Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2002, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Default What's your experience been with the new luggage restriction

Last year I bought new luggage (very expensive new luggage) before going on my first cruise.

Now I am in the proccess of booking my 2nd cruise for this January, and I'm reading about new luggage restrictions. Has anyone out there had to pay this $80.00 extra charge for a suitcase more than 62" (height, width, depth)?

I've read that some say they have paid it, and some say their bag was well over the size limit, and the weight limit (70#), and were told not to worry about it, and boarded their plane with no additional cost.

Obviously, I don't want to buy new luggage if I don't have to, so please tell me what your experiences have been.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Happy cruising,

Keith
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2002, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What's your experience been with the new luggage restric

I think you have answered your own question. It has been going both ways, but, you are hearing more and more people have it go the wrong way. Why chance it? If it's $80 it will be the same coming back. That buys a nice new suitcase right there. I think most of us will find the 30'' monster on wheels that we pack all our earthly belongings in does not meet size restrictions and often will weigh over 70 pounds when full.
Old October 3rd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also read that Skycaps are more apt to let ya slide by , IF of course you slide em some green ...........Stephanie
Old October 3rd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Does anyone know the exact measurement and how you calculate it on a piece of luggage? The weight seems simple, but the how to of getting a precise measurement doesn't sound so easy.

Phyll

Old October 3rd, 2002, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Length + Width + Depth <=62"

marc

PS No one has confirmed if wheels and handles count from what I have seen.
Old October 4th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Thanks Marc for the info.

Phyll

Old October 7th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: What's your experience been with the new luggage res

I have been trying to get info on the wheels/handle question. I called American Airlines - they told me they were not included - but said they had nothing in writing. I e-mailed AA hoping for a reply I could pack with my travel docs in case of a problem at the airport - they called me instead and left a reply on my voicemail that made absolutely no sense. I called AA again - and this time was told they were included but they would not send me anything in writing. I called AA back, spoke with a supervisor who called the airport I was flying from while I was on the phone. She said that the wheels are included if they are built into the bag, the same for the handle if it is retractable into the bag and operating normally. I still don't have anything in writing - but I have her first and last name, her operations location with phone number, and the date and time I spoke with her.

Sounds like a lot of work for a bag - but our 30" bag has an insert that works so well for formal dresses and suits. If I pack the shoes and toiletries elsewhere I can keep the weight reasonable. I must admit, it became a bit of a cause for me too. How can they make a change and not give out specific written information which the flying public can rely on as accurate?

Karen
Old October 13th, 2002, 01:56 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: What's your experience been with the new luggage

Has anyone had a problem with a 30" pullman?
It's a Samsonite and I looked up the model number on a Samsonite website and they gave the dimensions as 30.5 x 21 x 10
To me that equals 61.5"
I called AA and was told that "we don't walk around with a tape measure, you should be fine"
I than asked him if he would be there to pay the $80.00 if it wasn't fine.
I didn't get an answer to that question.
Old October 15th, 2002, 05:41 PM
A

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What's your experience been with the new lug