Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL-Your FAVORITE and LEAST Favorite airlines?

I'm a bit of a white knuckle flyer. I'm just shy of 6ft 4" tall. Flying out of Calgary,Alberta to cruise ports I am quite limited in my choices of airlines to get me there. So the combination of the above makes getting myself to a ship A CHORE that I don't look forward to.
I'm sure not many people truly enjoy their commercial flights, but I'm wondering if you have a favorite airline, or on the flip-side, one you avoid at all costs?

Old August 10th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL-Your FAVORITE and LEAST Favorite airlines?

Favorite Airline (Domestic).................... Alaska
(Southwest is pretty good too for a discount carrier.)

Cannot go on............................................ United
Old August 10th, 2002, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Kuki, my husband is 65", a smoker and is also a white knuckle flier. When he flies he has his mouth full of gum, a nicotine patch smacked across his forehead and though he doesnt drink often, hell have a glass of red wine no matter what time of the day it is. I actually refuse to fly together with him as that could be grounds for divorce. Next March we will have to fly together but were going first class (love FF miles!), which I am hoping might help. At least his knees wont be stuffed into his nostrils and I wont have to hear about that.

I cant say too much about flying within North America. I dont even remember what airline I flew with the last time. All I remember is that I landed safely and my luggage showed up!

As far as flying between Germany and the East Coast, I do prefer Lufthansa or United, which are affliated. Ive tried lots of other airlines out but the least complicated and most direct flights are always with either of above two. They always seem to be on time and have never lost my luggage....an experience that I have been through once too often with other airlines. I also cant remember having a problem with a connecting flight within the US with United. Im sure others have!

One airline that I will never fly with again is Pakistani Air. I flew with them about five years ago as that was the cheapest last minute flight from Frankfurt to JFK. It was a cultural experience but Im not flying to have that. I want to get whereever Im going safely. The plane made thunking noises all the way. It was the first time that I got off a plane with my legs shaking.

Suzanne
Old August 10th, 2002, 10:36 AM
First Mate

Funny, Chuck, how the opinions differ!

Suzanne
Old August 10th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Favorite - Midwest Express

Least Favorite - Northworst

Old August 10th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Bowing in the direction of Calgary, my Air Canada flights last week were great.

Smallish planes (can't remember the equipment designation) with "leather" seats. A tall fellow was seated next to me and he had legroom. There was actually real food. Well, sort of. But better than the half a can of soda and17 peanuts that are served on other airlines for shorter flights.

On one leg (St. John to Toronto) the flight attendant came up to me before we took off and handed me a blanket. She said, "it gets COLD next to that emergency exit window and you're wearing a dress. You're going to NEED this."

The absolute best, IMS-EO, is Air Singapore with British Airways coming in a close second.

Once, coming back from London on BA, I was playing solitaire on my laptop. Flight attendant (male): "Madame, if you wanted a deck of cards you could have asked."

We avoid AeroMexico whenever we can, but can tolerate almost anything for a non-stop.

So much of the "flight experience" has to do with the equipment and the cabin crew.

Old August 10th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: POLL-Your FAVORITE and LEAST Favorite airlines?

Last summer we were flying to London on United. The res. clerk in Portland said there was a slight problem with our flight, but did not explain. When we got to SFO to change planes, we were told our flight was cancelled. We waited nine hours trying to get on alternative flights. Finally we stayed the night in SFO and were able to get a flight to N.Y. mid-morning next day with another 41/2 hour layover before on to London. Thus It took us 48 hours to get to London. Plus we were treated with very little concern and a lot of rudeness.

We had planned a pre-cruise day in Dover. Well that didn't occur and we of course lost our B&B reservation deposit.
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Admiral

If possible, I would avoid every airline since I'm absolutely certain the plane I'm on is going to crash. Terror is too mild a word to describe my feelings when boarding any aircraft. Lately I've been attempting to get a sniff of the pilot's breath to see if he or she is sober.

When my knees stop wobbling and I'm able to finally run off the plane, I tip the pilots for getting me there alive. So I generally feel good about the airline I just left -- "wow, these guys really are smart!" -- since I'm alive.

You won't get me on the tiny flying coffins they use on shore excursions.
During my last trip on one of these planes, a four-seater in Alaska, the pilot politely asked me to stop screaming into the headset. Guess he found it distracting.
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:39 PM
First Mate

Most favorate one would be Delta... No least favorite yet! Char
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Kuki,
You have met me so you know that I am not tall. I'm only about 5'5", and I have a long torso and short legs. That said, I have been on several flights on Continental where my knees hit the back of the seat in front of me. If that's happening to me, what about someone like Kuki? I have been on other flights on Continental, most recently between Houston and Costa Rica (one of the AirBus planes, but I don't remember which one) where the coach seating was quite comfortable. But those 2 hour flights or less on Continental where they use the smaller planes and cram in a couple of extra rows have to be the worst flights I have ever been on.

We had the most comfortable and most entertaining flight ever on our way back from the Let's Get Lei'd Cruise, Vancouver to Phoenix, on Alaska Airlines. The seating was comfortable, like they weren't trying to pack in extra rows for extra revenue, and the of the flight stewards was a laugh a minute! My favorite line of his was, "If you are traveling with small children and the oxygen mask drops from the overhead compartment, secure your own mask first, then pick your favorite child and help him with his mask. Hopefully the other one will survive long enough to get his on him also."

jennifer
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Just flew Midwest Exress out of Milwaukee to Boston. I have to say it's my favorite. Wide leather seats-good food (although you don't get lobster any more)-free champagne or wine-and those nice hot chocolate chip cookies. They don't have first class as they treat everyone as first class.

I use frequent flyer miles that my husband accumulates so I fly on other airlines when Midwest doesn't work out. I have to say American has the best first class service and the airline that I've had the most problems with as far as delays has to be Northwest.

