CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Panama canal cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/261552-panama-canal-cruise.html)

Shari 2 September 26th, 2002 09:16 PM

Panama canal cruise

Does anyone know which side of the ship would be best to view the canal and the scenery? We are thinking of a cruise on the Infinity to the canal, and we will have a balcony room. I read someone's review a way's back that said a certain side of the ship was better to see everything from your balcony room, but I cannot remember which side it was.

Also, anything said about the Infinity Panama canal cruise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

pamda September 26th, 2002 10:47 PM

Re: Panama canal cruise

Hi, Shari ...

It depends upon the direction in which you are travelling. From West to East (really South to North) the port is better. The other way, starboard.

Usually (which is not totally predictable) cruise ships are on the southern lock set so you can see more of the action.

Just to make sure, make friends with someone on the other side of the ship.

Take a LOT of sunscreen. And, before you go, read "The Path Between the Seas."

Shari 2 September 26th, 2002 10:55 PM

Hi Pamda:

Thanks for the information.

PEB September 27th, 2002 09:11 AM

We sailed through the Canal on the Mercury this past April. I spent most the time out on the open decks. For me I would not say that any one side was better to see than any other side. I spent plenty of time on both sides of the ship and saw many interesting things. Which lock side you go through is the luck of the draw. The cruise ship do get a priority over freighters on going through the locks.

Happy Camper September 27th, 2002 11:09 AM

We went form Alcapulo to San Jaun through the Canal and we had a balcony on the starboard side. It was great. On the open decks we went back and forth on the side of the ships. Generally I liked the starboard because you could see the land. The naval base was on that side. The fire station was on the other side though and the ships passed on the other side.. Make sure you see both. When you go under the bridge of Americas on the Pacific side be up on deck and you feel like you can reach up and touch it! Read as much as you can - we could bearly hear the naration going on. I have read so much since we did this cruise in 1996 that now I need to go again! :) Debbie

Happy Camper September 27th, 2002 11:11 AM

Our ship also stopped in Curacao and was small emough to pull into town. When we left, the hotel on the starboard side lit up with lights and started playing "Love Boat" as load as it could while we sailed past and everyone there and on the land were waving. It was really pretty Bon Voyage! In this case only those late to late seating dinner and were on the Starboard side at the time saw it. Glad we didn't miss it! Debbie

Shari 2 September 27th, 2002 03:40 PM

Hi everyone:

Thanks for the information on the Panama canal cruise. We are looking forward to it. Thanks again.