Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Admiral

Default Remembering 9/11/01.....

This being the eve of the terrible events of 9/11/01 prompts me to ask the following questions.....
1. Where were you and what were you doing when you heard the news?
2. How has your life changed since then?
3. Are you at all concerned that something else may happen tomorrow?

I was at work when one of my co-workers came in and said a "small" plane hit the World Trade Center. We immediately turned on the TV and watched in horror as the second plane hit. Then to hear the news of the Pentagon was sickening to say the least. Next thing we heard was about Shanksville.....that is only 2 hours from here.
I just wanted to get home and be with my family.
I remember the beautiful, clear blue sky as I drove home and the strange silence since there were no planes in the sky. To this day, when I see a clear sky like that, it takes me back to 9/11.
As far as how my life has changed since then.....I don't take anything for granted any more. I try to enjoy each and every day to it's fullest. I tell my family and friends how much I love them and appreciate them.
I certainly hope there will not be any more terrorism tomorrow (or any other day), but I will be uneasy all day. My thoughts and prayers will be with all the families who were personally affected by the events of 9/11/01 as well as with my family and friends.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Cruise Crazy

Default Re: Remembering 9/11/01.....

Mary Lou

It is now 21:17 pm here in Australia - tomorrow is the 11th here - I remember when at 3pm in the morning of our 12th my husband ran upstairs to tell me to hurry as the 1st WTC had collapsed and there had been a terrorist attack in New York. I couldn't believe it and ran down stairs to my horror to watch the carniage unfolding here on the other side of the world. To my horror, what seem to be not long after - the 2nd tower collapsed. Numbness is all I can say, complete numbness.

I can assure you, even half way across the world we felt the terror and pain I'm sure all Americans felt on that day and still do. I felt like it was personally happening to us...... I was sick at the time and spent the next 3 days glued to the TV want, willing, praying for survivors - just that last miracle....

As I said, tomorrow is the 11th for us and tonight and yesterday there have been on commercial free to air TV, unseen footage of what unfolded that day, videos of people never to be seen again, 63 babies born to fathers who will never see their children - I have once again dried my eyes, but the tears keep falling.

I know - every single Australian watching yesterday, today and tomorrow felt and still feels the pain.

Our prayers are with you
Merryl
Old September 10th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Cruise Crazy

Sorry guys - still haven't stopped crying.... I meant 3am in the morning hubby woke me....

Merryl
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

WILL NEVER FORGET THAT HORRIBLE DAY.I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN N.Y.C. LOST FRIENDS THAT DAY.MY BROTHER WAS WORKING WTC IN 1993 WHEN THE FIRST BOMBING HAPPENED. THEN HE SAID WAS HORRIBLE,IMAGINE SEPT 11. I WAS IN TAMPA AIRPORT THAT DAY,GOING TO VEGAS.THE PASENGERS AND MYSELF WERE IN SHOCK.I COULD NOT GET HOME FAST ENOUGH TO PUT ON A T.V. MY HUSBAND IS RETIRED FROM NYPD.SEPT 11 WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.PEOPLE WE LOST AND FAMILIES STILL SUFFERING.MY PRAYERS TO ALL. NORMA
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Admiral

I was sitting right here at this computer, right about this exact same time, before leaving for work. We're 3 hours earlier than New York, so, when I turned on the news a little before 6:00, they were showing the first tower burning, and AS I SAT HERE AND WATCHED, the second plane hit, and I knew that some terrible plot was underway. We had the TV on all day at work, and watched as the towers fell, the Pentagon was hit, flight 93 crashed in PA, they shut down the airspace..........Unbelievable, all this, here in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Am I afraid about more incidents tomorrow? Not really. Do I believe there will be more, or can be more, terrorism here in our country? I would have said no a year ago, but now I am not so naive.

My thoughts and prayers will be with all victims, their families and friends, and with all Americans tomorrow. God help us all.

jennifer
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Admiral

1. Where were you and what were you doing when you heard the news?
I was at work and someone came in to our office and told us that a small Cessna type plane hit the World Trade Center. We don't have a tv here, but my home page is CNN (we aren't allowed to have a "personal" home page), and I kept checking. When I realized it was a commercial airline, I was shocked. I called John, he was at home. I told him to turn on the tv. Then they kept saying there was another hijacking and another. I couldn't believe it. Then to see the events unfold and those huge towers collapse. Each event that happened kept throwing me farther into disbelief that someone could be so cold and hateful to do this. Then I thought of how those people in the towers must have felt as the building fell out beneath them or the people in the second tower seeing it happen......I was sick. Then the anthrax stuff started....................

