CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Motion sickness best pills (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/261815-motion-sickness-best-pills.html)

Hugger October 22nd, 2002 09:46 AM

Motion sickness best pills

Can anyone tell me the best motion sickness pills? Which one doesn't knock you - yet works well to quell the stomach?
We are taking ginger capsules as a preventative. However, my husband get's sea sick very often.
thanks

mbuckellew October 22nd, 2002 09:52 AM

Re: Motion sickness best pills

Glad you are taking the ginger capsules. They are effective and have the fewest side effects.

I usually take Bonine. It works well for me and does not make me sleepy. Dramamine knocks me out.

Different medications work differently on different folks, though, so you might want to give these a try before you leave... pick a day when you're not going anywhere and take one or the other, and see how it affects you. If you don't like the side effects, then on a different day when you're not going anywhere, try the other one and see about it.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f
Fantasy Fest in Key West

pamda October 22nd, 2002 10:58 AM

Good advice, Michelle.

And, if one's going to take a "pill", start the day before you cruise.

Boomer October 22nd, 2002 11:41 AM

Hi:

I like the wrist band approach. They work for me with no "drug" induced sleep. Bob

Carole and Johnny October 22nd, 2002 11:42 AM

Throwing up works for me! LOL
Seriously, I have never used anything although I am prone to seasickness on smaller vessles. I have not been on one less than 90,000 tons, so I haven't needed it yet, but I am reading all the posts - JUST IN CASE!

Thomas October 22nd, 2002 12:00 PM

Motion sickness best pills

I usually take Bud Light and lot's of 'em before I go! <grin> Eventually they do make me sleepy but that's part of the plan.

Seriously, I take dramamine no-drowsy formula. I just stick with what works because I hate taking a chance on something that is unproven in my body.

Regards,
Thomas

Hugger October 22nd, 2002 12:41 PM

Bud Lite HuH
Well my husband does like that :)

I had forgotten about the wrist bands we have them too.

Thanks for reminding me to take them 1 day ahead that is good

If nothing else works it does help to put a lemon slice between your teeth and front lip
I know this sound really strange and doesn't take all that great - but if I get sick I'll try anything - ran into an old Naval officer aboard one time and he told me this trick - it worked well for my friend

Another thing that I did one time year's ago when we were 100 miles off the eye of a hurricane on one of the Cunard ships that had the stabilizer's go out was to drink a "stabilizer" it's port wine and brandy - sip slowly - it worked like a charm for me.

Patti October 22nd, 2002 01:41 PM

Re: Re: Motion sickness best pills

To be serious, I use the wrist bands, called seabands. I can not take the different medications, and these have worked for me for many years. You must place them on the wrist in the correct position for them to work right. It is important to read the dirctions very carefully.

Patti October 22nd, 2002 01:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Motion sickness best pills

I forgot to mention that you can get them in almost any drug store for under $10.00.
(Spell check, directions)

Lisa October 22nd, 2002 06:46 PM

I usually take bonine. Have heard good about the ginger capsules, but beware, if you have an irritable bowel, you will pay the price in that way. Also, taking too much ginger can make you sick, so just like medications, make sure you use ginger with caution (don't go overboard.)

evie October 23rd, 2002 05:50 AM

I have tried both the wrist bans and ginger capsules. Trust me, neither one of them worked for me. I have a cruise coming up and I am going to try the non-drowsy dramamine.

Happy Camper October 25th, 2002 01:25 PM

Bonine for me too. Debbie