CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Please turn it off!!!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/262132-please-turn-off.html)

Thomas November 18th, 2002 11:43 AM

Please turn it off!!!!

Yes, it's happening. A new post bumps the thread to the top of the list! Chuck Palms post "Cheapest Cruise Ever" on 8/3/02 has just moved to the top because somebody posted a reply. Heck, that thread it 3 months old.

Please stop this aggravation.

Regards,
Thomas

mbuckellew November 18th, 2002 11:44 AM

Re: Please turn it off!!!!

Amen, amen! Make it stop! <weeping and gnashing of teeth>

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Post Edited (11-18-02 11:46)

Kuki November 18th, 2002 11:50 AM

This is actually too funny! A short while back there was lots of demand for having the newer posts bumped to the top. Now that it's been done, there's complaints from those who like it the way it was.

Goes to show AGAIN.. you can't please all the people all the time <G>

I'm not sure I have a preference myself. Advantages and disadvantagess to each.
If you are following a particular thread, check the e-mail replies box.

On the positive side.. if there is a new post to the thread it will now be at or near the top.

Regards,
Kuki

Thomas November 18th, 2002 11:53 AM

Re: Re: Please turn it off!!!!

I remember that request Kuki, and if I recall correctly there were more people who wished it did not change to this format. I will find it and reply.

Regards,
Thomas

mbuckellew November 18th, 2002 11:57 AM

That's what I thought, too, Thomas.

As I recall, we two, at least, did comment that we did not want the "bumping." There were posts on both sides in that thread. They did not all request "bumping."

Cheers,
Michelle B.

CruisinDenise November 18th, 2002 12:01 PM

The bumping wouldn't be as necessary if the NEW feature didn't go wonky all the time. Many times I log in and everything is suddenly marked NEW. So then it's either ignore everything or scan the dates, which is annoying, so it's more often just ignoring everything.

I like the bumping feature (sorry!!!)

Denise

Phyllbo November 18th, 2002 12:04 PM

I'm with Thomas and Michelle on this one.

Phyll

mbuckellew November 18th, 2002 12:10 PM

Here is the original post requesting this feature. Three posters requested this feature. I think that hardly counts as "lots of demand."

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Thomas November 18th, 2002 12:22 PM

Thanks.........Michelle.

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas November 18th, 2002 12:41 PM

Can't check the e-mail replies box Kuki, I'm logged in from within a firewall and my log-in address is the home computer. Add to that the computer I use at the boat and it is obvious why this option is useless to me.

Regards,
Thomas

sue November 18th, 2002 02:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Please turn it off!!!!

I must agree with Thomas and Michelle...this new feature stinks

Kuki November 18th, 2002 02:30 PM

I've been "playing" around on the boards.. just to get a better feel for the effects of having the threads move to the top.

With regard to Thomas' original complaint about not being able to find threads you were following, my initial reaction is it should be easier, not harder.
If there's a response to a thread it's near the top of the page. You don't have to go scrolling back looking for it.
That seems easier to me, unless I'm having a "DUH" moment.

Regards,
Kuki

Thomas November 18th, 2002 02:36 PM

Look on the Gripes board Kuki to see what will happen. Somebody will post a reply to a message that may be 6 months old. You then have to read what date the message came in to get a grasp on what is happening. When things are posted about current events it can throw you off if you're not paying attention to the dates.

Regards,
Thomas

CruisinDenise November 18th, 2002 02:37 PM

I don't think you're having a DUH moment. It seems much easier to me to have active threads on top, which is probably why most BB's are like this. I'm not sure why the panic over it. The stated downsides (people bumping for attention or old threads never dying) seem to be less of a concern than the downsides of the old format.

A lot of times a new reader will post to a thread farther down the page and be completely ignored, since we've all read those and are only looking at new subjects.

Oh well, I like it, different strokes for different folks.

Denise

Kuki November 18th, 2002 02:47 PM

Thomas .. I saw your post on gripes while I was playing around to see what happens.

Frankly.. just because a post /thread is old doesn't mean a new response to it has no value. In fact, responding to such a thread may give people who missed that topic a chance to read and respond, or get an answer they were looking for without having to ask the question again.

Is there room for abuse. Sure!! As in any system, trolls who want to will find a way to aggravate the situation.

I had to laugh.. if you read the thread Michelle linked to(on this topic) there's a post by Marc saying if I didn't like it, it wasn't going to happen. Shows how much pull I have.. LOL

I do have to say, so far I can't see that it's a huge difference, other than I don't have to do as much scrolling.

Regards,
Kuki

Bernie November 18th, 2002 04:13 PM

I agree with Denise about sorting threads by date of last reply rather than date of first post. If a topic's already been discussed at lenght, why make someone summarize all the previous replies just to give it exposure? I've replied to old topics [e.g., People/Singles/Insurance] that were so deeply buried, no one ever read far enough down to respond. Any topic that gets a new reply should float to the top, IMO.

Sorting by first post is useful for short-lived threads [e.g. all the Good Morning! discussions]. The exchanges last a day or so, then the topic is properly buried. But longer lived discussions need to be revisited occasionally if someone has new information to contribute or never received a response and wants to bring it to others' attention again. Sorting by last post works best there.

I guess it's a matter of preference. If someone wants to keep banter discussions on top, sort by first post works best. Others whoe are interested in most recent discussions on all topics prefer to sort by last post. It would be nice if we were able to customize our preference as with the flat view/threaded view option.

Thomas November 18th, 2002 04:47 PM

If someone wants to revisit a subject or solicit more responses to a previously posted request then there's no harm in opening up another thread. But I personally wouldn't like seeing their old post floated to the top by a single reply and having to reread all the other responses.

I've requested other sites to copy cruisemates' format to see how they can be more organized.

I spend a lot of time on another board whose format is like this one now and it sux!

Regards,
Thomas

Marc November 18th, 2002 06:35 PM

Kuki:

Taking my name in vain!!!!

Love the new system, thanks.

marc