2. How has your life changed since then?
I remember the first airline I saw after they begin flying again....my heart felt like it went into the pit of my stomach. One came really close to our building and I just kept staring at it. For whatever reason, I couldn't take my eyes off it till it was out of sight. Sometimes I still feel that way. I used to love flying, now I can't even bear the idea of stepping on another plane. I don't look at the sky the same way anymore. Right after it happened I would look into the sky all the time wondering. I did that for months. Once I heard a jet over our house. Now, in our area, you just don't hear fighter jets. I went outside and an F-16 was flying in a large circle pattern around our city. (We are near Dow Chemical). It was earie and comforting at the same time.

3. Are you at all concerned that something else may happen tomorrow?
YES. This was only the beginning. Even this morning, they said 300 pounds of explosives were stolen from a building in Austin and in the port of Houston (I think it was Houston) they confiscated 1000 cell phones all headed for Al Queda. Yes, there will be more attacks, we can count on it.

Post Edited (09-10-02 09:12)
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:30 AM
TomS

I had just finished reading a speech by Secretary Rumsfeld that he gave the day before when a co-worker came in and said planes hit the WTC. My first thought that she took Ed McCaffery's injury (He plays wide receiver for the Denver Broncos. and broke his leg in the Monday Niight Football game almoxt exactly 12 hours prior) pretty hard to make up something like that. Still, I tried to verify her story on CNN, MSNBC and the AP, but the internet was jammed at those sights. I wound up going to The Denver Post's website and they had an immage of the twin towers burning. I spent the next 90 minutes checking various websites while news stories flashed throughout the morning. It finally got too much so I went home about 9:15. By that time, family was calling into our office wondering what everyone was doing there. They did officially dismiss people at 10:00 to impliment tighter security (I work at a Department of Defense facility). I spent the rest of the day watching news stories, and I went to my Church's memorial services that evening. I do remember looking up at the sky that afternoon and noted how blue and clear it was, just a couple white puffy clouds.

TomS
Old September 10th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Yeoman

Hi: I was in my car not to far from where Flight 93 crashed. Listening to talk radio WABC out of New York when they broke in with the reports. Stopped at a truck stop and spent the next two hrs watching and wondering what exactly was going on, wondering if I should continue on to my destination in Virginia and wondering if I would be able to get home. I did go on to my coustomer and help get him up and running. Retuned home on the 12th

How has it affected me? the shock and anger I feel is overshadowed by the sadness I feel for our future generations. I feel the thugs who started this will not be stopped for years to come. Our grand kids will end up with this responsibility. Other than that, I refuse to let those murdering low life cowards with no souls, put me into submission. I am going about my daily routine and living life to the fullest. They can eat dust, sleep with camels and live in caves as I do not care!

9-11-03 Since I cannot control what those who are jealous of our wealth, way of life and envious of the great blessings we have here in a freedom loving society, are going to do, I am not going to worry. I will leave that to higher authorities. I suggest we pause for a moment of rememberance and then get on with being Americans, Germans, British. French, Sweeds, Norwegians, Belgeans and anyone else who loves freedom and the pursuit of happiness.
Bob
Old September 10th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I was at work and involved with some paperwork and overheard one of the secretaries say a plane had hit the World Trade Center but for some reason I assumed she was talking about some new action movie. When I heard about the 2nd plane I realized it wasn't a movie. Our office crowded around the one small tv that we have and watched and watched and watched.
Yes, life has changed. Now you think twice about travel but we can't let this stop us.

It's my vow not to watch all the tv coverage this week. Yes, we need to remember all the victims and pray for the families and our country but I don't think I could take the media frenzy.
Angela Z.
Old September 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Where was I?
I had slept a little late so wasn't at exercise class where I would have been. Instead I was getting ready for the morning and listening to the local radio station when they said they had just heard that a small plane had hit the WTC tower. I quickly went to the tv and put on morning news shows. I remember Katie C. interviewing Ted Kennedy and I kept thinking-why isn't there something on here about what just happened. Tried CNN and got the live picture and then saw the rest of the events unfold. What a sad and emotional filled day that was and the days to follow. My husband was working in Boston and I was able to call him and tell him what was happening. He ended up staying at the Marriott in Boston for 2 weeks before he could get a plane home. There were times with the news reports and hotel searches in Boston that I truely was concerned for his safety. He had also been on that same plane flying from Boston to LA just 2 weeks prior to the event so that too gave us a little more connection with those on that plane.

I think that day did draw us closer as a family and showed once again how fragile our lives are, and how much we need each other.

