Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Default Health Insur on Cruise

We have Tricare Prime (retired Military) health insurance. On the boards I have seen numerous references to how expensive it can be if you require medical treatment while on cruise. I called Tricare and was told that we are covered while on cruise. Do most health insurance policies cover people while on cruise out of the country? I pointed out to the Tricare rep that the medical could require a helo medivac from the ship to shore and was told that we are covered. Anyone with Tri-care ever make a claim while on cruise? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Health Insur on Cruise

Not reitred military here, but my health insurance does not cover me once I step out of the USA - that is why I buy travel insurance that has medical coverage!

Old November 18th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I do think my health insureance will cover me, but they don't cover the cost of any medical vacs, that can run up to thousands of dollars, so thats one of the many reasons I do not travel without travel insurance. I just hope I never need to test it out, but I just feel better playing it safe rather than sorry.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 18th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Not being from the U.S. I can't offer alot of advice about whether general health plans down there cover these things (they don't here).

However, I would advise getting the clarificiation of coverage in writing, rather than just accepting their word for it.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:42 PM
gann

I can tell you for sure that Medicare does not cover you outside the U.S. My secondary Insurance covers me, but I still get the insurance in case of needing to get back to the good old USA.
Don
Old November 19th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Yeoman

My insurance covers me but I have to pay 20% of the bill since the treating physician would be out of network. Also covered if I need to be medivaced. Never buy the insurance and have been on 11 cruises!
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:33 PM
Passenger

I have read others who questioned their health insurance coverages out of the USA.....I checked at the hospital I work in and I am covered anywhere and anytime! Whew!
Cathy