Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2002, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Poll: How many trick or treaters

How many trick or treaters knocked on your door?
For us that live in a populated area we had one. A small little girl with parents in tow dressed as Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz.
It is a sad state today that Halloween is not like years ago. We used to go through bags and bags of candy. Today one bag of candy we will be eating 'til Easter. We always enjoyed the children coming to the door with costumes. Oh well, we do like candy in this house, hardly buy any for this household. Now we have more than enough.

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2002, 05:13 AM
Salem5050

Default Re: Poll: How many trick or treaters

Zero trick or treaters!
I hate what the world is like now!
Old November 1st, 2002, 05:40 AM
Admiral

We only had two come to the door. My daughter makes up "special" bags for the six neighbor kids and takes them over to them...as they do not trick or treat on our street. We live on a dark, country road.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old November 1st, 2002, 05:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

We had the grand total of four.....and one of them wasn't even wearing a costume....they were in a group.....I gave the uncostumed one my best "I'm so scared" scream.
Angela Z.
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Default Trick or treaters

We had about 15 last night. I'm trying to keep the wiener dog calm because of his condition while Mrs. Thomas is sitting at the door trying to intercept the kids before they can ring the doorbell and drive the dog nuts! After two hours of this I said "turn the lights out and close down" for Halloween.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:00 AM
Admiral

We had 15 kids at our house - up from previous years. It used to be so much fun, but now..... Well, we live in a different world these days.

Old November 1st, 2002, 07:02 AM
Admiral

None. We live a bit in the country as well with a fair distance between houses.

I think Halloween trick or treaters are now attending parties and things instead of the door to door route. Times change.
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:16 AM
David Starkey

We had 85 kids, it was nice to see all the halloween outfits...lots of "little ones" with mom or dad near by.
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:17 AM
Admiral

We had 3. Now I have enough little chocolate bars left to put one on my pillow each night to help count down til the cruise. :-) Thanks ML for the idea.

It was great to have you in chat last night Thomas. Hope little weiner dog is doing better.

Phyll

Old November 1st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll: How many trick or treaters

Thanks........."He who rules the house" had a better day yesterday than Wednesday. We thought he had taken a turn for the worse on Wednesday until I found out Mrs. Thomas had decided to cut back on his medication! And she was feeling sorry for him being confined to the kennel so she let him out to play too! Now I have to watch both of them.<wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 1st, 2002, 08:09 AM
Admiral

I had no trick-or-treaters. This was a good thing as I didn't buy any candy. Really wasn't expecting any as I live in an apartment complex on the third floor, so those kids would have to climb a lot of stairs to get to me.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 1st, 2002, 08:14 AM
susancruzs

I don't get trick or treaters either and I think most are going to parties now. I live in a seniors mobile home park and the landlord is pretty serious about letting people know his roads are not public streets.

What bothers me is the back section where the senior seniors live, they decorate, turn their lights on (remembering how it was years ago) and then no one comes, that is sad. I tried to organize something to bring some kids in but it didn't work out.

I guess it is a sign of the times and how things have changed, nothing is quite as simple anymore.

Susie
Old November 1st, 2002, 08:29 AM
Admiral

45 or so trick or treaters here.
Old November 1st, 2002, 08:53 AM
Admiral

We only had 8,,,that's way down from last year,,,,,get's less & less every year. I'll send most of the left over candy with the hubby when he go's deer hunting next week,,,but I did like the idea of putting the chocolates on the pillow at nite,,,very cute,,,,but then i'd just be upset cause I'd be the one turning down the bed (

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

We live out in the boonies with only 2 other houses in the area. One with a single man, the other a couple with a grown son. No trick or treaters.... ever, and this is our 3rd halloween there. The candy I bought was for the crew I work with but they're usually in costume (uniforms).
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:25 AM
First Mate

We're in a small town, nice neighborhood, by a school -- so we had about 50!
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:52 AM
Delores

We live in the suburbs of Sacramento, & we had 45. A lot of churches & malls had parties for the kids, so I think the majority are going there now. Our church had about 1000, as my husband helped there.
Old November 1st, 2002, 11:13 AM
MichelleM

We had 2 and they are the kids of our friends who brought them over. We live in a rural area. We were told that most of the kids have their parents drive them to a mall about 30 minutes away and go trick-or-treating in the mall, all the store owners give stuff out. I saw the trick-or-treating going on in Walmart yesterday and those kids got some really neat stuff, not just candy. Little coloring books, toys, candy, halloween pencils, ect.
Old November 1st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Mike if you stop posting pictures of your grandaughter and dog, I'm coming to your house and get those pictures to post myself. I love seeing those pictures.

