Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2002, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Default Does anyone have any unique Thanksgiving traditions?

Anyone have interesting or unique things they do to celebrate the Thanksgiving Holiday?
Mary Margaret

Carnival Victory
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Does anyone have any unique Thanksgiving traditions?

My husband & I go to the race track on Turkey day. Then, on Friday I fix a turkey breast & dressing & potatoes for "leftovers". We've been doing that a few years now & has sure cut down on the stress of driving 3 hours each way to relatives.
Old November 26th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Yeoman

Mike: ...my wife makes the gree bean casserole as well as something similar to the lime jello thing, without the walnuts, although last nights news say walnuts are very good for lowering "LDL".. Since I am in the wine business, I am in charge of bringing the wine. I try to find small unique wineries with a good, semi sweet product. Bob
Old November 26th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to linda t

We have Watergate salad. It's Pastashio pudding mixed with whipped cream, a can of crushed pineapple, walnuts and mini marshmellows. Mike, your lime jello salad sounds good too. Maybe I'll make that instead this year.
We also have a Japanese fruitcake. my mama made them every year and now its my job since she passed away. It's a 4 layer cake with 2 layers of yellow and 2 layers of spice cake with a fresh coconut frosting made with lemon and orange juice and nuts. YUM.
Old November 26th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Well, mostly we sit around and offend other family members.

Our T-giving dinner is called "pamsgiving" and takes place on Wednesday night. We have a blended family and decided, long ago, to cede the "real" day to the alternate spousal units.

That's a decision I regret now.

Most years, we leave on T-giving day for parts unknown. Since we're just back from two cruises, NOT this year.

This year's menu:

Queeg's infamous pate' with raspberry-marinated baby carrots

Goat cheese popovers

Chesapeake Bay crab dip

Ham with many mustards

White asparagus tied up in bundles with scallion fronds. Hollaindaise sauce.

Pineapple bread pudding (what IS IT with pineapple, anyway?)

Mashed sweet potatos with rum and orange zest

Weird cranberry salad

My dad's special Parker House rolls. He's been dead these last twelve years or so, but his rolls linger on.

Raisin pie (We always used to call it "funeral pie" -- don't know why).

Pumpkin custard

Pinot Grigio to wash it all down.

Me, I'm giving thanks that my mom, rising 90 come May first of next year, will be with us One More TIme.

But the best tradition, which has nothing to do with food, is the lighting of the "fairy tree." It's a big hemlock. across the creek in the rain forest. It has about 1000 lights on it. After we have our Quakerly moment of silence before digging into the food, we flip the switch on the tree. The lights reflect on the still waters of the creek. It's an awesome moment.

Old November 26th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to linda t
Default Re: Re: Does anyone have any unique Thanksgiving traditions?

What is "weird cranberry salad" Pamda?
Old November 26th, 2002, 12:12 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Does anyone have any unique Thanksgiving traditi

Pam, I know you're a foodie and the menu sounds great.

But your mom and the tree are better.

Thanksgiving's at our house, but unfortunately neither of the kids can make it this year. Matt will be in the cockpit jetting other families home (a noble calling in itself) and will wind up overnighting in Raleigh/Durham on Thursday. And one of Kevin's friends has cleverly contrived to get married on Friday, so he'll be off on that mission.

But we'll still have our dear friends with us, with whom the holidays are a tradition of many years standing. We're thankful for them and for a happy, healthy family.

AR
Old November 26th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Ferdinand Marcos

Well we try on shoes, and then we strip down for a holiday spanking.
Old November 26th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Does anyone have any unique Thanksgiving traditi

Weird cranberry salad has to do with a couple of flavors of Jell-O (cranberry and lime), cranberry sauce, some cream cheese, mayo, PINEAPPLE, whipped cream and pecans.

Personally, I despise it, but it plays well to the hoi polloi and unmolding it gives my sister in law something to do besides non-stop complaining.

HOWEVER, since I just bought an entire box of clementines, I may do some heavy-duty experimentation.

I ALWAYS make a weird Jell-O salad for EVERY holiday and laugh myself silly whilst doing it. Funny thing ... they sell well

Old November 26th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

This will be our 15th Thanksgiving in this house and we seem stuck on the same dishes but there's comfort in that I suppose. This year I'm trying potato stuffing to mix things up....no it doesn't go in the bird. I got the recipe from a coworker from St. Thomas.......will probably make the rest of the family go "eww".
My favorite tradition is the sidecars.....brandy, triple sec and lemon juice. I met my husbands parents on Thanksgiving 23 years ago and knew I would like them immediately when I found out there's always a nice happy hour before dinner......mother in law is gone now but happy hour with the sidecars survives. My sister's mother in law calls them sidewinders......this year my father in law has gone out to Los Angeles to spend Thanksgiving with hubby's brother.....very odd to not have him here.
Angela Z.
Old November 27th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Pamda, I hope you'll consider posting some of your recipes on Cruise Cuisine when the holidays wind down! They sound delicious!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 27th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Michelle ...

Once the new cruise book is off my desk, I am embarking on a book I've always wanted to do ...

EXTREME Entertaining ... When you really don't have any choice.

Philosophy and recipes. What could be better?