Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Poll: How much money do you spend on christmas?

CNN had a survey and it said guys will spend more money then ladies. We usually buy the kids one big gift and a few little gifts. Last year we had a cruise and just a small gift for the kids.I say we are around $500 give and take. And no we don't use credit cards for any gifts.

Old December 5th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Poll: How much money do you spend on christmas?

I don't know Sue. You'll have to ask Mrs. Thomas for the answer to that question, she spends all the money. In an effort to prevent a heart attack I don't ask !!!!!

Regards,
Thomas (who saw a bag full of gourmet dog treats for Christmas gifts for the SIL's dog)

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Old December 5th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Admiral

We are lucky if we come in at 3 times that amount.....and that's not counting if (always do) go overboard with each other. We have the 4 girls/3 spouses and 4 of the Grandkids ..... we don't exchange with our siblings......it's just mainly the kids and grandkids. Oh......forgot the Granddogs......they got a ton this year!!!

Old December 5th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Since I have a small family and no kids, I usually only spend around $400 on Christmas gifts - one big-ticket item for Mark (last year was a Playstation2) and the rest on gifts for my parents, brother, aunts and uncles. However, since I bought Mark and myself a cruise this year (a very big-ticket item), it'll end up costing me three times my usual amount. Oh well, at least I get to benefit from my generosity too.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old December 5th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Yeoman

Hi: We pick names and we are supposed to buy only for that person. That was my wifes's family idea. It's doesn't work well as she feels she has to buy for her Mom, Dad, etc.... sigh...I dont think about what we spend but...it's up there. Bob
Old December 5th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Add up all the money mentioned so far, then add some, then add some more. Gram does most of the shopping . Suffice it to say that the NY area economy gets a SIGNIFICANT boost. Sometimes I wish that I was one of my children or grandchildren.
They get some great stuff. Then there are the son in laws, the fiance, our siblings and
our parents. Add to that my staff at work, Gram's staff at work. You know how we were talking about thinking of the cost of everything in terms of the price of a cruise?
Think 14 day Panama Canal , balconey , with an excursion in every port and airfare from NY.
Merry Christmas and Happy Cruising
Old December 5th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll: How much money do you spend on christmas?

Uncle Bill??????? You're not going to forget me again this year are ya' ?

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 5th, 2002, 06:04 PM
imlulu

too much....and my kids are where we really spend..we dont even buy for each other anymore
Old December 5th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Admiral

We have 6 kids with respective significant others, 13 grandkids and 1 great granddaughter. If we let ourselves get carried away, they would probably be carrying us to the poor house! The grandkids are getting older and more discriminating, not so easy to buy for as they used to be, so this year everyone in Costa Rica gets CASH, no gifts shopped for and wrapped by the oldest daughter. (We can't, because of customs duty and post office thievery, actually send any gifts from here.) Sarah, here in the USA, in California, will probably get a few small items and a generous donation towards the sofa she wants to buy. I don't know yet what we'll do for each other, but we continue to feel that just having found each other at this stage of our lives and being together is all the gift either one of us could ask for. (Except for a cruise, of course! !)

Old December 5th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Entirely too much. Every year I say I'm going to cut back....yeah right.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Bobby Sue

Way too much. With two grown married children and one grandchild who is the apple of my eye, we just can't seem to quit. It may sound trite, but seeing them open their gifts is what makes Christmas for me. And that grandchild! She's only three, so she is happy with everything she gets. She isn't old enough to start making specific requests yet, so it's still fun to buy for her.
Old December 7th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Yeoman

The price of several cruises.
Old December 8th, 2002, 01:11 PM
First Mate

We have 5 kids, 4 married, and 5 grands. I do all the shopping and spend $100 on each kid and spouse, somewhat less on the grands. I hawk the sales and get good buys. For the last 4 yrs. I have given our oldest son and wife cash, which they needed more than presents. This year I did that for #2 son, who went back to school full time and has a new baby. Instead of "things" we have given my dad and step-mother gift cards for stores that they frequent, but lately for Walgreen's to help with their Rx bills. Now we are chipping in with my siblings and step-siblings for a better medicare supplement insurance to cover their medical bills. That will count also for bdays, anniversary, Mother's and Father's days. We chip in with Hubby's siblings for his mom's Emergency Alert system, again including the other gift occasions. I encourage my kids to give her a Rite Aid gift card to help w/ her Rx.
We draw names in both families with our siblings/spouses--$25 limit. Our kids/grands have their own exchange, but most of them don't with their cousins anymore due to finances. If fact, the cousins exchange was dropped in my family due to lack of participants. The grands exchange in both families. $10 limit.
Since Dad and Liz now live in FL and my mother-in-law lives in a condo, we take turns having the family parties and our kids and families ( whoever can make it) come to our house Christmas afternoon. We always have a great time.