Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- What should a Maitre D do to EARN his tip?

OVer the years in discussions on tipping, the tip to the Maitre D always seems to be a bit of a sticking point... and certainly even more so now with the advent of auto tipping.
Leads to the question.....
What do you think the Maitre D should be doing that would earn his suggested 50 or 75 cents/day/passenger?

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Salem5050

Default Re: POLL- What should a Maitre D do to EARN his tip?

He did nothing except stand there look pretty and once open my lobster. Sorry but I did not tip him!
Old October 6th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Admiral

A good Maitre D' should arrange table mates with people of similar demographics, whenever possible, in hopes of good matches for conversation. If you ask for a large table, you should get close to what you ask for. Newly weds should not be placed at tables where they will feel uncomfortable, for instance. Maitre D' should check on each table to be sure all services are in place and things are going okay for your table. he should fix problems with little hesitation and embarrassment. He should help servers, when the need arises for an extra pair of hands. Hence the lobster shell, pepper mill, etc. He should check to make sure the semollier visits your table in a timely manner for wine orders and that servers are doing their best work to meet your needs. This sounds like a lot for 50 cents or so to me.
Old October 6th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Admiral

We think the head Maitre d' in the Dining Room is one of the most important personages on the ship. We usually try to say hello to him when we check our seating immediately upon embarkation. He's the only one on board that we ever tip in advance... generally with a palmed bill at the initial handshake when we first meet him. Right from the beginning, he will make a bit of a special effort, while we peruse his seating chart, to be sure we're well located. We always take a table for 2 and, if the sailing is not too crowded, he may take a well located table for 4 and give it to us... keeping it as a 2.

Most important, however, is the fact that a ship is really a small closed society... and everyone watches everything, particularly in the dining room. A good MD, whom you have tipped, will generally make a point to visit your table at least once early in the voyage... to ask if the table is ok... or just to say hello. This visit is not lost on your waiter, assistant waiter, the area Assistant MD, other waiters and so forth. It "places you" as someone who merits excellent service, offers to prepare special foods and who, for whatever reason, is assumed to be part of the "in" crowd, sure not to "forget" to tip the waiter and so forth.

Does it always work? No. But it almost always works with a good MD and we never fail to do it. Do you have to do this to assure good service in the Dining Room? No... but you don't have to tip the MD in an upscale land based restaurant either, but it isn't a bad idea.

Post Edited (10-06-02 12:49)
Old October 6th, 2002, 12:46 PM
vettefan

I think he should at least make an appearence at your table nightly to ask if everything is OK. On the last cruise, Golden Princess, he was there every night, and on the last night I told him it was my brother in laws birthday, and he arranged a cake and card from the captain. On a few of the Celebrity ships, you only saw them on the last night. On these I don't pay.
Old October 6th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Normally, you would not even see or know this person, except when you first walk into the dining room every evening, he is usually there to greet people.

On our last cruie, Celebrity Infinity, this guy made an attempt to stop by our table every evening and see how everything was, what we did that day, etc. He also made suggestins and some small talk, put everyone at ease and in MHO deserved the tip. Now, if this does not happen, I don't see any reason to tip.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 6th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Admiral

On our first cruise he came by each night, did little extras and made sure everything was perfect. He was tipped well.
On our second cruise, we never saw the Maitré d. Didn't even know he existed. We tipped our waiter and asst very well, but the Maitré d got nothing.

On our Celebrity cruise....the waitstaff was not that great...they were tipped the minimum. They constantly got orders wrong, you waited forever to get refills on tea. We were also rushed through meals each night. The Maitré d was there every night, and made things right when they went wrong. He did everything and then some to make our dining experience eventful. He was tipped well.

What do I think they should do? Make an appearance each night to inquire about service and if there is anything wrong, he should do his best to correct or fix it. If he is non existant, I don't tip.

Post Edited (10-06-02 18:10)
Old October 6th, 2002, 05:45 PM
First Mate

On our first cruise, the maitre' d stopped by our table to greet us each night, and on one evening, when our table of 8 had stayed late, he joined us to answer all our questions. On our second cruise, we traveled as a family. The maitre' d brought our 9-year old daughter's meal to her ahead of the others, taking the time to cut her steak, trim the tails off shrimp, etc., in such an entertaining fashion that our tablemates always looked forward to that visit with our daughter's food. On our third and most recent cruise, our only contact with our maitre' d was changing our seating to what we preferred at the beginning of the cruise. Any and all of these special attentions made us want to show these men great appreciation in the form of a tip.

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old October 6th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Brad Krewson

After reading all of this maybe I will tip him. After 4 cruises they have been around to stop by and say Hi. If I had any problems I always talked to the head waiter, never the MD. On our next cruise, I will stop by to check our table after we board before dinner.

Maybe a tip will work in our favor ! ?

Brad

Old October 6th, 2002, 06:48 PM
First Mate

We did not tip the MD on our last trip as we did not see him, except on the last night saying goodbye to everyone at the door. If he would have stopped by once to say hello (or when entering) we would have tipped. I don't expect a table visit every night, there's not enough time but once in the 3 nights would have sufficed.

If he is the one who arranges your dining mates then we should have -OOPS. Our table for 12 included 4 groups of 3. One young guy (5 or 6?) 3 teenage girls and an 18 yr old guy. It was a very good mix.

richard
Old October 7th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Yeoman

Hi: A good MD should be tuned to how well his workers are serving you. That includes, I think checking on our staisfaction on a nightly basis.
Our MD on the Dawn Princess over heard me say that I really liked a specific Italian dish....he did not know who specifcally said it but turned and asked. I told him about how much I liked it and he said he would make it specially for me the next night....and he did! It was great and I tipped him well. I saw this MD doing similar things for lots of diners. He deserved a good tip and he got one. Bob
Old October 7th, 2002, 08:42 AM
David Starkey

Most of them do nothing to improve or make our voyages better.( minor exception were two MD"s we have had on Princess ships)
Old October 7th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

We never saw the MD on our last cruise. We did not tip either. Stephanie
Old October 7th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Delores

Default Re: Re: POLL- What should a Maitre D do to EARN his tip?

Don't even know who he was on the Vision of the Seas. The Head Waiter came to our table each evening, but not the MD. I couldn't even tell you what he looked like. No, did not tip. Have never had one that came to the table.
Old October 19th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Admiral

test

Old October 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Admiral

test

Old October 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Admiral

test