I'm not crazy about flying, but it sure beats driving. When I get on the plane I just ask the Lord to get me where I'm going safely, and if not to be there to catch me on the way down. Then I put myself in his hands. Sure helps with the jitters.

Phyll

PS -My husband has gone off to browse in one of his favorite CD stores while I catch up with all of you-- works for me. :-)
Old August 10th, 2002, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Probably the best flight we have ever had was from Los Angeles to Sydney(AU) with United Airlines arranged by Princess. A close second for crossing the Pacific would be Air NZ.. We really haven't had any bad experiences with any of the major North American airlines, and have always got excellant international flights arrangements through Princess. Cheers Jake

Pacific Princess Papeete to Sydney

Old August 10th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Yeoman

OK,

I'm with Kuki and Anne and white knuckle every flight. One thing I won't do is fly those little puddle jumpers that ask your weight. If there are any other females on the flight then I'm definately grounded! Don't some of us females lie about our weight? Thus the reason for not flying the little jobs. If weight is that critical, they don't have to worry about mine since it's not going to be on it!

We have had really good luck with Delta, worst luck with United. Most notably, I avoid anything going through Chicago! Have gone through there 4 times and all 4 times encountered severe delays including overnights---all with United. Love the flight attendants on Southwest, have always had a crew that keeps you in stitches which helps with my jitters. Last Southwest flight the attendant said "In the unlikeky event we have a water landing, please remember these three things and you will survive---kick, strok, breather, kick, stroke, breathe". Kind of hard to be so frightened when you're laughing.

Am desperately trying to talk my better half into moving to Florida to avoid flights at all for cruising purposes. Not having much luck though.

Linda
Old August 10th, 2002, 02:25 PM
First Mate

I've flown Alaska and Southwest quite a bit. I like both, especially the humor of the flight instructions on Southwest, which was lacking for a while after 9/11. The October flight I took was downright somber.

"Remember, keep your arms and legs inside the plane at all times."

A little humor helps to alleviate the stress. Glad it's back.
Old August 10th, 2002, 04:47 PM
First Mate

Of my limited choices, I miss the old Canadian Ailines. Their service was usually good,
even on the 1.5hr Vancouver to Prince Rupert. As for my last "good" flight was an Armed Forces charter to Quebec City. We even had hot food AND a sandwich later!

I don't care for Air Canada but there is not much choice here. Our trip to LA (2 3/4 hrs)in January (1200-1445) we had a small tasteless sandwhich for lunch. No napkin either. The mayo/mustard was in a squeeze package.

The return flight was 1545-1830, again during a meal period but we got chips and cookies. My bag of chips had expired. Welcome to Canada's full-service airline!

Next March we we try Alaska Airlines to LA. Have only heard good things about it.
Old August 10th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Pam,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your Air Canada flights, will be flying them into Vancouver shortly and we are in the first row after first class. You mentioned "real" food, OK, what exactly did they serve?? Had planned on picking up some breakfast before boarding, but they may or may not be necessary???

Thanks for any input, oh yea, and how about TV, Movie, is that expecting too much, or will I be reading a book???

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 10th, 2002, 04:58 PM
First Mate

Forgot to mention this...reading Donnas mention about the movie brought this up...

Got my tickets for my trip *home* at the end of August. Not only did they include the tickets but the fact that the main meal was either "chicken or beef" with the option of vegetarian, if booked ahead and the what the two main movies will be (dont remember..nothing I had heard of!). Thought that was pretty impressive. Face towels will also be distributed at the end of the flight. Guess they are trying to make me think Im getting a lot for my money.

suzanne
Old August 10th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Palm Trees

Lufthansa is my favorite for Euro-flights (where is good ol' Pam American?. For domestic, Continental (where is Eastern?).

I do hear only good things about Midwest Express and JetBlue, but haven't been on any travel legs where I could fly them.
Old August 10th, 2002, 06:09 PM
First Mate

Most favourite Westjet

Least Favourite Air Transat Staff are very surly and miserable. Limited luggage and very little space.
Old August 10th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Donna ....

On the "go to" leg to Montreal I was asleep as soon as I was sure the plane was off the ground. (How dare they schedule planes to leave at 10:00 AM ???)

When I woke up on the inbound flight path I asked for some OJ and it was promptly brought to me.

On the other two legs, coming back, there were sandwiches (largely tasteless turkey , but there), fruit, cheese and cookies. Nothing to write home about, but more than 17 peanuts.

At least at PHL, Air Canada shares check-in with United Airlines. It was total zoo. I can't remember the last time it took me/us more than 15 minutes to check in. TWO HOURS and finally they had to haul the Air Canada people out of the line so we'd make our flight.

Coming back was a breeze as we cleared customs/immigration in Toronto. I didn't hurry to the luggage area, and my bag was already there.

I ALWAYS have food in the Giant Tote Bag.

I think movies are dependent upon the length of the flight.

Old August 10th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Favorite to europe: Lufthansa and USAIRWAYS
within the USA Southwest and USAIRWAYS <fly them in 2 weeks again>

Can't stand United and American and will NEVER fly them again
Old August 10th, 2002, 11:33 PM
cgb

For those needing leg room: I'm 6'3". American has more space for your legs in coach class than the other airlines. They even redid the seats on the TWA planes now in their service. I sometimes fly Southwest if they have a bargain fare but have had more odd problems on that airline than the others. Things like no pillows or dirty paper pillowcases. Improper cleanliness in various areas of the plane. Little things like that. But you find things w/every airline at various times. Can just depend upon the particular people, plane or circumstances.
Old August 11th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Always try to stick with Delta and Continental. Southwest is ok if in a pinch. Avoid TWA, United, and ATA.

Jodi