Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2002, 10:00 AM
lysolq

Default space bags?

Does anyone have any experience using space bags/packbags, etc. - those suck-out-the-air plastic packing bags that are being hawked in infommericals? They're supposed to provide more room in your suitcase, but what about wrinkling?
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2002, 10:06 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default Re: space bags?

i havenīt used them for packing for suitcases but have for storing seasonal clothes. unless it was a material that doesnīt wrinkle, iīve always had to iron after taking them out.

i thought about using one once for a trip but then reminded mysel i would have to get a hold of a vacuum cleaner before coming back home and gave up on the idea. i thought i had found a way to beat lugging around my winter coat! oh well.

suzanne
Old September 14th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Evelyn Richardson

I have used the kind that you just roll up (FIRMLY) and the air comes out of a valve at the bottom. They are fine for undies, or anything that does not wrinkle. They do NOT work for "fine garments". Read they work for those who wish to pack a pillow, as I do. Tried it, the pillow reduced in size but it spoilt the softness of the pillow, so do not use them for that any more.

Have used today it for the air line pillow pad that I pack in my carryon (it slips over the air line pillow with elastic straps, to provide a satin cover and extra softness for the very long flights to Europe). I leave for Rome on Tuesday to board Crystal Symphony.

Will write a review of the trip on my return in October
Old September 15th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Don't know but I ordered some. Will try to figure out how to get the air out for coming home. Will be great for dirty clothes if it works. Maybe can borrow the cabin stewards vacuum. We'll see.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:01 AM
Passenger

I have the space bags and use them alot, I used the roll-up one for my cruise and gave a bag to each of my traveling companions and they really liked them.. didn't use them for pillows but packed all my clothes in them including my dress-up clothes.. will be using them again this next January for my cruise on the Fantasy...Great invention...
Old September 16th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Admiral

I love the roll-up bags that squoosh the air out. I use them for dirty laundry. It's amazing how much space laundry takes up.
I just throw a couple in my suitcase and put the dirty clothes in every night. At the end of the cruise, you flatten the laundry, and voila! More room for souvenirs.
You can get the roll-up bags from Magellan's or Travelsmith. Not sure which one; maybe both.
http://www.magellans.com/
http://www.travelsmith.com/

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 19th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Passenger

I use my PackMate (from QVC) bags to pack undies and things that don't wrinkle easily for my trip out. I bring extras with me to pack dirty laundry and anything that isn't going in my garment bag for the trip home. That way I can fit my souvenirs in my luggage for the trip home