Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Happy Camper

Default Balcony Cabins Worth it? I have changed my mind.

We used to not think that balcony cabins are worth the money unless on a very long cruise and it wasn't much more in cost. We've only had one balcony on our Panama Canal cruise in 1996 and one suite that was only $150 more than our outside cabin and all others have been regular outsides with the exception of one inside. After 15 cruises I have changed my mind. We had a regular outside this trip on the Rhapsody in October and I have to admit we would really have enjoyed the balcony. We love spending time together away from everyone else and that would have been great. Everytime we were outside the cabin we ran into other people and socialized with them. This was all well and good but a balcony to ourselves would have been great. I'm changing my mind - from now on I'll look at balcony cabins - I do think they would be worth it. I used to not understand how many of the people on these boards could wait a whole year and then cruise in style. I liked to cruise twice a year in regular outside cabins instead. Now I think I would rather spoil myself. Am I getting old???? Debbie
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Balcony Cabins Worth it? I have changed my mind.

Yep you are getting old, j/k, as I would rather take 2 cruises with even an inside room to one with a balcony. Altho we enjoyed our one cruise with the balcony very much but I enjoy cruisin period even more. So until I have reached the point that you have I'll take my 2 cruises a year!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 5th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Captain

If you want the balcony that is good for you. Myself I would rather cruise more often even if it is in an inside room. I have never had trouble finding a place to be alone on any ship if I really wanted to be alone and I do enjoy meeting people from other places.

Wanting the balcony doesn't make you old it just means the idea of what you enjoy has changed.
Old November 5th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Debbie,

Our rule for balconies is that the more sea days, the more likely we will book a balcony. We, too, enjoy getting away from the crowd. In my case, I am a real estate agent, so it's nice to have some time where I don't feel obligated to smile (a hazard of the business).

Also, I smoke, so it's nice to be able to just go out on the ballcony, rather than smoke up the room.

However, I am leaving Monday on a 4-night cruise in which we are in a port every day -- in that case, just an inside room.

Bottom line is we just seem to spend more time in the cabin on the longer, and more sea days, cruises (which are usally the mostrelaxing to boot).

Harry
Old November 5th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Deb.. I've been spoiled by balcony cabins. If the budget allows it, I highly recommend them, especially on certain itineraries, like Alaska, Panama Canal, and Europe.. or trips with lots of sea days.

Heck.. I'll go to an inside cabin if it means getting on the ship instead of staying home, but private balconies are a great treat.

Even when we don't get to use them alot, it's so nice leaving that door open at night to listen to the sounds, and smells the sea as we fall asleep.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 5th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[b]definitely[b] a balcony lover here, just can't cruise without one, so I certainly understand how you feel. You may as well enjoy the cruise to the fullest and get that balcony, don't U think?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Happy Camper

I guess maybe it is because we got into camping so my travel fever is assaged every time we go out in the RV. Now cruising once a year in style would be great verses twice a year not in style and always watching every penny. If it wasn't for the RV though I'd still do the twice a year cruise - I have to travel! Debbie
Old November 6th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Admiral

We'll get a balcony cabin only if we are upgraded to one or are booked on a ship that is predominantly balcony cabins and the price is right. But usually we book an outside cabin. The time we actually spend on the balcony is usually less than an hour per day when we have had one. They're nice, but I'll take the savings instead.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 6th, 2002, 10:56 AM
susancruzs

I've only had a balcony cabin once and I really, really enjoyed it! It was amusing to have the battle of the curtains with the steward because I always pushed them way back and he always would close them. We'd talk about it and laugh and he'd still close them!!!!!

Unfortuantely wanting to cruise more often and as a single, balconies are hard to come by for me! The need to cruise more often outweighs the balcony. However, if I had the funds I'd be in a balcony cabin all the time!

Susan will be cruisin with CruiseMates, Golden and Brilliance!
Old November 6th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Marnie

90% of the time, I'd say go for the balcony if you can afford it. There are some cruises that are packed so tight with ports of call, you'd have very little chance to spend on your balcony. I tend to go for the cruises that are 1/2 port days and 1/2 sea days.

On vacation, I sleep very little. My sea days go something like this. I'm often up at 5am watching the sunrise on the balcony. I hate missing a sunrise. Then it's breakfast on the balcony. Then usually some time spent up on deck. Then back to the privacy of the balcony early in the afternoon. Then off to explore the ship looking for some daytime activities. Then I usually spend some pre-dinner time on the balcony. Then off to dinner, then a show or lounge then back to the balcony with a glass of wine. This is usually worth the extra cost to me. But if I didn't have all that time to spend on the balcony, it wouldn't be worth it.
Old November 6th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Admiral

I'm like Donna. I WANT my balcony. Even though I'm outgoing and gregarious (some would say too much so ...) I want to spend down time with my husband and the sea.

Balconies matter less on port-intensive cruises.

Because I am slightly claustrophobic (read that: I would sleep with the door open if I couldn't see outside) an inside cabin is a non-starter.

Old November 6th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Passenger

I'm too claustrophobic for an inside cabin so I would never book one of those. We always used to get an outside cabin but after having a balcony I'm spoiled. I'm an early riser on vacation so I enjoy watching the sunrise with my cup of coffee then having breakfast on the balcony with my husband.....I think it's so romantic and defininitely worth the cost. So now instead of cruising 3 times a year we'll cruise twice and year and have a balcony! Plus, ships now have a lot more balcony cabins to fill and you can get some good deals.
Old November 6th, 2002, 04:59 PM
cruiseladytx

I am also one who is spoiled. Must now have a balcony. I manage to cruise twice a year, usually 1- 7 day and 1 - 14 day. I cruise to relax; don't usually hit the discos or late night enterntainment.

If I've been in port all day, it's nice to come back, grab a drink from the nearest bar and decompress on the balcony.

I always have breakfast on the balcony. I just can't fight the crowds without at least a pot of coffee in me (and they really don't want me there yet)

After dinner and the show, I love to sit and enjoy that last irish coffee listening to waves.