Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Cuba???

At some point in the future, we may see Cuba open up for US travelers, just wondering if this is a stop you would like to visit??? I know I would, anyone else???

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline
Default Re: Cuba???

I would like to go there, but dh has a different opinion. Someday I talk him into a cruise that 'enters' Cuba for a day, maybe he changes his opinion.

Read and post cruise reviews

Old October 9th, 2002, 05:18 PM
David Starkey

I'll skip it as long as Fidel is around.... I'd rather spend my money where the gov't isn't anti-American.
The world is full of delightful places to visit before I would travel to Cuba.( I have nothing against the Cuban people, just the atitude of the Castro and his political henchmen)
Old October 9th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Admiral

OT, David, if everyone thinks politics, it would be a reason for me not to come to America with the president you have, but that's just an opinion and it does not keep me away from travelling where I want.

Old October 9th, 2002, 05:47 PM
David Starkey

I would comment that I have traveled in several Central & South American countries where corruption mades travel a danger to Americans and others that might be Westerners.
I am not saying the people there are bad, but the system of govt lends itself to corruption and payoffs. Personal security is something that should be taken seriously these days. I do not think everything is just politics, however when someone points a submachine gun at you and demands a payoff to travel on a public road, that got my attention.(or you will end up dead in a ditch somewhere). Yeah I have seen it first hand.

You are free to travel where you want, but closing your eyes to "situations" or places that could be risky(or foolish) is something I don't want to do while on vacation with my family.

By the way, whats wrong with our President? Where are you from?
Old October 9th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Admiral

I would love to see Cuba. I've flown very close to Cuba several times and it looks very lush and beautiful. Plus I have liked all of the people I have met from Cuba.

Some people use political reasons as excuses not to go there. I have a hard time with that kind of rationalization. Conversely, I would hope no one would choose not to come to our country on a visit just because they didn't approve of George Bush or his policies.

To me, it is ALWAYS interesting to see a new country with a different culture. I may not want to live there, but that doesn't make it a bad place to visit. Besides I really love Cuban food and Cuban music. I'll pass on the cigars though.

I couldn't feel any less welcome than I did in Jamaica, or so it seems to me...
Old October 9th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Most definitely....I'm on a ship that stops there as soon as I can!
Old October 9th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Palm Trees

I want to see EVERY island in the Caribbean. As a matter of fact, I want to see EVERY island in the World! Cuba is something to SEE, so I've heard from those who've been there.
Old October 9th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Just you watch... 90 miles from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale... 2 great ports, one... Havana being a short and inexpensive steam away... in many respects new ports of call... ideal for 3/4 nighters for people tired of private island and Nassau (yawn), a nice stop over... first day or last day on 7 nighters to the Eastern Carib (both ports) or Western (Havana only)... and on and on. I assure you that this has been looked at carefully... very very carefully... and will be on the itineraries in minutes after the U.S. Gov't. gives the OK, with or without Castro. I cannot imagine a better way to hasten the political demise of that government than to flood... flood... Havana with thousands and thousands of U.S. tourists... everywhere. Think of Nassau Bahama's on a Saturday... with 6 or so ships in Port... imagine that in Havana. It won't be too long, I'll bet.

Post Edited (10-09-02 20:13)
Old October 9th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Jacqueline - I do not agree with a lot of countries politics, but will travel there to gain knowledge and appreciation of history - but Cuba is one place I will NOT go until Papa Fidel is out of power - I had relatives who were in the military during the Bay of Pigs incident where Kruschev decided to put nuclear missles within 90 miles of the USA - they (and I) do not condone communism, where people are repressed and have no rights. I will not support a government that is that radical (and yes, this means I will not go to China and a handful of other countries either.)

Once Fidel is out of the picture I will be more than anxious to get to Cuba - the history of Cuba before Castro took over is one of absolute interest to me!

Old October 10th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Admiral

I'd love to see Cuba opened up for U.S. travelers. In fact, didn't Congress just lift the ban on travel to Cuba last summer? Trade with Cuba has not been reinstated yet, but there's hope.

