CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   poll: what size table? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/261694-poll-what-size-table.html)

suzanne October 9th, 2002 03:49 AM

poll: what size table?

dh and i got into an interesting little debate this morning about what kind of table we want for our cruise in march. what kind of table do you like? do you like to sit at a table for eight or do you prefer a cozy table for two?

looking forward to reading your replies as i am sure our little debate will continue when he comes home!

suzanne

Jacqueline October 9th, 2002 04:03 AM

Re: poll: what size table?

If you want to meet people, you have a good time at a table for 8, but it can also be very crowdy. A cozy table for two is always nice, but very hard to get in our experience.

What do you want and what does dh want?

Lene October 9th, 2002 07:10 AM

We requested a table for 2. I hope we get it.

Thomas October 9th, 2002 07:24 AM

I prefer a table for 2 but have never received one since Mrs. Thomas always wants to sit with others. Maybe she's hinting. But I have to admit sitting at a larger table encourages friendships to be made at least during the cruise and sometimes thereafter.

Regards,
Thomas

mbuckellew October 9th, 2002 07:50 AM

My Mark would like us to sit at a table for two, but I had already requested a table for eight (oops). My reasoning is, we're going to be spending most of our daytime hours together just the two of us, eating breakfast and lunch together just the two of us, and sometimes dinner in a specialty restaurant or at the buffet or room service just the two of us. So why not meet some new people for an hour or so a day. That will give us something to talk about when we're alone.

Besides, even though he says he wants a table for two, I know that Mark is really a social person, much more outgoing than I am, and gets grumpy if he doesn't interact with new people. So it's for his own good. :)

I requested a table for eight because a table for four can be too awkward if you don't get along with the other people. A table for six can be awkward if one couple doesn't show up, and you don't get along with the other. There's usually a good mix of folks at a table for eight. And anything larger just seems like overkill.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Thomas October 9th, 2002 09:10 AM

Re: Re: poll: what size table?

Michelle, you kill me <grin>. How many husbands out there can relate to that. He says he wants a table for two but she says he really would like a table for eight and it's for his own good. So that's what she requested ! ! ! ! I'm dying here!!!!

Regards
Thomas (who can't control his laughter)

Donna October 9th, 2002 09:11 AM

I think half the fun of cruising is meeting new and interesting people from all over the world. We always request a large table.

Travelnut October 9th, 2002 09:44 AM

Hey Thomas,,,,,,Michelle knows how it's done,,,,,<VBG>

We usually go with a large group of family & friends,,,so we usually have the biggest table in the darn room. Dinner is usually the only time we all try to meet to discuss our adventures from that day. :-)

Post Edited (10-09-02 08:46)

Carole and Johnny October 9th, 2002 09:45 AM

Either a table for 6 or 8. Ten is too large unless you are all family members.
It is also difficult to hear at a table for ten.

PEB October 9th, 2002 09:54 AM

We always ask for a table for 6 or 8. We prefer a table for 6 because everyone can participate in the same conversation with 8 sometimes that is not possible.

Mermaid October 9th, 2002 10:23 AM

Large table for dinner, 6 and up. For all the reasons listed above.

We occasionally request a table for two at lunch or breakfast if it's open seating, just for a change in pace.

Kuki October 9th, 2002 11:56 AM

My preference is round 8s, or even a 10. Even if there's a couple we don't exactly hit it off with, there's normally lots of other good company at the table.

Gary October 9th, 2002 12:41 PM

When I cruise I go by myself so being at a large table is a great way to meet different people.
Let's face meeting people is the most interesting part of the cruise. Several years ago I met this young lady and she told me right out that she just wants to be left alone. Well I thought to
myself if somebody wants to left alone why go on a cruise where there could be anywhere
from 2000-3000 people on the ship. So, yes I like larger tables, the more people I meet the better time I have.

Auguste October 9th, 2002 12:54 PM

Large table, it is fun to meet people. Last year on the Spirit we had a table for 6 and the other 2 couples only showed up on formal nights bummer. Love the big round tables
By myself this time with free style cruising have no Idea how that will work out.
Auguste

Lisa October 9th, 2002 01:14 PM

A large table - 6 or larger - love meeting new people!

Phyllbo October 9th, 2002 01:37 PM

I like the large table also. We are kind of quiet people so it's great to sit with others and chat and laugh and get to know one another. I love meeting new people and hearing their stories.

