Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Default OT-Noell Bush goes to jail!

Noell Bush was sentenced to 10 days in jail for sneaking crack cocaine into her rehab center. The daughter of the Florida governor has been in trouble for drugs on more than one occasion and was in the rehab center for obtaining prescription drugs with a falsified prescription.

Had she not been the governor's daughter do you think this breach of her probation would've resulted in a longer sentence?

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: OT-Noell Bush goes to jail!

I agree Thomas... although to be fair, I think the light sentence would have occured no matter which political party her father was affiliated with. Having friends in high places sure helps.

Those Bushes should know better than to name their children names that begin with the letter "N"... first Neil, then Noelle...

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Fantasy Fest in Key West

Old October 17th, 2002, 11:44 AM
David Starkey

Whats this got to do with cruising?? duh...nothing....
Old October 17th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Admiral

That's why it's on the chit-chat board, David... The chit-chat board is, by definition, off-topic.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Fantasy Fest in Key West

Old October 17th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Maybe we shouldn't allow politics or religion on the boards no matter what. Face it folks, that is a very touchy subject for almost everyone and wisely avoided. As someone who has worked in the Criminal Justice System I CAN tell you that had this NOT been the daughter of a prominant politician, nobody would care and she would have probably been slapped on the wrist and let go. That goes for either party. I have other thoughts but will keep them to myself.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old October 17th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Good point Jim, sorry for diving in.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Fantasy Fest in Key West

Old October 17th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: OT-Noell Bush goes to jail!

There's plenty of people in PRISON right now for much less. A boy in Missouri sentenced to 25 years for a single joint, first offense comes to mind. As you well know Jim, the dispensing of penalties is unfairly administered. Just ask the black population.

I bring this subject to the boards only to ask if the readers here believe she was treated as any other person would've been had they been given a second chance and blew it?

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Passenger

The Gay article maybe should be deleted as well as any political refrence or opinions you dont like Jim.
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Thomas, while I agree there are discrepancies, some of the discrepancies can be attributed by laws in some states that on paper look good, but then you get an over-zealous prosecutor and an over-worked public defender and a judge who just doesn't really give a darn, and the law that is meant to punish one group of criminals are used inappropriately to prosecute a group of minor offenders.........and then there are those three strikes and you're out laws like in California - where a minor felony conviction that if a first or second offense would result in a 3 - 6 month jail term ends up as life in prison without parole........and don't get me started on zero-tolerance policies!

I have to agree with Jim here - if she were a nobody, she would have been slapped on the wrist and sent back to rehab; only to offend again and again until she was sent to prison - most people could care less. jmho.

Old October 17th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Admiral

I don't think being gay has anything to do with politics.

Old October 17th, 2002, 08:19 PM
David Starkey

Lets agree not to agree when it comes to politics, religion, and gay issues. Lets move on. These are issues that can breakup the best of friends and families and everyone thinks they"are right" and we all know "we are right"..
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Agree with you.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Admiral

I respectfully disagree. A nobody with no lawyer and no powerful family would've been sentenced to the full suspended sentence for violation of probation.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Well said, David.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Fantasy Fest in Key West

Old October 18th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Yeoman

What bothers me: All the focus by the media on children of present GOP politicians. Al Gore and wild Bill's kids got free passes on everything...well except for two lines in USAToday last month when Al's kid was arrested for DUI. Will see how much the media covers this. Bob
Old October 18th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Yep - the liberal media definitely has a double standard in place.

Old October 18th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Some how I knew this post would result in liberal vs. conservative talk eventually. It was not meant that way AT ALL !!!!

It was only an Off Topic post to disclose the latest development in this poor woman's struggle with drugs. And to bring out the supposed priviledge some people have because they are members of powerful families. It has nothing at all to do with the political party.

That's it. Period.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 18th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Well Thomas, as they said, you started it. <G> This also goes to show that this young lady did not receive any special favors, in fact she seemed to get hammered harder than the 'regular' person would have been. In addition, this person is an adult and what she has done, or does is really not reflective on her parents nor should it be. I have a couple of step-kids that suffered under drug abuse. One I did not raise and was involved with drugs before I met him, the other I did help raise, there was just no stopping him. It is heartbreaking for the parents, I know, I've been there. Life can sometimes be very cruel to people, no matter who brings them up or what examples they are shown.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old October 19th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: OT-Noell Bush goes to jail!

"This also goes to show that this young lady did not receive any special favors, in fact she seemed to get hammered harder than the 'regular' person would have been."........
Jim Bragg.

