Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default ResidenSea on Travel Channel

Anyone else catch the show on Travel Channel about the ResidenSea tonight???

For me, it was amazing to see all the halls and public rooms so uncrowded (only 350 owners in an 1800 passenger ship).

I'm wondering when some cruiseline will be smart enough to start a timeshare arrangement on a cruise ship for those of us worth less than $5 million (base income needed to buy on ResidenSea)

Harry
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2002, 06:24 AM
First Mate

Default Re: ResidenSea on Travel Channel

ResidenSea does have special "guest" cabins starting at $1500.00 per night. TOOOO much for me. They also said its possible to book suites starting at $9000.00 per night. Very interesting show. Do the residents have to pay port charges? Do they pay for your meals in the dining rooms? I guess I have to win a BIG BIG lottery to consider a ride on this ship.
Goerge
Old September 24th, 2002, 08:19 AM
David Starkey

I agree the TV show was interesting, but this ship looks very "stuffy" and even the TV show mentioned how owners dislike people sailing who are not owners. It also looked very boring. The Ship has had a hard time selling the suites(especially in todays economy) and I don't think these type of ships will be much of a factor in the cruise business. The pricing is so high that it really only appeals to the supper rich or very wealthy and how many of them want to stick with just one ship or really want to part with that much money?(thats my two cents worth)
Old September 24th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Wonder what the owners would think about a CruiseMates Group Cruise on her. Antlers in the dining room... kites off the stern... mini golf through suites.
Sounds like a perfect fit!

Old September 24th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Sandie

Hi Kuki!
They would probably make you walk the gangplank!! It was a very interesting show last night, and if I won the lotto, it might be an option? But the thing I came away with is the fact that this ship is owned by a bunch of SNOBS!! They made it VERY clear that they didn't like the guest option of traveling...Funny, because you'd still have to be pulling down a wad of cash to even travel THAT way!!!
Give me the plain ole cruise lines anyday!!!

Regards,

Sandie
Old September 24th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Admiral

I missed it. But just looked it up on the Travel Channel's website. If anyone else missed it or you'd like to see it again, it's coming on again Saturday followed by "Cruise Ship Secrets" - here's the schedule.

ResidenSea: The Floating City

Envision a future where entire communities exist floating free from the bounds of land. Come along on the maiden voyage of ResidenSea's "The World," the first oceangoing cruise liner designed for full-time occupancy.

Sep 28 2002
6:00 PM EST

Cruise Ship Secrets

Explore the world of life at sea on several of the world's most popular cruise ships. The entire range of activities available to passengers is revealed. Go behind the scenes to see how these floating cities are prepped and provisioned.

Sep 28 2002
7:00 PM EST

This one looks interesting too but it won't be on for a few weeks. Might be one to set the VCR for:

Ultimate Sea Cruises

Uncover the best sea cruises from around the globe. Find out which cruise to take to meet the most singles, which cruises are best for taking kids, and which will provide the adventure of a lifetime.

Oct 17 2002
1:00 PM EST

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 24th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Thank you Michelle for the information. Now I have no excuse (except my memory) to miss these shows.

Phyll
Old September 24th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Saw a news clip from Canada,,,,The World was in port up there last weekend.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old September 24th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Prices are not that bad. You can get a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment for $1400 a night for four people. Adding the meal plan takes it to $1900 or a per diem of $425 which is less than Silverseas, Crystal, or Seabourn. You can also get a balcony suite for $500 per diem. Seen some discounting via throw-ins.

My TA was onboard for British Open. She said it was just like staying at a resort except that it was on the water. Entertainment only consisted of a piano bar. However, ship and food were wonderful.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14