Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Default Three Rules of Travel ID

Rule # 1 Get a passport.
Rule # 2 Get a passport
Rule # 3 If you have any questions reread rule # 1 and 2

In this day and age anyone (any age) who gets on a plane or cruise ship should be travelling with a passport. Sure you can have raised seal notorized copies of letters from your mother and official Boy Scout ID cards as well as your Video Rangers and
even Sky King official club membership cards (boy did I just age myself). But,
NOTHING BEATS A PASSPORT. It is cheap, easy to obtain and it is literally the best form of ID in the World. Why chance a couple of ticket agents or embarkation clerks who have had a bad hair day over "questionable" ID? Why stand and argue while your plane takes off for paradise? And believe me, you do not want to get into an arguement with an immagration officer (in any country), you will not win.
Summary GET A PASSPORT.
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Three Rules of Travel ID

I wholeheartily agree with you PapaBill. Think of the old American Express commercial that said "Don't leave home without one." That's how I feel about passports.
Old October 8th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree. We got ours since it would be so much easier than fumbling with papers. Another reason we got them, is you never know when or if they may become mandatory for any travel out of the US. Stephanie
Old October 11th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Phillip

So tell me, how much did you have to pay for the passport(s)? I have heard they range from $50.00 to $80.00 each. Is this correct? Also, do you really think that a person who cruises maybe once every year or two years, should invest in one?
For a family of 5 (mine) it seems pretty costly ($250 to $400) to obtain passports for everyone. What say you papabill? We are thinking the birth certificates which are accepted, are cost saving.
Old October 13th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Three Rules of Travel ID

Even a family who cruises only once a year should invest in a passport. It is costly at first, but they are good for 10 years. That is only $8.00 a year per person if you break it down. You will then have the security of knowing that if you ever have to leave the country, you can do it at a moments notice. I went through years of hassle with a birth certificate with no raised seal, then when I finally got one, they told me it was no good because it was in my maiden name. I finally got a passport and it has been a blessing. When you return to this country from different places, you can clear customs much faster with a passport.
Old October 13th, 2002, 11:57 PM
TamiM

Default Re: Re: Re: Three Rules of Travel ID

I am in the process of getting a passport currently. They are in the $80+ range FOR ADULTS. Children are less. Perhaps get passports for the Adults only one year, then get the kids theirs later? We are going to Alaska, thru Canada, and don't really need one, but decided better save than sorry. (My Grandfather once had to go unexpectedly to England for a month for his work, U.S.A.F. Even though he hadn't been out of the country for 20 years, he was the only person qualified to go WHO HAD A CURRENT PASSPORT!) Wish my work would send my somewhere for a month