I don't live in fear of more terrorist attacks, but I do believe they will come. I have a deep strong Christian faith and I ask for God to continue to grow that faith in me and help me to see the world through his eyes. I pray for the leaders of our country and for those around the world. When things start to overwhelm me I put my eyes on the Lords face and I find comfort and peace.

My heart goes out to all of those who were touched with the loss or injury of loved ones during that day. May God Bless you all.

Phyll
Old September 10th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

I work in downtown DC but was McLean VA at a meeting for the Government Emergency Telecommunications Service Program. All of a sudden a number of cell phones started ringing in the meeting...I knew something was out of the ordinary. When a few who left the room to answer their calls came back in with the news we were all in shock. The conference room had a large screen TV and it was turned on in time to see the second plan hit the other tower. Also reports that a car bomb went off in front of the U.S. State Department (where both me and my husband work) were being reported, which later we learned were untrue but I knew our families would hear this. I could not get a hold of my husband, nor could I get back into the city to get my commuter van pool home. A kind co-worker drove me home.... about a 150 mile trip for him. The change in my life is that I am no longer naive enough to believe that terror cannot happen on our shores. I have a profound appreciation for our police officers and firefighter that I believe I took for granted before. Will something happen tomorrow, maybe, maybe not tomorrow. But something else is bound to happen in a tomorrow of the future. I plan to live my life as best I can and not in fear. We were booked to cruise in 3 weeks and there was no way we were going to cancel. We did have to change our air from Reagan to Dulles though. My husband was scheduled to fly to the Embassy in Mexico City on Sept. 12th and that was cancelled.

Old September 10th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think we all remember the day well, just one of those times. I was at work and customers would come in and fill us in on what was going on, at first I did not believe this, then the day just got worse. Wasn't until someone brought a TV in and we had it on, that it finally hit me that "OMG this is really happening". I think for the rest of the day, we all tried to work, but our minds and hearts were just not in it, I felt so confused and had a hard time believing that people could and would actually do this?

Its definitely changed things for the whole world, just take a plane trip these days, its always there in the back of our minds.

Will be thinking about all that have lost loved ones a year ago, what a tragic anniversary.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 10th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Admiral

The phone rang in my office. My brother Joe tells me to put on a radio,his wife is on the other phone from 1 Liberty Plaza and she is relating what she is seeing to both of us.
She then screams into the phone, Joe says "gotta go" and simultaneously WCBS reports the second plane. Both were safe (I found out 7 hours later) but eventually a good piece of one of the trade towers ends up in Sue's office. Over the next few hours/days we check on family, friends, neighbors and business associates.
Unfortunately not everyone is ok. Stories emerge of those who should have been there
and through some freak accident of fate were not , of those who were there and got out,
of those who did not get out. A neighbor whose husband did not make it has 3 little children and Lisa Beamer a childhood friend and classmate of my children becomes
a National symbol of strength. Papa can't cry, he needs to be strong for his family, so I reserve my tears for times when I am alone and wonder if Caroline and Sabrina and Philip realize how much closer and longer I held them the next time I saw them.
At Caroline's day care center , In Bloomfield NJ (and in full view of the destruction) the director asks my daughter to come back later that night. "Why"? she asks. Because
a number of children in the center have parents whose day time address is one of the buildings in the Trade Center complex and so far none had been heard from.
" I might need some help tonight" said Mr. Michael. By 11pm a miracle. All the parents have come for their children . Caroline is really the only one old enough to listen and understand. She is told simply that some bad people have done a bad thing and hurt a lot of good people. She asks "will they get punished?".
Since 9/11 we have been blessed with a new life, Donald , our 4th grandchild.
Donald is named for my brother (killed in Viet Nam in 1969). I pray that he can grow up in a world that does not know the horrors of terror or war. I truly have my doubts.
Hold close those you love.
Old September 10th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Thanks PapaBill for sharing your story. The love and caring you talked about is one very positive thing that came out of that day. The words you have written just really touched my heart. Thanks.

Phyll
Old September 10th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Yes PapaBill, thanks for telling us your story. And I'd like to thank everyone who posted.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 10th, 2002, 07:47 PM
TomS