Phyll

Old November 1st, 2002, 01:41 PM
Carole Dunham

I live in a huge condo and have for almost 10 years. We've never had trick or treaters. This year kids who wanted to could register with the concierge if they wanted to trick or trat. Not a single kid registered! So I went up to one of our malls where they were hosting a big halloween party. The stores stocked up on candy and the kids could trick or treat there. They also had play areas scattered throughout the mall. Kids had to come accompanied by a parent and no adults without kids weere allowed in. They were quite strict about it too. It waw weird halloween AND Christmas decorations up together. I am getting old! I can remember when you never saw a Christmas decoration until the day after Thanksgiving. Pretty soon they'll put them up in time for July 4th. Anyway, there were thousands of kids all dressed up and having a ball. They were so cute!

Carole
Old November 1st, 2002, 02:46 PM
Passenger

We would normally get 80 to 130. We only got 24! This is stupid when we won't even let our kids go out treak or treating in a small town in Indiana on a nice night.

Old November 1st, 2002, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We had about 40 stop by our doorstep. Each year it's down a bit.

The neighborhood has aged some. Many families still here from when my kids were growing up, and their kids have grown older too, so the old costumes don't fit them anymore <G>. Not many with young families have moved into the neighborhood.

Plus we live directly across from a "green belt"/ bike path area, so there are only houses on one side of the street. Not effective time management to candy gathered ratios doing our street, and these youngsters are smart busines people..

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 1st, 2002, 04:07 PM
AR

We had eight. When our kids were that age we used to get 75 or 80. Big difference.

Our kids (who learned from us) and all their friends went out either with big grocery bags or pillow cases. They would stop off at home at least once to empty them, then hit the bricks again. Later in the evening, the parents of the gang that was running around together would collect at somebody's house for something warming. My friend Linda, whose past includes serving time as both an actress and a makup artist, would dress up as the meanest, badass witch you ever saw and scare the hell out of the kids when they came to the door. She was the best, but she doesn't do it any more because hardly anybody comes (of course, in her case, there may be a good reason).

The few kids who came around last night had only tiny receptacles, which is strictly amateur. The little plastic pumpkins or whatever couldn't hold more than 8 or 10 items.

Halloween is about greed and fear, and as a nation we're losing our edge.

AR
Old November 1st, 2002, 05:25 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: Re: Re: Poll: How many trick or treaters

We had 51 goblins this year -- up from around 30 last year.

My parents (still living in the house we kids grew up in) had around 20, down from the 100 or so we used to have when I was a kid.

You know, when I was a youngster my brother and I used to go out trick-or-treating every Halloween. And we lived in a neighborhood with really long parallel streets; so we'd take these great big pillow cases and go up one side of the street, and down the other side, come home, empty out our pillow cases, and hit the next street, and so on. We had so much candy, we'd still be eating it on New Year's Eve! Now that's how it's supposed to be done!

It's really a shame to see the kids going to the malls to trick-or-treat. Just doesn't seem right..........

But with all the mayhem out there these days, I guess it's understandable.

You know, 1974 was a good year for trick-or-treating!

Dean
Old November 1st, 2002, 05:26 PM
Passenger

Had 63 Trix or treaters put x-lax in place of the Hersey bars. Just kidn
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: How many trick or treaters

You know when I was a kid you had to do a trick in order to get a treat. Does anyone remember that?

We use to rehearse at home before we went out. We would be invited INTO the people's house to do our trick. It could've been a little song, or a magic trick, or a riddle, or something of the sorts, but it was required to get a treat. Do you remember that?

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 1st, 2002, 08:37 PM
Brad Krewson

We had 85 kids this up from 63 last. The highest was 150 back in 1988. I think i'm a little OCD.

Brad

Old November 1st, 2002, 08:42 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: How many trick or treaters

Thomas,

We never had to do a trick on Halloween, but sometimes some of the people handing out candy would ask us if we wanted a trick or a treat!

And hey, we took the treats -- we were no dummies!!

Dean

P.S. One of my fondest trick-or-treating memories was when one of the neighbors dressed up in a black costume, and waited out in the driveway hiding behind something, and would jump out and scare the kids! That was the greatest! He'd have spooky music and sounds playing out there, and had all kinds of pumpkins and other fun things up and down the driveway. It was a real treat (pun intended!) to go trick-or-treat at their house!

And nobody does that any longer............
Old November 3rd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: How many trick or treaters

Funny you mentioned that Dean. I've done that for several years. I decorate the yard with tombstones and graves. I'll hide behind a bush and "Moan." When the kids get near I'll jump out in my "Maniac" costume. Mrs. Thomas is inside peering out a window to let me know if the kids are old enough to scare. If they're too young I won't do it.

I'll frequently hear kids walking up the sidewalk commenting "this is the house where the monster jumps out of the bushes." It's fun.

Regards,
Thomas