Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Your First Car?

Since I didn't learn how to drive till i was 21 and married, my first car was my husband's, then my boyfriend Bruce's..The one we loved the best, was a Chevy Monza convertibe, a beautiful rich dark green, with a white top..Boy did he pamper that baby. We had to sell it once we got married, for a bigger car..When we first started to date..i was 15, he was 16..he had a Rambler, remember those? The seats reclined, <OH MY>
So tell us, what was your first car?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Re: Your First Car?

In 1938 I had a 1927 Model T Ford. Wooden floor board, 3 pedals on the floor, left-clutch, middle - reverse, right - brake. Accelerator was a leaver on the steering wheel. Starter button was on the floor near the seat. And there was a crank in front to twist if needed. Theses are to remind you of the Model T features.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

A 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme! It had an 8 track tape player - oh boy, am I dating myself ;-)

Hope everyone's having a great day!

Cathy in NYC

Old July 28th, 2004, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

Ray you have me beat ;-)

Bet it must have been fun to drive though!

Take Care,

Cathy

Old July 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Admiral

I started racing go-karts at the age of 6..so by the time I was 8 I was tall for my age and my dad had always let me drive while sitting in his lap(something that you would get life in prison for today)untill I was around 5 y/o at 8 we were on vacation out in the desert and he let me drive his rambler ambassador station wagon. I drove for like 60 miles or so. He was very confident in my driving. By the time I was 15 and had my permit he bought me a 1953 plymouth suburban station wagon to drive on our dirt road out in the county. I bet I put a million miles on that old car..he payed 45 dollars for it and put a 50.00 starter on it when he bought it. He sanded it, just hitting the high spots, and told a buddy of his to paint it with what ever paint he had..well he mixed up all the partial cans of paint up and it came out this gawd awful green..so it was known as the green bomb..but it sure beat walking. There is more to this story but I just condensed it down..lol

Old July 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

2004 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner...

I wasnt supposed to get it, but... my parents dont/didnt want me to drive around 10 of my friends at once, so this was the only way to go. ;-)

Basically I wouldent trade in my truck for anything in the world!

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Admiral

A silver 1963 Buick Lesabre, It was in beautiful condition when I bought it from my sister and her husband in 1976. I installed an 8-track , an FM radio and rear speakers. What a cruiser, I always said that the trunk was big enough for a queen size bed. {grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 28th, 2004, 12:09 PM
L&S80

My first car was a 1960 Chev Impala........2 door hard top......red seats & black & white checked dashboard & rear window ledge.......loved that car......then someone made a right turn into me...smashed the driver door so it wouldn't open....when I got tired of climbing in & out the window I finally sold her.........wish I still had it today tho.......<S>

Sharon
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Admiral

My first car was a 1989 Ford Tempo. (Yes, I'm a youngin.)

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old July 28th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Admiral

My Father had a 56 olds..The one you always see parked in front of the art deco hotel in Miami Beach..His was black and white, with red inside...WOW! It languished in our back yard till I sold it to a girl's boyfriend in school, for a dollar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sob sob sob

Old July 28th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

a volkswagen polo it was a 1990 rust bucket, but i loved it. i finally gave up after having a blowout on the motorway and the head gasket go, both a 6am in december at nearly the same point. oh the fuel gauge wasn't so reliable either, so i ran out on a motorway roundabout!
now i drive a 1998 chrysler neon and when my husbands backs turned i have a spin in the 2000 convertiable mustang! i look great in it, much better than im
lexxity

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:26 PM
venice

a 1961 black vw beetle with a hole in the floor board, I had to wire open the heating vents to keep my feet from freezing in the upstate new york winter, had a $29 radio in it that was worth more than the rest of the car..When my Dad purchased it for me it had 180,000 miles, when it died 3 years later I had added another 100,000, had a 'sunroof" that was really a cloth tarp that when it rained it soaked right thru..thru a quart of oil in it once a year and had to peddle power thru the floor board because on a steep hill would only go about 5 miles per hour...went "parking" for the first time in that car

wish I still had it today
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Yeoman

My first was also a Corvair Monza. Red sedan with white interior. My first experience with rear eng. Loved to go out after a snow and spin donuts at the supermarket parking lots. Memories,,,,,ah how sweet.
SSaFWs..ED
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

In 1972 my parents bought my older sister's 1965 Corvair Monza. Technically, it was my parents car, but I got to use it quite a bit. The radio didn't work, so I had an old transister radio that I hung from the dash. But when they wanted to use that car, I would drive a 1968 GMC truck with an over the cab camper. I used to have to drive that to high school. I had an off campus lunch pass, but a lot of my friends didn't, so they would hide in the back in the camper and go off campus with me.