Fidel has lost his Sugar Daddy when the Soviet Union collapsed and without the influx of funds from it he will have a more difficult time sustaining any economic stimuli without substantial increases in North American trade. I'm ready to go there with suitcases full of Big Macs for cigars.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 10th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cuba???

I see that somewhere down the line of tiredness my reply disappeared.

David, I am from the Netherlands/Europe, and I sure do not agree with Bush and his administration, but like I said before, that is my opinion. It will not prevent me from travelling to Florida for my cruise in the Caribean. And it would not stop me for travelling through Asia, for the people there can't help they have a bad/corrupt government.

Lisa, I understand your arguements, it is sad enough the people of Cuba have/had to suffer for someone elses "insanity", but can they do something about it? No. But would it be wise to stay away as a tourist and, in a small way, make a contribution to the people by for instance shopping, stay in a nice local hotel?

It is indeed for the history and the people you want to see a country, not for the ruling government. I am just a "plain tourist" who wants to enjoy the holidays.

Chuck, thank you for your frase: Some people use political reasons as excuses not to go there. I have a hard time with that kind of rationalization. Conversely, I would hope no one would choose not to come to our country on a visit just because they didn't approve of George Bush or his policies.

If my post reads wrong, keep in mind this is not my language.

Old October 10th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Yeoman

Hi: Great question Donna! I would go to Cuba...sans Castro's communism...in a New York Minute.

I have seen photos of another place that in another place and time that looked spectacular and maybe...maybe...if they can get theirs heads out of the sand, will be once again. The place? Lebanon. My Father was a TA back in the 50's and 60's when jet travel was just starting. He has some great photos taken on Lebanon beaches as well as other worldwide destinations, including "Holland". (shhh...I still have the wooden shoes he brought home for me).

This board is not for airing political views. I would just ask our international cruiser friends to try to see things from our view and concerns. What you don't know, can hurt you.
Respectfully yours,
Bob
Old October 10th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Re: Cuba???

One of the reasons Communism was overthrown in Central Europe was exposure to people from the democracies. Even though Reagan was calling the Soviet Union the "Evil Empire" we were not stopped from going there. I live in Miami and I know how much Cubans like and admire Americans. If I had a chance to go I definitely would, with or without Fidel. In fact, it's probably one of the few islands in the Caribbean I would go to. The barriers are slowly being broken down. Yachsmen and fishermen go there all the time. My daughter's boss and his family went. They lived on their boat but other than that paid no attention to the rules. Actually the government is perfectly aware of the travel and though we are supposed to be fined something like $250,000, I don't think it's ever done.

Carole
Old October 10th, 2002, 07:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

i would love to go to cuba. my parentsī families are from coral gables, florida and to listen to my grandmother & co. talk about their experiences in cuba before the revolution is absolutely fascinating.

cuba is one of the cheapest caribbean destinations for germans. it used to be the number one dream vacation site for east germans. more *east* germans travel now to cuba than *west* germans but the number of west germans is growing steadily. traveling to cuba as a german or EC resident is as easy as almost any caribbean destination. the cheapest cruise to be found in the caribbean leaves from havana, is run by the cuban government and is supposed to be wonderful.

having lived in dresden in east germany and in prague, i think it would be fascinating to visit cuba to see the effects of what their political system has had on the country. seeing reports on tv is one thing but to actually experience it is another. having parents and family who experienced the bay of pigs and the influx of cuban refugees in miami fuels that interest.

the last time i checked travel to cuba was still limited for american citizens. it will be interesting to watch the events in cuba especially considering the socioeconomic factors. castro isnīt getting any younger, the society is tired of the economic misery and cubaīs backers arenīt there any more. the next few years will certainly be interesting.

suzanne
Old October 10th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Yes. Suzanne, it will be interesting! I can't wait for the changes to take place - there is a lot of history there that I would like to see.