Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2002, 04:46 PM
lorie stieben

Default whens the best time for travel to carribean

we enoyed princess cruise lines we would like to take a cruise to the carribean maybe the western now is march or late fall a better time to travel there any other advise thanks lorielooking at 2004 or earlier
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: whens the best time for travel to carribean

January through March is a good time for The Caribbean. April starts the rain season. As for fall I can't help, never sailed in the fall and really do not remember when the hurricane season ends.

Old September 30th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Hurricane season begins in theory on June 1 . There are usually no named storms until sometime in July. As anyone can tell from listening to a weather report, September is peak season for named storms. They can continue until late October and even into early November.
We cruise the Caribbean every year in very late October or early November. Admittedly we have had a close call here and there but never cruised in a hurricane ( sailing Oct 28
on Summit) . If there is no storm around this is a wonderful (and inexpensive) time to cruise the Caribbean. Cruise in November or early December and you should be fine.
Old September 30th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I love going down to the Caribbean and cruising in late winter/early spring, so March is my favorite time, very warm, still cold and wintery like here at home and no hurricanes to worry about. I'd say go for it!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 30th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30 - though June and November are the least likely months to run into a hurricane. Price wise - fall, late November to early December (post Thanksgiving nad pre-Christmas)is also a good time - then again early January (just after New Year's) til end of February (just before Spring Break starts).

Old September 30th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi..so many answers, and heres another one..I have sailed in Oct to the carib many many times,and am going again in 3 weeks,,I have never encountered a hurricane, and the captain will steer clear of any storms..I don't do well traveling in the winter, while I have done it , i prefer the fall...March can be a brutal month for snow in my area[Boston] .
Trip/Monday Chat Host
Old October 1st, 2002, 06:40 AM
JimG

During hurricane season, you may visit different ports than you expected if there's a storm in your designated itinerary.

During november thru mid january excluding actual holiday cruises, is the cheapest time with the most berths available, because so many are shopping for gifts and planning holiday get togethers.

Mid january through march is high season, with ships traveling full and less discounting. This is the time everyone in the north has gotten sick of the cold and dreams of beaches and palm trees.

Spring break lasts over a month and is good only if you want to drink and carouse (or observr it) for a full week. This CAN be pretty much avoided if you can afford a longer cruise (10+ days) due to these cruises reputation for older clientelle and the fact that the kids mostly can't afford it.
Old October 1st, 2002, 01:56 PM
Happy Camper

I would avoid March because of spring break - did it once and will not again if I can avoid it! Aug. - Nov. be careful of hurricanes. It is a chance and you have to know that ahead of time. Personally I like the Western Carib. in mid Oct. Before time change so the sunsets are around 7pm not 6pm. The water is still warm and the days are nice - July- Sept can be brutal heat. Jan - MAr the water can be colder - low 70s in Cozumel and we scuba dive so prefer it a bit warmer. Also the days when you pull out of embarkation port can be chilly. Debbie
Old October 1st, 2002, 05:49 PM
First Mate

I don't know the best time to go, but I'll tell you what, we went at the end of July and it was HOT, HOT, HOT! HUMID and HOT. We knew what we were getting into, but good golly! I won't do that again. Had to have LOTS of cocktails on that cruise!!
Old October 1st, 2002, 10:05 PM
First Mate

As first-timers, we went in Jan. this year (E. Carib.)and loved it. We are doing Jan. again next year.(W. Carib) Feb would be OK. You couldn't pay me enough to go during hurricane season and I am sure the heat is bad in the summer. It's wonderful to get away from the cold and grayness of winter. It was warm, but not oppressive.
I would love to do a cruise/rail trip to Canada in July or Aug.