MY first car, that I purchased myself when I was 18, was a brand new 1974 Ford Pinto...bright blue. I loved that car!

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:55 PM
First Mate

1972 VW SuperBeetle.
Bought it brand new in Jan. 1972 (it was my 16th birthday present) Friday & Sat nite see how many people could fit in a VW.
Drove that car for over 200K miles & sold it in 1986 for more than was paid for it.
It was orange w/ 8 track player. I keep looking today for one & can never find a SuperBeetle.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

61 Pontiac "boat". Remember having all the friends chip in and put in $2 worth of gas to go "run" all weekend.

Then bought a 1948 Morris Mini for $25.. and cut the roof off with tin snips, to make my own convertible.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:25 PM
First Mate

A 1958 4 door Biscayne (sp?) Chevy - Coral and white - didn't have a radio, but one heck of a big trunk.........
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Bought my first car -a 1973 Ford Pinto Sedan in 1978(with a bit of my Dad's help) when I was 17. I loved my Pinto and it got a lot of use until it just had too many things wrong with it and when we moved to our house, it went with the autowrecker to "Pinto Heaven".It had a good, zippy little engine!!Had to have a friend install an 8 track tape and later a cassette deck! If I had tons of $$, I would buy one and restore it!!
LaurieM-I am very jealous!Your pinto was new!! Mine was brown in colour.Maybe your Pinto is with mine in "Pinto Heaven"!

Old July 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Admiral

My first car was a 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet. We had to wait until we were 18 to get a drivers license in NY City. We saved up $900 to buy a car (which came close to the cost of the cheapest new ones in those days). Problem was , for two drivers, in the Bronx, 18 and 19 years old, the insurance was over $800. Mom would not allow her sons to drive a $100 car so she made Dad buy us a new one . It was supposed to be a base model car, but, since my Dad's best friend owned the dealership we got the car for cost so we ended up with a "loaded" car. It cost $2000 (base model was $1600).
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Admiral

My girlfriend had a Plymouth or Dodge..that had the ignition on the LEFT side of the wheel, anyone remember that..i? It may have been custom...also, remember the push button cars,,Plymouth Valiant I think??..Am I right Papa Bill?

Old July 28th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Your First Car?

Early Valiants had push buttons, mine had typical auomatic on the steering column.
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Admiral

The pontiac tempest had the push button transmissions also.

Old July 28th, 2004, 05:43 PM
venice

Default Re: Re: Your First Car?

my next door neighbor has a 1972 orange super beetle in "mint" condition. want me to tell her you are willing to buy it ?
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Admiral

The first car I drove when I was 16 actually belonged to my mom, but we shared it. It was a 1964 Chevy Corvair convertible - the one with the motor in the back, it was butter yellow in colour with tan seats. A great car till Ralph Nader got them all off the road!
My first car I bought with (my dad's help) was the original 1976 Honda Civic hatchback, it was light blue and I loved that car. Drove it for 13 years till it died. R.I.P.!

donna

Old July 28th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

My first car in 1980 was a 1970something AMC Javelin.....no air.........the drivers side door didn't latch well so it would open going around corners.......the car looked like a shark.....it ended up totalled when a kid on a motorcycle tried to pass me while I was making a left turn.
Angela Z.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Yeoman

Mine was a 1971 Delta 88 Oldsmobile. A boat to today's standards!

Luanne

Old July 28th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Admiral

A 1976 Ford Econoline 350. With the furry inside, and bed in the back. I removed the bed to make more room for sound equipment, and my friends thought I was a complete idiot for doing that. I now realize they were right.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:03 AM
First Mate

A 1965 Ford Falcon. The irst week I owned it the engine blew and it went downhill from there. I still am not sure how much money I put into it.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:16 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

I am very jealous!Your pinto was new!! Mine was brown in colour.Maybe your Pinto is with mine in "Pinto Heaven"!

Brenda in Canada....I'm sure my pinto is in Pinto Heaven with yours. I eventually sold it in 1983 "as is" because it needed more engine work done than it was worth.

My next car (well...my husband's and mine) was a 1980 Ford Grenada. It, too, was blue (hmm...I had this thing for blue cars...lol). We thought we were soooo cool, because we ordered it custom from the factory. Said it would take 6 weeks to arrive. Wouldn't you know, the railroads (or teamsters...or someone) went on strike at that time. All car deliveries were delayed. It took over 3 months before we finally got our car.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Gee!! Who can remember back that far? I remember a 1964 oldsmobile not sure of the model. It was "seafoam" green. I thought it was beautiful back then but now I remember the color as resembling the green stuff in a lobster, lol. I used to polish and clean that car so much. It is a wonder I did not rub all the paint right off it.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain