Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Default POLL: Pre-Cruise or Post-Cruise?

I know most cruisers try to arrive at the departure port the day before the cruise.

But what if you were attaching a mini land trip to your cruise...would you prefer to do so before your cruise or after the cruise?

I have only taken a few extra days pre-cruise, but wondered what others had to say about post-cruise stays.

[imghttp://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/cards/images/cards/COY062400-01.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL: Pre-Cruise or Post-Cruise?

One more try...
Old October 8th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Admiral

I've done Post Cruise on several occasions, but much prefer Pre Cruise, after the cruise is over, I'm ready to get home.
Old October 8th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Admiral

If we can we do both. The pre cruise stay we do for two reasons. First to take the "edge" off any transportation problem getting to the cruise. Second , to get to know the port city.
For our first cruise or two the port area was nothing more than an airport , a bus or taxi and a pier. Now we spend a relaxing day or so touring, walking around . The post cruise stay takes some of that " the vacations over" feeling away from your last day or so . Instead of rushing off the ship to an airport we check in at a local hotel. Now we can take our time leaving the ship and again enjoy another day unwinding with no rushing to an airport. We will usually make a midday air reservation the next day and it allows for a nice wind down and more leisurely trip home.
Old October 8th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Admiral

We try to do both. Last New Years, we arrived in Miami on Dec. 27 for our Dec. 30 cruise, and then also stayed one night afterwards. My brother and his wife drove down from the Cape Canaveral area and spent the day with us after we disembarked, then they drove us to the airport the next morning. It turned a nice 6 day cruise into a great 10 day vacation. In May, for the Let's Get Lei'd cruise, we stayed two nights pre-cruise in Honolulu and one night post-cruise in Vancouver. I wish we had stayed several days in Vancouver! But once again, a great 11 day cruise became a wonderful 14 day vacation. Our next cruise leaves from San Diego, a short one-hour flight for us, so I doubt if we'll spend any pre-cruise time there, but we'll definitely stay a couple of nights in Miami at the end!
jennifer
Old October 8th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Admiral

I think (and I have never done either) that it would be nice to have maybe two days before and two days after to see the port city.
JMHO

Old October 8th, 2002, 09:39 AM
First Mate

I've never done either, but I think with as long as it took me to get my 'land legs' back, I'd rather do a pre-cruise stay and then just go home afterwards.

Denise

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old October 8th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Captain

I have done pre and post cruise stays. It really doesn't make a difference to me which one I do it just depends on how much vacation time I have left at work.
Old October 8th, 2002, 09:58 AM
AR

Generally, it's dictated more by logistics and specific interests than by any great conviction. The best is when you can do both. And the stays don't have to be in the port city.

For instance, on a Genoa-Genoa Mediterranean cruise, we started in Venice, took the train to Genoa, then afterward took the train to Milan. Did four or five days in each place.

For extended land packages such as Alaskan cruise tours I think pre-cruise makes the most sense. That's what we did in Alaska, then spent a few extra days in Vancouver at the end.

AR
Old October 8th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Well now seeing as how Dan won't fly,,,,I always have a pre & post stay. <VBG>

We usually cruise out of Miami,,,so drive down from Va,,,takes us 2 or 3 days,,depending on how many friends we stop in to see!!

Then hang around Miami with relatives for a couple days. (they cruise with us)

Then post cruise,,,same routine,,,only in opposite direction.,,,<VBG>

So we usually do 2 weeks away with a 7 day cruise. My kind of travelin.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old October 8th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Yes. I think it depends a lot upon the port cities. We tend to go a day early for Florida sailings, just to make sure we get there. We have very little interest in hanging around afterward.

San Juan, my second "home" is another story. We'll add three days or so on at the end.

For really "foreign" ports, the more time we can add on, we do. On either end.

But the packing !!! ACK, the packing !!!

Old October 8th, 2002, 10:18 AM
susancruzs

I always try to do pre-cruise as I had a couple of close calls flying in the day of the cruise!

Post-cruise I really want to get back home and generally don't stay over, although I have, depending on the port.

Now that I'm not "using" vacation days, I'll probably look at staying after a day or two, alot differently!