I suppose I should amend my post. When I woke up this morning, I wasn't too concerned about a terrorist attack on my office (I work for the Department of Defnese). If they did attack, it would mean they really did their homework as it is less a symbolic target, but a good strategic military target (it handles civilian pay for the Army, military pay for the Air Force, and various accounting functions as well as the Air Force Reserve Personnel Center - that is public record so I am not giving terrorists ideas.) Also, Al Queda hasn't palced too much significance on annaverseries anyway. When i got in, I noticed that we were placed on THREATCON BRAVO, but we were told there was no specific information about an inpending attack. On my lunch break, I checked the news on the internet. I used to joke that I was making sure the world hadn't blown up yet, but a year ago it did, so I don't crack that joke anymore. There was the news that the Office of Homeland Security put the nation on "Orange Alert", or high threat of terrorist attack. That is when I became nervous that we could see another round of attacks soon. While we have taken Afganistan for the most part, Pakistan, Yemen, The Phillipines, Indonesia, and Malaysia are still very easy to set up operations in. Also, the governments of Iraq and Iran might be convinced fairly easily to look the other way. I am convinced that it is not a matter of if, but when and where the next terrorist attack occurs. We can only pray that the next attack is not as devistating as what we expierenced a year ago. In the meantime, I intend to go on enjoying my life. It is too short to fret over the actions of a few evil men and not enjoy what there is in this world, like a pina colada from the deck of a ship in Saint Thomas.
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Admiral

I live in New York, a few miles north of Ground Zero

At 9:00 am a friend called -- "are you watching CNN?" -- and I ran to the TV.
I called Tim Rubacky, who worked a block from the twin towers and he said there was huge amounts of paper falling from the sky. I called several other people. Then the second plane hit and we all knew it wasn't an accident.

I soon learned my next door neighbor, who worked on 97 for Cantor Fitzgerald, had died. His wife has three children under six. The person in the apartment above me ran through body parts. I could smell the awful smell of collapsed buildings and incinerated bodies. At my local fire station, a block away, six guys died. Like everyone else, I put flowers in front of the station. But the people who died in the towers are the same people I see in the subway, in the streets. Just average folks. And, there were no survivors in this.

There was a tremendous outpouring of help and love from people all over the country.
There are still flags everywhere. I was so proud to be a New Yorker, to see everyone around me so brave. During the next three months I didn't feel as if I was in my own body and I experienced the first terror I've ever know plus grief and the constant disbelief. I have never been down to Ground Zero.

A few weeks ago I realized the date was returning and got a big knot of anxiety in my gut. Some of the old feelings of anger and fear have returned. Tomorrow I'll light a candle and pray for those who died.

I think I'm like most other New Yorker -- I believe something will happen here again.
But I just go about my daily life and don't think about it. I've also learned that life is largely a matter of fate. I've learned that even though I live in the most affluent country on earth, with the geatest military strength, that if someone wants to kill people here they can just walk in and do it. This was always true, I just didn't realize it.

For me, tomorrow is about mourning the dead.

Anne Campbell
Old September 10th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Admiral

I was at work when a coworker said that a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers. We don't have TVs in our office, so I tried as many internet sites as I could, but all were swamped and impossible to get to. When the second plane hit we knew it wasn't an accident. Some coworkers had radios and we listened to the events unfold. It wasn't until I got home that evening that I saw the terrible footage, which all day I could only imagine. As awful as I had thought it was, seeing it on film really brought home the shock and horror. Those images are burned in all of our minds.

My life has changed in the same way as all of ours have changed. We have all lost some of our innocence. All of us have realized the importance of our families and relationships. In addition, I have a renewed respect for my job, my coworkers, and my company. I am an engineer for one of the nation's largest defense contractors. I wish I could share more about my job; all I can say is that I have a personal hand in creating ways to prevent such an attack from happening again and increasing the defense capabilities of our country. I am proud of what I do and have a renewed sense of the importance of my work and my responsibility.

Do I think such an attack will happen again? I am absolutely certain that the enemies of freedom will make an attempt. All we can do is trust the men and women working to defend our nation and all free nations to do their best to prevent such an occurance. We cannot allow ourselves to live in fear. That is exactly what the terrorists want.

It's a strange thing to see "Remembering 9/11" everywhere, when the truth is that we have never forgotten. All of us who were alive will remember that day and carry it with us forever.

Michelle B.
Old September 11th, 2002, 12:33 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

9-11 was the day i felt the furthest from home ever. i had to teach that day and got home right around 2:30pm. dh was on vacation and working on finishing off the upstairs. as i always do when i come home from teaching, i turned on my puter to write my report. i also went online and shortly thereafter a friend from seattle came online and told me to turn on our tv. i yelled up to dh to turn it on. he couldnīt quite believe it and yelled back down something like "either this is hollywood or one of the WTC towers was just attacked." i then ran upstairs and sat stunned, like millions of others, for hours.

later i tried to get back online. it wasnīt possible. i tried to call my parents. "due to a catastrophe intīl phone calls are not possible." flights to the usa were cancelled. it was the first (and hopefully last) time that i was completely cut off. it remained that way until the middle of the night. picking up the phone or getting online are two things i no longer take for granted.