Thomas you crack me up!!! I'm sure Michelle will have a come back for you. :-)

Phyll

pamda October 9th, 2002 02:07 PM

Queeg and I are definitely table for two people. I flipped when we were assigned an 8 on Summit.

The line was so long (take a number and wait an hour) to make a change that we decided to just guts it out the first night and work on it the next day.

I would never trade those nights with Helen and RayB, Kay and Chuck Sorrentino, and Jennifer y Jose for ANYTHING. (Well, maybe more cruises, but maybe not.)

Of course having the Phlamingos within a roll's throw of our table didn't hurt, either.

Wonder if we will be so fortunate on Mercury?

MizSuzannah October 9th, 2002 05:53 PM

I've been on many cruises and always prefer to sit with new people and get to know them. I like big tables. There was only one cruise where I wished i was alone...the staff knew and tried extra hard ....there was a lot of "looks" between me and the staff on that one, and even that made for some good entertainment..... examples: on that cruise, one of the ladies kept eating with her knife....never did pick up her fork. , one of the men kept belching after every four bites, one of the couples weighed their eleven year old son daily on the spa scale and would never allow him to have anything but the ShipShape menu ....He was not diabetic or anything.....they were just extremely plastic people who were obsessed with their own weight, each other's weight, and everyone else's weight. it was all very weird....

David Starkey October 9th, 2002 06:29 PM

Large tables for us such as 8 or 10 passengers. The large table gives you a chance to meet more people.

mbuckellew October 9th, 2002 07:33 PM

I live to amuse you, Thomas. Consider me your court jester.
:)
Besides, after you've made what someone considers a bad decision, any politician knows that if you put the right spin on it, the decision starts to sound good.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

dezertcruzer October 9th, 2002 09:37 PM

Jose and I prefer a table for 8 or 10. 6 is good too, but a round 6, not a rectangular 6! You can't see the people on the same side of the table as you! And pamda is right, the mix at our table on the Let's Get Lei'd Cruise was the BEST! We had the best dinner times on that one of any cruise I've ever taken. We learned the many uses of Tabasco from Ray and Helen. These dear people have been married 62 years and adore each other. Every gesture and word they direct at each other is a loving caress. What an inspiration to the rest of us! Kay kept us entertained with her knack for telling stories just so. Besides, she's a serious doggy lover, and she was missing her pug, Gates,as much as I was missing Oscar the Shih Tzu. Chuck is one of those quiet types who doesn't say much, but every once in a while comes up with the perfect rejoinder and sets everyone to laughing! Pamda and Queeg are.....well, they're pamda and Queeg! Queeg is a professional entertainer, and one could listen to his stories forever. Pamda is a serious foodie, and eating with her was to learn at the feet of the master! Some evenings she had 2 soups, 2 or 3 appetizers, no entrée, and an appetizer with dessert! Jose and I had wonderful dinner times on that cruise!
jennifer

Post Edited (10-09-02 21:17)

Thomas October 10th, 2002 07:44 AM

I may have to just book the Millenium just so I can see how a professional can manipulate her spouse. <g>

I taught Mrs. Thomas before we were married to never...................."what was that honey?"......"yes, I'm taking the garbage now".............just a minute Michelle, I'll be back to you..............."What dear?"......"well, yes, the new flowered wall paper was a good idea" .........but, as I was saying Michelle, I put my foot down......."O.K. dear. I'm coming now"..................gotta go Michelle.

Regards,
Thomas

Ben Millar October 11th, 2002 02:36 AM

I have been on the Dream and Wind . I don't like Free stiye, you stand in line to get a table, then you don't know if you will have anyone join you or not. You have a new waiter every meal. Then they won't to bill you $10. a day to be passed around by the Administration the good waiter and poor waiter. all get the same. I wont be back on NCL until they change. I like a round table of 8. If I wonted to sit at a table for two I would stay home. Mary Lou and I sit alone every night at Home.
If you wont the same table each night you have to get your tabe partners and eat between 5:30 and 6:00 each evening, this is only way to be assigned same table and maybe! same waiter!

Bob October 11th, 2002 11:06 PM

Table for 8...round! Near the entry to the kitchen, but not right by the door. Not next to the service station. Not in the main traffic path. By a window. I'm not asking for much, just perfection. Dream on...