Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Wine Snob

Default Wine Tip du Jour

Did anybody see the special on "The World." They suggested not buying that rare varietal on a cruise ship because the constant jarring of the ship doesn't allow the wine to rest. Why pay big bucks for bruised wine? That makes good sense. Just buy a young varietal that you know is always acceptable. Otherwise you may be wasting your money.
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Wine Tip du Jour

Yes, Wine Snob, I have heard that about wine on cruise ships, even though I did not catch that show. Makes you think that you are throwing money away. Save the wine money and spend it on your next cruise! It's a great tip, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Old September 26th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

I taped the show but haven't had a chance to watch it! Interesting tip.

Old September 26th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Yeoman

Hi: MAY DAY< MAY DAY >>>>>>>>

There are lots of reasons why not to pay big bucks for a bottle of wine but the effect of the ship's movement on the wine is not one of them.

I did not see the TV show but I can tell you that the movement of the ship actually helps age the wine in the bottle, not spoil it. Champagne bottles in the wine cellar are turned on a regular basis duing fermantaion and aging.

I confirmed this with a Winemaker who I know and who is currenlty working at one of the best wineries on Long Island.

My suggestion: Bring your favorite wine with you and pay the corkage fee. You will be happy with the wine and not have to worry about paying the big bucks for a wine you may not know or like.

Bob
Old September 26th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Happy Camper

I read the same thing - I think it was in the Wall Street Journal. But I enjoy wine and actually have bought wine on board - regular $10 bottle of wine back home - and it was better than the wine I bought when I got home - same year. Maybe the rocking does help not hurt... Maybe on vacation it tastes better - or just on a CRUISE! Debbie
Old September 26th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Yeoman

Debbie: All three....