Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Default Man Missing Since 9/11 Found Alive -OT

Man Missing Since 9/11 Found Alive At N.Y. Hospital
Sims' Mother Says Man Has Amnesia, Schizophrenia
Posted: 7:45 a.m. EDT August 27, 2002

NEWARK, N.J. -- A man who was believed to be near the World Trade Center on Sept. 11 and was later reported missing has apparently been found at a New York hospital.

The family of George V. Sims, 46, said they learned of his whereabouts earlier this month when the hospital called and said they believed Sims was a patient there. They asked for a photograph of him to confirm their suspicions.

"He's alive, but he's not in the best of health," his mother, Anna Sims, told The Star-Ledger of Newark on Tuesday. "When I saw him, he did not know me. He did not know his daughter. He did not know his brother."

Anna Sims said her son has been diagnosed with amnesia and schizophrenia. She did not disclose the hospital where he is being treated.

On an Associated Press list of 694 victims from New Jersey released last week, George Sims was listed as "reported missing" because there was no verification, other than a missing persons report filed by his family, that Sims was a World Trade Center victim.

Family members said they believed Sims was "selling things" near the twin towers when the attacks occurred and, when they did not hear from him for a few weeks, they reported him missing to city police on Oct. 7.

While no one knows exactly where Sims was the day of the attacks or how he ended up at the hospital, his family remains hopeful that he will eventually recover and tell them what happened.

"If God brought him this far back to me, he will come back the rest of the way. It will take time," Anna Sims said. "I am just grateful he is alive. God worked a miracle."

The family did not apply for any of the financial assistance provided to victims' survivors and did not obtain a death certificate, the newspaper said.

Old August 27th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Man Missing Since 9/11 Found Alive -OT

Wow Carole,
What an amazing story!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 27th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Passenger

An amazing story, if only there could be more like that.

Post Edited (08-27-02 17:44)
Old August 27th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Passenger

Believe it or not, I just read there is another man that is also alive and there are expected to be at least 4 more similar cases made public by the end of the week. Can you imagine how these people's loved ones must be feeling?