Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2002, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Frequent Flyer Miles Credit Cards

It seems up here in Canada most everyone uses Credit Cards which collect FF Miles. Though I may be wrong, oddly, the practice seems less universal in the US.
Kind of wondering why that would be. How many of you use credit cards that collect FF miles, and if you don't, why not?

Old August 1st, 2002, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Frequent Flyer Miles Credit Cards

I use my Midwest Express card for almost everything to earn miles on it. We pay it off every month so just have the annual fee for an extra.

We just got a Visa card that earns points that can be applied to any airline, and my husband uses that for misc. stuff and his American Express card for business travel.

Both my husband and I hate to ever pay interest so for us charging hasn't been a problem. We find it a good way to get some extra "free" travel.

Phyll
Old August 1st, 2002, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We don't use them because all the offers I've seen for them have an annual fee attached. I'm not sure the miles I would earn would equal the annual fee paid......I use my free Discover card and get a cash back bonus that I can use for anything!!

Kathy
Old August 1st, 2002, 05:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

We do use our Mastercard for FF miles. In Germany, you have to pay an annual fee anyways and the interest is the same no matter where you go...and that is high, believe me! We do use it a lot because of the FF miles and all the other bonus programs (hate to think that can track us all the better but.....) and make sure that we pay the balance at the end of the month.

Suzanne
Old August 1st, 2002, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We always use our GM CC, save lots of $ when buying a new car, so don't use the FF ones too often.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 2nd, 2002, 05:44 AM
Admiral

Donna, We have had one of those GM cc before, and have used the credit several times. I LOVE 'negotiating' the final price, and of course they always say, we're giving the car away....AND then pulling out that credit document!

I also routinely use an Advantage card for American Airlines. It does have a yearly fee and the interest is higher than some you could find. Paying off the balance every month is the key to making those cc's work in your favor.
Old August 2nd, 2002, 07:22 AM
Admiral

I use a Marriott Visa card and get Marriott points. We've taken free trips to Hawaii (twice), Marco Island, Hilton Head and Newport Beach. We charge everything to this card; gas, jewelry, home repairs.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 2nd, 2002, 10:06 AM
David Starkey

We use either airline or hotel affinity credit cards for everything. We have amassed enough points over the year to fly first class anywhere in the world and stay anywhere in the world for 2 weeks or more.(granted my wife travels every week and accumulates a lot of FF points from the airline, and hotels) The cards also offer free cruises that can be obtained by converting the points to a travel partner. Example : Marriott offers cruises on HAL by using your Marriott points. As long as you pay the credit card bill in full every month, I feel the Airline and hotel affinity cards offer some "real advantages". Anyone ever priced the cost of a R/T first class ticket to Australia. I'd have to have mega bucks to be able to fly that 22 hour flt in first class.....I think the $ 90.00 airline membership fee is worth a $20,000 ticket.
Old August 2nd, 2002, 10:37 AM
donnajo

I have a Capital One Miles One card. No annual fee 9.9% interest rate. I use it all the time. You can use the miles on any major airline also.
I charge everything on it. Groceries, gas, etc.
Usually, at least one of us can fly free when we cruise.

Donna
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:34 PM
Yeoman

Hi: I use the USAir Master Card. Bob
Old August 25th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Cruzincat

I use Discover instead and at the end of the year take a coupon for RCL . RCL and Celebrity double your cash value when you take your earnings out in their name.