my cousin, leigh, and her husband, steven both worked in WTC. steven often comes to hamburg and when he does, we always get together. if leigh can get a few days off she joins him. over the past four years we have gotten to know eachother well again. leigh and i used to spend part of the summers together when we were growing up. being able to get together again had been fun for us both.

leigh and steven were both in my mind that day but there was nothing i could do. i couldnīt reach my parents to find out anything nor could i reach leighīs apartment. the whole family was sick with worry about the two. fortunately the next day my phone rang and it was leigh. she was fine. although she normally had to be at work at 9am, she had a dentist appt. that morning. steven was on a business trip in boston and was fine, too. leigh said if it wasnīt for steven making her promise him to goto her much hated dentist, maybe she also would have been one of the victims.

dh lost three colleagues. he sometimes has to travel to nyc to visit the us publishing headquarters for his company. one man in particular he knew well because they had spent two months in san francisco getting a printing plant up and running. whenever dh was in nyc or he was here, they always got together.

the tremors from 9-11 went far. learning to deal with how vulnerable we all are has been difficult. the sadness and the suffering touched everyone. the people here were in shock. i hope nothing happens today and that it is peaceful.

yesterday evening police lights filled the sky to the east of us. it turns out an old farm house in Rethwish was being used as a storage house for the terrorist organisation in hamburg. just 3 miles away from us piles of plastic explosives waited to be used for something. various detailed maps of this area were also found with the two nuclear power plants highlighted. scary. scary to think what everyone feared here might have truly been in the works. various other places across northern germany were also stormed yesterday.

suzanne
Old September 11th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Limey-Neil

At the time of the disaster I was working on the Dawn Princess in the Library when I was paged to the Cruise Directors office where I was informed of the collision of the first plane. As we gathered around the TV the second plane hit. It was horrifying.

The Dawn Princess was docked in Skagway, Alaska - a long way from NYC - but we had around 400 New Yorkers cruising with us. Due to the time difference most passengers were half way up the White Pass & Yukon Railroad and were unaware of any happenings.

Sure enough emergency safety plans were drawn up for the gangway security. Bags were searched and metal detectors were in place immediately.

The hardest part of the morning was the moment the passengers arrived back to the ship seeing all this extra security they all wanted to enquire why all of a sudden we were so strict on searching bags. The pier side of Skagway is not the place to inform our passengers of the terrible events that were happening so we had to ask them to return to their cabin and switch on CNN.

All emotions were being felt onboard. All activities ceased, tours were cancelled. We were fortunate to have a gentleman offer his services as a priest and services were planned for that afternoon and evening.

The remainder of the cruise was of course a very sombre event. Many people keen to get home to their family and friends.

Since the events of 9-11 there have been many changes not just in the US but here in the UK. We lost over 60 of our citizens that day and hundreds more in other terrorist attacks in the UK throughout the last 25 years and will be joining with the US today in mourning and remembrance.

Limey Neil
Old September 11th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Where were we...my husband and I were at home that morning and I turned on the television at the same time that the first tower was hit. I remember we just looked at each other in disbelief. This couldn't be happening could it? Before we could find the words to speak any further, the second tower was hit. We then looked at each other and said .... We are at War!!!

Then when Flight 93 crashed in Pennsylvania we agreed that the Heroes on board that flight brought the plane down themselves...they knew where and how the terrorists on board planned to use that plane and they the bravest souls one could ever imagine just wouldn't stand still and let it happen.

It has changed us both in that everyday we wake up we "Thank God for another day together" and we cherish our lives and we don't put anything off that we want to do, such as cruising or you name it.

We don't live in fear either....otherwise they win and They Are NOT going to win!!!!
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness is what America is all about and we are not about to let these terrorists take that from us....Don't you Either!!!!

God Bless America and Grant Us Peace!!!
Old September 12th, 2002, 09:12 AM
AR

I'd dropped my wife at the subway to go to the offices of a trade association she was consulting with. The offices are four blocks from the White House.

When I got back my neighbor was on the phone asking if I was watching TV. I soon was.

The first call was from our older son, an airline pilot, who was at the first day of his annual recurrent training at his airline's training center--one of the airlines involved in the attacks. He said they were all going back to the hotels because the instructors and the students had agreed that no meaningful training could be accomplished that day.

Then our younger son, in the advertising business in lower Manhattan, called from his office to say he was OK. He'd stopped at the NYU gym to work out on his way in, which kept him a bit east of harm's way.

My wife called to say the White House was obviously being evacuated but that there had been no word or recommendations for the nearby buildings. I made a forceful recommendation, and she was home shortly after.

Our family was very fortunate, but the memories are seared into our souls. We will always remember and honor those who suffered loss.

AR