Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Default 28 more People sick this trip, on Amsterdam ship

FYI,
This is the article in today’s South Florida paper. 28 more people sick on the Amsterdam.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...me%2Dheadlines

If this does not show up as a link, just copy and paste it in your Address bar.

Post Edited (11-15-02 10:54)
and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: 28 more People sick this trip, on Amsterdam ship

Here's a link to the article on CNN's site.

This one may also be of interest.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 15th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Thanks Michelle,
Maybe when you have time you could instruct me how to enter hyperlinks. I know at the bottom of the page it has a place to go to, that shows you, but I am unable because of cookie anf firewall issues on our system. At work I'm limited as what I'm able to do on the net.
Thanks,

Old November 15th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Sure, Jason. Say you wanted to put a link in to the Cruisemates home page and you wanted it to look like this:

CruiseMates

In your message, you would put:

[url=http://www.cruisemates.com]CruiseMates[/url]

For the link you've put in above to the Sun-Sentinel's web site, I'm afraid it will never link. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because of the ?s and the %s.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 15th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Michelle
Got it, thanks again

Old November 20th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Admiral

This may quickly rise to a top position in the list of minutiae seen on the boards... but... I'm just wondering... why do you add the word "ship" after the ship's name "Amsterdam"? I see this occasionally on the boards and it always puzzles me.

It is not the "Amsterdam ship"... it is "the Amsterdam"... or... "Holland America Line's ship, the Amsterdam..." but never in correct usage (at least according to me) "Amsterdam ship" or "Sensation Ship" or "QE2 Ship", or "Any name" Ship.

If you follow these cruise sites or read the Cruise Line's literature and catalogs and ads, you'll never see the word "Ship" follow the ship's name... except in some posts on the boards, occasionally.

Try to beat this for nit picking!

Post Edited (11-20-02 07:51)
Old November 20th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Ernie, I think Jason used "ship" after Amsterdam in the title of this thread because it made a rhyme.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Jason.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 20th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Michelle & Ernie,
Gosh, Ernie, things a little slow for you? Lol… Picky, picky, picky….
My title, “28 more people sick this trip, on Amsterdam ship” was twofold. Michelle was correct about the intended rhyme. (Titles are intended to catch one’s eye).
It also separated the Amsterdam ship from the Amsterdam City.

Old November 20th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: 28 more People sick this trip, on Amsterdam ship

Yeah... it is a bit slow! But... the context tells it all... the word "the" in front of "Amsterdam" indicates it is THE ship... there is only one. The absence of an article (the) in front of "Amsterdam" indicates you refer to the city. Oh where oh where is Pamda when I need her. Ah yes... she's on the Mercury ship!
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Ernie,
Thank you for clarifying that Pamda is on the Mercury ship. She could be on the Mercury (automobile), in the driveway. She could be on the Mercury (spaceship), with Alan Shepard. She could be on the Mercury (compound), for medicinal purposes (saw that last week on CSI). She could be on the Mercury (statue), for a Kodak moment. She could be on the Mercury (newspaper), potty training her dog. I’m glad she is not on the Mercury (moon), if it has one, because Mercury’s average temperature is about 800 degrees. She could be on the Mercury (Dime), so know one else gets it.
In my Webster collegiate dictionary one of the definitions is. THE; someone or something that is unique or exists as only one at a time. Maybe some names are unique and can be used alone. The people that have personal knowledge of their singularity are at an advantage, but those that are not aware may need that extra word (ship) to put it into perspective.
Even the formal name of the ships contain the word, Ship. USS united states ship, MS merchant ship, MS mother ship, HMS her majesty’s ship, MS motor ship, SS sailing ship, SS steam ship, and many many more.
If you had written the M/S Mercury I would have known immediately of what you were speaking, and you wouldn’t need the word ship.
Ernie, my 8th grade English teacher once said “Jason, English seems to be your 3rd or 4th language, because the way you write and speak is clearly a different language”… I say to-mato you say tom-ato, lets call the whole thing off…

Old November 21st, 2002, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: 28 more People sick this trip, on Amsterdam ship

Jason... well... I agree. But, it is never the "Mercury ship", at least in a nautical context.

You'll notice, I'm sure it is never put forth that way. My initial post was simply to question where that strange habit was coming from on the boards... which is the only place one sees it, ever. I guess it is a form of usage by people new to cruising, that's all. If one says... "she sailed on the Mercury"... I'd guess that saying "she sailed on the Mercury ship" is kind of a redundancy. It simply isn't done in colloquial nautical English, whatever that is. Remember, I began this by saying it was an exercise in trivia... which, as you note, it surely is.