Couldn't disagree with you more. A person of no priveledge forges a prescription and gets hard time. She gets to go to a treatment center with a suspended sentence and probation. She violates probation by stealing prescription drugs from the nurses' cabinet and she stays on probation. She violates probation again by sneaking in crack cocaine. She gets 10 days in the jail. BTW, she was also arrested in Flagstaff, Ariz. in 1995 while attending private school for shoplifting from J.C. Penney's and paid a $305 fine.

Did your troubled sons get such breaks? (If in fact they were caught by the law)

We have a double standard in administering penalties and it's called dollars-and-cents!

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 19th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: OT-Noell Bush goes to jail!

Thomas,
Again, as someone who has worked in law enforcement and with the court system I have seen firsthand what the results are and punishments often are and this young lady was never given favorable treatment, rather she was hammered. Very few shoplifters ever receive anything more that a fine of less than $100 and-or probation. BTW, were you in Flagstaff in 1995 and how do you know what happened? Also how do you know what really happened elsewhere? News media is not the most reliable source if you use them to commend or condemn someone, I certainly would not based my appraisals of someone based on what I read in the news, especially when it comes to political interests. I'll say no more.
Jim

Old October 19th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Admiral

At the risk of getting hammered myself ...

From what little I know of the Bush family, I kind of doubt that they would ask for special favors. Rather, I think they would go the other way.

I'll bet Jim would tell us that when a cop's kid gets into trouble, he asks no favors of others cops.

At least that's GOOD cops.

My son got into some totally minor trouble when he was a young teen. (Told another kid how to open the trunk of a Honda so the other kid could put a dead squirrel in the trunk -- yeech!). Because I am politically active, because Delaware is a very small state and everybody knows everybody, and I was friends with the then Attorney General, the AG's office offered to waive the community service requirement (60 hours) and expunge his record when he turned 18.

NO WAY, said this mom. He does the community service. There were two reasons. First -- and most important -- he needed to take responsibility for his actions. Second -- and almost equally important -- I didn't want to be in anyone's debt. His record was expunged when he turned 18 and he learned a very valuable lesson.

At almost the same time, an elected official was pulling every string in the book (sorry for the mixed metaphor) to get a DUI charge dropped against a child. It got done. The politician then owed the person who brokered it BIG TIME.

I don't think the Bushes play THAT game.

Old October 19th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OT-Noell Bush goes to jail!

Sorry Jim, but you don't have to work in law enforcement to have first hand knowledge of the dispensing of criminal penalties. It is a matter of public record. You don't have any more access to public records than any other citizen.

And no, I was not in Flagstaff in 1995 and I was not in Tampa last week when she was sentenced to 10 days in jail. That is what was reported in the news. But I guess you don't believe that happened because you or I wasn't there.

And I'm not saying the Bush family asked for any favors in her criminal ordeal. What I am saying is the dispensing of criminal penalties is not universally, or fairly, administered. Surely you don't think every criminal has been treated identically for the same crime do you?

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 19th, 2002, 03:44 PM
dsawyer

I don't care whose daughter she is, I feel so sorry for the family of those who go through this. I'm sure the Bush family is totally saddened and dismayed by not being able to help their daughter even more than they have. I say its a tragic situation for the Bushes and the Gores and I don't believe we are in a position to make a judgement. Lets all hope the poor girl can make a recovery soon as well as others who are addicted.
Old October 19th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Well said sdawyer.

Phyll

Old October 21st, 2002, 02:07 AM
Admiral

10 days sounds about right. At least they're watching her.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Thomas - what in the world is your agenda? Why are you bringing this up on a cruise site? And, Noelle was not sentenced in Tampa! Her parents are trying to deal with this in the best way possible. They have not pulled any strings. They are leaning over backwards to show they are not trying to influence the criminal justice system. Ten days is the maximum sentence for what she did.

Let's get on with life ... and the purpose of this CRUISE site which is not to bring up something that could reflect on the political scene! That has nothing to do in any remote way with the purpose of this site ... even if you use the OT before your message.

Vote for whomever you want, but KEEP politics out of this Message Board!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 23rd, 2002, 08:09 AM
Admiral

"Ten days is the maximum sentence for what she did."...........Janie.

Sorry, I didn't realize that 10 days is the maximum sentence for possesion of crack cocaine by someone on probation in Florida. Thanks for enlightening me.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi...I AGREE with JIm...'nuff said....Helen