Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2002, 01:50 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default Guten Morgen!

*Ahhhhhhhh!* Thatīs me taking a sip of coffee. So glad I can stomach it this morning.

The flooding continues here in Germany. I lived in Dresden for about five years and could not believe the pictures I saw of the city I called *home.* How devastating. Right now the city is bracing for a second wave of flooding. I havenīt been able to find out if the Semper Opera has been hit yet. I know last night they were getting it ready. The flooding in and around Dresden is the worst in all of recorded history.

The other city that has also suffered considerable damage is Prague. If any of you have been there, you know what a wonderful city it is. I donīt know how they will deal with the damage. The people that live in both the above areas break my heart. All of that love going into finally getting buildings and towns restored has been destroyed in less than 24 hours.

At least the weather has gotten better and the forecast is of one high pressure system chasing the other. They have told us that we wonīt be affected by the flooding. The flood plains along the Elbe in our area have been opened and the winds are coming from the east, meaning they are going to help push the water out to the North Sea instead of pushing it back. If we had been having the rain and knew that all of that water was on its way from the Elbe, Iīd be busy hauling all of our furniture to the top floor of our house right now, that is for sure!

Itīs going to be a busy day here while I run around from one errand to the next trying to catch up from being out of action. Hope you all have a good one!

Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline
Default Re: Guten Morgen!

Suzanne, good luck on bringing your furniture in safety. The weather is absolutely upside down this year, the enormous floods everywhere is not normal.
Luckely in Amsterdam we have not seen much yet of heavy rains, although other parts of Holland are flooded too.

I keep my fingers crossed for you to keep the river from flooding.

Read and post cruise reviews

Old August 14th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Good morning cruisers! I hope the flood waters recede and the rains slows Suzanne. And Jacqueline, you are so right, it has been a crazy year for weather just about everywhere.

Day 3 of the week, better get to work and make some $$$ for cruising!
Old August 14th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Morning everyone

Glad you're feeling better Suzanne. Things sound so tragic in those areas getting flooding. Hope the good weather prevails and that you stay on dry land.

Hope everybody has a good Wednesday.

Phyll
Old August 14th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Auguste Herrin

Guten Morgen i am new to Cruise Mates and can you fill me in some. I am original from Nuernberg Germany living in N.C. for now. On my last visit home we went to Dresden and there where still many black buildingsides. Well anyway are you american living in germany? Auguste
Old August 14th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates... and welcome to newbie Auguste!!!

Woke up to dark skies, and lots of rain clouds about, here in Calgary. But, no possibility of flooding like in Europe. I do hope some drying trends come quickly over there. Way too much history being threatened.
And 15 more sleeps and I'll be over there!

Old August 16th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Good morning Mates, and TGIF! Big cruise is still 52 days away but will spend the weekend cruising on our boat. Hope you all have a great weekend. Ohpps, look like I picked the wrong Good Morning thread.

Post Edited (08-16-02 06:17)