Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Default Rally Monkey ...

I think I had babies in less time and less painfully !!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Rally Monkey ...

No kidding! But they got it done.

Old October 20th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Carole Dunham

So Pam, what's a rally monkey?

Carole
Old October 21st, 2002, 06:38 AM
Admiral

Those rally monkeys worked their magic once again. Those sticks that make all the racket are annoying, but it is good to see the fans so pumped up.

Phyll

Old October 21st, 2002, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Carole D,
I am lost on this subject too! What in the world is a rally monkey???

Old October 21st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Admiral

I am so confused......

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Fantasy Fest in Key West

Old October 21st, 2002, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Hmpf. Some people are so busy concentrating on cruising that they don't realize there is a WORLD SERIES going on?

Here's the word on the Rally Money ... don't miss the Official Rules at the end of the story.

Monkey business
Anaheim fans go bananas over unofficial team mascot

By MANDI ALBRIGHT
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

AP photo
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle: Angels fans take their rally monkey etiquette pretty darn seriously. They're keen on the thunder thumpers, too.

Anaheim Angels fans aren't too busy to put anybody down, but people do say they monkey around.

Thanks to the team's unofficial mascot, the Rally Monkey, Angels faithful are going bananas over the biggest swinger not in the lineup.

"Born" June 6, 2000, in Anaheim at Edison International Field when the Halos were losing in interleague play to their Bay brethren, the San Francisco Giants, the Rally Monkey emerged as a way to get fans back into the game. Angels staff added the words "Rally Monkey" over a clip of a jumping monkey from 1994's "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" and the crowd went ape. Literally. Toy monkeys started showing up at Angels home games, culminating in the sale of "official" Rally Monkeys at Edison Field.

For a team that started 6-14 in April, the Angels have enjoyed a heavenly turnaround, finishing the 2002 season with a club-record 99 wins, beating the Bronx Bombers in the ALDS and, now, taking on the Twins in the ALCS. The 24-game improvement over 2001 can certainly be attributed to better pitching, hitting and fielding, but where does the Rally Monkey fit in? Anaheim ranked first among American League teams, with a club .296 batting average, in hitting during late innings of close games -- evidence that the Angels found a way to toss a monkey wrench into the works in tight spots. The Rally Monkey was, fans say, the Missing Link.

MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO
Rally monkey "etiquette":

Shock the monkey -- Never place the Rally Monkey in a plastic bag. That kills the rally.

Monkeyshines -- "The Rally Monkey may quietly watch the Angels only while they are at bat. That way, he can put his full attention on the way the pitcher delivers and pass the scoop on to the Angels batters," according to RallyMonkey.com. Really.

Goin' ape -- At least one Angels runner must be on base before the Rally Monkey can go crazy.

Monkey wrench -- Fans aren't supposed to brandish a Rally Monkey before the 7th inning.

The big monkety-monk -- Angels closer Troy Percival reportedly said in a TV interview that Rally Monkeys aren't supposed to watch or go crazy when the Angels are pitching.

Hankie-panky -- A Twins fan was photographed stringing up the Rally Monkey from a Homer Hankie during Game 1 of the ALCS. Where's PETA when you really need them?

--

Old October 21st, 2002, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Forgive us Pam, But John and I don't watch ANY sports other than drag racing, gymnastics, and figure skating. He hasn't a clue who is playing who when it comes to Football, basketball, or baseball. He has not watched them since I have known him.
His interest is in motorsports. :O)
Lisa was talking about a "cheesehead" once (? I think) and I had to get her to explain that one. John didn't know it either.
I have to admit, I am grateful that I lucked out and didn't marry a sports fanatic (no insult meant). It is nice to be able to go places without worry about "the game" or the superbowl or world series. Now if we go to friend's homes and they are watching it, he will watch it with them, but can walk out right in the middle and not wonder who won.
:O)))

Post Edited (10-21-02 10:11)
Old October 21st, 2002, 09:47 AM
MEMC

It's hard to get involved in any baseball game that doesn't include my Brewers, the Braves (that I grew up with in Milwaukee but are now in Atlanta), or the Timber Rattlers(Class A in Appleton, a Seattle Mariners farm team). However, all you cheeseheads, how about them Packers? Good to see that Brett is not that serious and should be OK in a couple of weeks. Although, for my money, Doug didn't do half bad once things started clicking with the other guys. 6 and 1! Not too shabby! Can you imagine what kind of defense we will have when a few guys get healthy? Awesome. Well, I guess etiquette would dictate a little good luck wish for the Angels so there you be. Stay happy and healthy everyone. Marianne
Old October 21st, 2002, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Yep, some of us just aren't baseball fans.

<ducking>

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Fantasy Fest in Key West

Old October 21st, 2002, 10:22 AM
Admiral

You are forgiven, Carole.

So long as you forgive me for having absolutely zero interest in drag racing

Baseball is my absolute favorite team sport. Nine individuals playing their personal best in a team situation.

I highly recommend a book called "The Boys of Summer" by David Halberstam.

Football, soccer, rugby, and ice hockey are little more than organized violence. (Dave Barry deserves credit for that line.)

Baseball is all about elegance. One man and one ball in one moment. You hit it, you throw it, you catch it. Or you strike out, your bobble or drop the ball, or you miss the relay.

I sometimes think that the #2 reason Queeg married me (use your imagination for #1) is that I love baseball as much as he does.

Old October 21st, 2002, 11:36 AM
Admiral

You're forgiven Pam! :O)
It's the driver that got MY attention! VBEG

Old October 21st, 2002, 04:43 PM
Carole Dunham

Oh, no wonder I didn't know what a rally monkey is. The only time I ever had any remote enthusiasm about baseball is when Wayne Huizenga bought the world series for the Florida Marlins. I only go to basketball and hockey games down here in Miami. Our stadium is built open to the skies with either to much rain or too much sun. Hockey and basketball are inside where it's air conditioned.

Carole
(who hates sun and only likes getting wet in the showeer)