Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2002, 03:14 AM
First Mate

Default Illness on Radiance

Guess they had a bit of a problem with the food, or whatever. Around 50 people fell ill on a recent cruise. Ev's now worried about our trip on the 27th. I just say stay away from the shellfish and get your eggs cooked. Skip the salad bar as well and WASH YOUR HANDS. Hopefully all are feeling well now. Here's the article.

richard

Cruise ship passengers hit with flu bug

With reporting by Randene Neill
BCTV News on Global

Tuesday, September 17, 2002

BCTV News on Global
Nearly 50 passengers fell ill on this cruise ship.

Passengers on the Royal Carribean cruise ship "Radiance of the Seas" are sick with a flu-like bug.

The ship was on a repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Seattle when 46 of the over 1,000 passengers became violently ill.

Some of those passengers say the cruiseline was not very helpful at easing their discomfort.

At first, officials on the "Radiance of the Seas" refused to admit there was a problem at all.

Several passengers finally had to confront the ship's general manager for help.

But that wasn't the worst of it. After their three-day cruise from hell ended, the sick passengers were slapped with bills for their medical expenses.

Officials for Royal Caribbean now say they've waived the medical bills for all the sick passengers on board, and they're working closely with Health Canada and the U.S. Centre for Disease Control to determine where the bug came from.

A recent inspection by the CDC in the last month showed the ship had a cleanliness rating of 99 out of a hundred -- which is very good.

The ship has now been scrubbed down, and it's on its way back to Vancouver with a new load of passengers.

Copyright 2002 BCTV News on Global

Post Edited (09-18-02 02:15)
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Illness on Radiance

I once asked a ship's doctor about the number one illness he treats. The answer was flu. My father was once felled by a flu that swept through the QE 2 during a five-day cruise.

Like an airplane, a ship is a sealed environment where bugs can travel quickly. I've cruised on 70 ships and never gotten sick, but I always take along medication for it.

Cruises aren't cancelled because one voyage was hit by flu. It's spread person-to-person and I'm sure they quarentine any crew member who gets ill.

Anne Campbell
Old September 18th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Hi there. Thanks for putting this in perspective. I'm sure it happens all the time, but with the illnesses on the HAL ships lately, every little sneeze makes the news. One of the other boards I look at is trying to suggest it's due to a supplier in Vancouver - I sure hope not as that's my home town!

My daughter leaves on the Sea Princess from Vancouver this Saturday en route to LA and hopefully everything will be fine for them.

Terry
Old September 18th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Dean Renner

Richard,

We're following you on the Radiance -- our cruise is the 4-night, on October 7th. Let's hope that whatever this bug is, it's taken care of before we cruise!!

By the way, are you up in Vancouver? We're going to be there on our second day, and we should get together for a beer!

Dean
Old September 20th, 2002, 01:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Illness on Radiance

Dean,
I'm sure it'll all be taken care of. Like Anne said, it's a closed environment where bugs can travel fast. Used to see that when I went back to Ontario for training. The Training Centre was a closed environment (incl. accommodations) and bugs did travel fast. I guess it also depends on your health when you embark. But no worries.

Too bad your not going to be up here on the weekend as I work M-F. You'll still have to have a glass of our over-proof beer! Did you plan any tours or just venturing out on your own? Did you figure out a cheaper way to Butchart Gardens yet? Talk to you later.

richard

8 more sleeps till the Radiance
(Poor mans countdown clock)