Donna's thoughts.
Old July 31st, 2002, 09:12 PM
Admiral

First and foremost, ITINERARY! We haven't been on enough cruises yet, like some more experienced cruisers, to say it doesn't matter where as long as it's on a ship! Next comes FUN, and FOOD would be a distant last. I've never had BAD cruise food. Some better, some not as great, but all edible!
jennifer
Old August 1st, 2002, 09:54 AM
First Mate

We choose for the itinerary, emphasizing SEA DAYS. We really enjoy all the different ports, but too many ports ruins the cruise for us. So, no cruises with less than 7 days, no itinerary with more than two ports in a row, and preferably a sea day before disembarkation! It's all about relaxing for us! We love cruising!
Old August 1st, 2002, 10:46 AM
Shar

Itinerary!

Shar
Old August 1st, 2002, 10:52 AM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Re: POLL- Do u Choose Ships for FOOD, FUN, or ITINERARY

None of the above for me. First choice is now and always will be the ship. If I don't like a port I just stay onboard and enjoy the empty ship. After all of that I would pick itinerary. Just as long as I never have to sail the Caribbean again I'll be a happy camper.

Carole
Old August 1st, 2002, 08:54 PM
Admiral

First choice - the ship/cruiseline. Then itinerary.

Old August 5th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: POLL- Do u Choose Ships for FOOD, FUN, or ITINERARY

Itinerary then Cruise line, food is not important, but if we like where the ship is going everything else will fall into place