Susan will be cruisin'
Old October 8th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Pre-crise would be my vote. I just got back from a 3 day crurise from Miami on Royal Caribbean Majest of the Seas. We did a 1night stay at the Days Inn Civic Center the place was some what of a dump and the service was just o.k. But if I had to do it again, and I hope I will soon, I would definantly do a pre-cruise stay at a better quality hotel. The pre-cruise stay helps you to start relaxing sooner. I don't think I would ever do a post-cruise stay only because I love to cruise and when the cruise is over I just prefer to go directly home and jump back into reality.
Old October 8th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ideally I'd like the post cruise stay to also be a pre cruise stay because that would mean I'm cruising again <G>

Not having that option, I'd opt for the precruise because I'm so anxious to get the cruise started the sooner I can get to the embarkation city the more real the cruise is.

Old October 8th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Admiral

I like to do the precruise stay. That way I worry less about arriving at the ship on time. One night in a hotel on the way home makes for a little more relaxation too. For Hawaii next year we are doing 3 nights pre-cruise and 1night post cruise.

Phyll

Old October 8th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: POLL: Pre-Cruise or Post-Cruise?

Highly recommend at least 2 days precruise for Hawaii. First just to get to see Oahu, second to adjust to time (especially from east coast). We had tablemates who were basically wiped out for 2 days because they flew in from east coast, got on the ship and by dinner time had been up for 30 hours.
Old October 8th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Love to do pre-cruise whenever possible, have not had the luxury of doing a post-cruise. I think that would be fun too :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 8th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I always try to do at least a one day pre-cruise stay, especially trying to fly in to the port from the Midwest in the winter. I've never done a post cruise stay, but will this upcoming January (will seem weird getting off the ship and not having to rush to the airport!)

Old October 8th, 2002, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Over 7 previous cruises we have never done either. This year I decided to go in a day ahead, just in case with the airlines. Due to air prices (cruise ends Tue before thanksgiving) we are staying 2 days to visit family & friends and flying home thanks day. We save about $200-250 on our air which pays four our hotel and car and probably our meals. Also, I won't be tempted to go back to work to "clean off my desk" this way.
Old October 8th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

On our last 2 cruises we flew in the day of debarkation. This time we are going in a day early and staying the day after. Hope it will be less stressful. Hey I'll get 2 extra vacation days out of it.. Works for me ./////Stephanie
Old October 8th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Admiral

When I sailed with my sister-out-law, she could not understand why I insisted on spending a couple of days in Barcelona, post-cruise.

"Miss, have you ever been to Barcelona before?"

"No."

"Then why would you want to miss it?"

It was all I could do to drag her to the airport to come home.

I think the combination of a cruise with spending land time in a fascinating city makes the vacation all the sweeter. The hit-and-run of port/port/port pales in comparison to being able to immerse yourself in a terrific place for a few days.

Queeg and I will extend for as long as vacation time and wallet allow in far-flung locations we might never visit again.

Old October 8th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Having only taken two cruises, both out of Florida, I've only done a pre-cruise stay. The first cruise, we drove to the port the day of the cruise and that was very hectic. I like the pre-cruise stay because it gives you a chance to relax and start being "on" vacation.

I'd love to do both a pre-cruise and post-cruise stay if I were leaving from or arriving in some exotic location. But since my other half refuses to fly I don't know how likely that will be.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 8th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Michelle,
Just give me or Lisa or April a ring when you want to cruise sans other half. We'll see what we can cook up!
jennifer
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:56 PM
First Mate

Since I do most of cruising during the winter months I go a day or so before the cruise, this year I'm leaving from Miami, Fl so I'll spend the day before in South beach. I usually stay at the Clifton hotel it is inexpensive and clean. When I go out I find a spot, get a drink, kick back
and take it all in.
Old October 9th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

My next cruise has a 4-day pre-cruise stop in Kenya and a 3-day post-cruise layover in Buenos Aires. I'm looking forward to the post-cruise because I'll have a chance to celebrate New Year's there, but would just as soon skip the pre-cruise. Visiting game reserves in a malaria zone during the rainy season doesn't sound like fun [did the same thing in Kruger last year]. My TA couldn't get me a reasonable airfare on a later flight to Nairobi, however.

Crystal Harmony, Alaskan Vistas
Old October 12th, 2002, 11:29 PM
Travelfun

Have been on only one cruise so far, more or less self-arranged: Flew from US to Milan and spent 4 or 5 days pre-Christmas in Milan, then bus to Naples, cruise ship across the ocean, got off in Aruba for 5 days of fun in the sun. It was all great and I arrived back home relaxed and with a great tan.
Incidentally, anyone have any good advise for solo 67-year old travel-savy lady who does not want to spend X-mas moping in US but rather travel somewhere, preferably warm (I am thinking of a cruise but don't like the single-supplement that's how I wound up at this site,) There seem to be quite savvy travelers here. Thanks in advance. Doris