Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Default Odd Question

Just suppose you have a "guaranteed" cabin on a ship that is oversold and is asking cruisers to take "bumps." If the cruise line doesn't have enough volunteers, does the traveler without a cabin assignment have less standing than one who does have an assignment?

I realize this is an odd question, but one of the threads in the Princess Cruise Mates message board just got me thinking about that topic. We have a "guaranteed" catagory 7 or higher on the Zenith on 12-22. The ship seems to be selling out of a number of catagories.

This has got me wondering about something that I know is very hypothetical, not to mention unlikely. I'm not really worried about it, but I am just a bit curious and I always think outside of the box.

Please help me answer this rediculous question!
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Odd Question

Chuck... sort of like the airlines, the cruise lines will keep going back to the passengers raising their offers of compensation until they have the cabins they need.
We haven't heard yet of anyone being left standing at the pier.... though I'd guess in some wild stretch of the imagination that could happen

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 24th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Odd Question

In a lot of years in this business, I have yet to have a passenger "bumped" because a ship was oversold. There is a statistical chance but it virtually never happens. If you book a guarantee in a category in which you will be happy should no upgrade occur and if you have no special needs on board, such as being near an elevator, on most ships a guarantee is a good way to go. They offer guarantees for a wide range of reasons... not necessarily that they don't have a cabin to give you and are hoping for a cancellation.