Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:54 AM
venice

Default I Wonder ?????????????

Where people who work on cruise ships , when they vacation with their families and friends, where do they go ?

Do the cruise ships employ onboard therapist so the crew can go "vent" when they have passengers from hell who just makes their job unbearable (we have all witness a poor waiter who has to serve a real butthead all week) ?

If the crew could have a comment card program for passengers and could reward "perks" at the end of a cruise for outstanding (really nice) passengers that they would love to serve again (360 degree feedback) would passengers act differently towards the crew ?(an example of a "perk" would be that the cruise line would send you a letter saying your waiter/cabin steward really enjoyed serving you on your cruise and would like you to cruise with him/her again and here is a $50 ship board credit)

Based upon the ratings success of the tv reality show featuring Southwest Airlines and how it shows the airport experience from the frontline employee's perspective, if a major cruise line is considering doing a reality show on it's passengers? In both the airline and cruise business, customers must relinquish "control" and adhere to the rules of the business and lots of people don't like that aspect of the experience

As cruiselines build bigger and bigger megaships that can hold 4,000-5,000 guest on a 7 day cruise, if they introduced a "steerage class " where you could cruise for $99 p/p - like in the olden days of ocean crossings before the introduction of the jet airplane) how many CM cruise addicted folks would cruise for price vice perks ?

If the federal government, due to security reasons, placed an embargo that for 1 year no U.S. citizen can cruise on a ship that is not under a U.S. flag registry (thus leaving the POA as the only major cruise ship), what would we all do for that period to fill the "void" in our lives ?

If a third party presidential candidate ran on a platform that they would ammend the tax code so that all expenses related to cruising (up to 3 cruises per year) you could deduct on schedule A of the 1040, would you vote for that candidate?

Cruiselines seem to be leaning more towards "niche market " theme cruises (i.e NASCAR, Book Clubs, Gospel, Extreme Sports, Soap Opera stars, G/L etc) . What would be examples of some really "off the wall" theme weeks that they might consider ?

I'm a huge Bed and Breakfast fan..When I first started cruising in the late 70's a cruise was advertised as a hotel that took you to the islands, now the ship is the destination. If a cruiseline had a deal where you just paid for your room and they served breakfast, but you had to "fend" for yourself for the rest of your meals/entertainment and they promised that they would stop at an island everyday from noon to 8 pm, but each passenger is on their own (no organized shore excursions etc) and the price was right, would you cruise on that ship ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: I Wonder ?????????????

great questions venice, does make one wonder.
I like your idea of rewarding the passengers for being cilivized,calm, courteous, friendly and abiding by the ships rules and guidelines.
I cruise for the perks, price isn't everything.
Not a huge fan of theme cruises
The whole dining experience is a huge part of crusing. I don't think that i would like the idea of a B&B cruise line
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:06 PM
First Mate

Default Re: I Wonder ?????????????

1) I would guess that most people on the cruise ships don't make enough money to really vacation.

2) They should just get to pick from a list of all of the "bad" passengers each week and toss one overboard. No venting needed then. Honestly they probably vent to each other, at least that's what I did when I was in the customer service industry.

3) I would not act any differently because the crew works very hard, and I make sure to thank them when I see them, and also tip well at the end of the cruise.

4) Heck no, that would be scary to have a cruise reality show. Too dang many of those things anyway, and they really make people look bad. Personally it shows me that Hollywood is not even trying to come up with ideas now.

5) Maybe those that paid $99 per day could be required to row for a few hours a day. The class system seems to be by cruiseline now for the most part, not within the ship itself.

6) I would call my representatives every day, and ask them to get the heck out of my business.

7) Why vote for someone who has no chance of getting elected? You might as well not vote. Protest votes are meaningless.

8) How about one for the followers of Charles Manson ;-) How about one for the lovers of Cheez Wiz?

9) Nope, I would never do this.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004