Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Admiral

Default Poll: Do you have a real or fake Christmas tree this year?

or none due to cruises or other trips? I prefer a real tree because I like the smell.I have read from some people here they are allergic to the pines so they have fake trees.

WE will not get a tree here since we are leaving.

Old December 6th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Poll: Do you have a real or fake Christmas tree this yea

100% pure FAKE ........ the allergy thing.....plus in the FL heat they just don't last.

Old December 6th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

We have a real one.....love the smell.....my mother would come back to haunt me if I didn't (not that that would be such a bad thing.....lots of questions for her!).
Pat, I agree the heat here in Florida works against us. I never thought I'd be one of those people that has their tree up already but we've learned to buy them early and get them inside out of the heat and sun. It's nice to see you back.
Angela Z.
Old December 6th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Fake all the way - I'm allergic!!!

Old December 6th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Yeoman

Fake...I'm alergic to picking up the dead needles after the holiday is over. I know...we do water it.......Bob
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hopefully next week a real one, its still to early to put up a real one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Bobby Sue

Same as Donna. Plan on buying a real one Tuesday, going on vacation Wednesday, and decorating when I get back the following week. Afraid if I wait until I get back to buy, there won't be a good selection. Love the smell! Live garlands for the stairway, too!
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Admiral

We have a fake one we bought in 1986 for a little over $100 and it has 172 branches and looks great. It's hard to determine it's not real. We spray some of the pine smell on it for the effect.

I think we've gotten our money's worth.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 6th, 2002, 08:40 AM
kareen

I have never had a fake tree until one week ago. This is due to the family cruising 12/15 Victory. My son still wanted a Christmas tree.
Old December 6th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to linda t

We've always had a real tree too until this year. I'm keeping my sons beagle puppy while his house is being built. She chews everything, so this year I bought a small tabletop artificial tree.
Old December 6th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Fake. Too much trouble with the real ones. Needles everywhere etc. Plus, my allergies have become so sever in the past few years, I cannot tolerate a real one in the house.
I usually get between 600-800 lights on my tree. Looks SOooooooooooooooo pretty.

This year, no tree....we wont be here to enjoy it. All presents will go to Dad and Kathy's and we will open them there. :O)

Old December 6th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to tinytim

I used to love real trees for Christmas...until a few years back. Somehow we got an "old" one. It was put up and decorated around the 12th, and by the 23rd had lost many of its needles and was truly a hazard. So we had to take it down and go buy another. What a hassle.

I now have three beautiful "real-looking" fake trees that I know will last!
Old December 6th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

Fake miniature ones in every room and 7 foot slim one in L.room, plus pine scented Yankee candles. Works for us and is very pretty with all the little light in every room.
My big one not up yet. Oh and my Cedar beside the deck is lit up to Auguste

Sue pretty soon you will be in Germany Christmas is truly beautiful there
Old December 6th, 2002, 10:14 AM
First Mate

Fake. Here's the story. When my wedding day was approaching (Dec. 26, '66) my mom insisted on an artificial tree because she didn't want the house to burn down with all the wedding gifts in it. She had been campaigning for one for 3 years and we always vetoed it, but she was the "Mother-of -the -Bride and was stressed out enough with wedding plans, so we didn't have the heart to add to her worries. My parents went to a local dept. store and bought a floor model tree on sale. It was supposedly the only one left, but the next day 2 trees were delivered at different times. Mom called and they said they wouldn't charge her for the extra one and would have a truck pick it up. A month after the wedding Dad found the other tree still in their garage and the truck never picked it up, so they kept it.
The next year Hubby and I were moving into our newly built home and I was expecting our first baby on Christmas Eve. We didn't have the time or money to get a real tree, so we borrowed the extra fake tree. On Dec. 20 when we moved in, the tree was already decorated and standing proudly in front of the picture window in the living room. The next year we bought a real tree and then found out Mom was planning to give us the fake tree permanently. I really liked real trees, but we couldn't pass up a freebie, so the next year we started using the fake one. I often felt guilty depriving my kids (eventually 5) of a real tree. Once, I suggested getting a real one and they said, "No, that's OUR tree!"
Last year it was our turn to host both our families' Christmas parties, so we put up the original tree in our finished basement and put the newer one we bought 3 yrs. ago upstairs as usual. I still love the old tree even after 30+ years. We have never missed the fallen needle mess or worrying about the house burning down. I'm sure Mom (up in heaven) approves.
Old December 6th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Admiral

for years we had a fake tree mainly because of my allergies, but a few years , immunization therapy, and Nasonex and i am able to have a real tree. I find that Fraiser Firs do not bother my allergies, i do however wear gloves when i decorate the tree. MY allergies were severe.It is so nice to have a real tree!!!!
Old December 6th, 2002, 05:28 PM
MichelleM

Fake tree here. I am allergic to pines. I have the worst time at my in-laws when they have their real tree up. Hubby forgot about the allergies this year and got a real wreath and it has gone on the door we don't use at all so I don't have to come into contact with it.

Not to mention we have several naughty cats that really enjoy tackling the tree. I'm afraid what they would do to a real one that had other animal smells on it. It would be in a big mess on the floor some morning. We have mostly silk bulbs on the tree so nothing breaks when it comes down at night.
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:03 PM
susancruzs

I do fake although I like real trees. I just got a new one last year, the previous fake tree actually shed needles, alot!!! Too wierd but it looked very life-like (especially with the needles on the floor)!

I've always lived in mobile homes and the older ones were major tinder boxes so I would have been afraid to do real. I probably could now because I have regular wall board instead of the wood paneling but I'm too used to the fake ones.

Tomorrow will be the day to put it up, I guess. Trouble with not working I'm doing my decorating in stages. When I worked, I'd tackle it and get it done, now it has become a long drawn out process!!!

Susie
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Fake..... We're leaving 12-20 to catch the 12-22 sailing of the Zenith in South America. We thought a fake tree would be better this year so that we don't have to worry about fire while we're gone for two weeks. Also there will be less mess to clean-up when we return from the trip.
Old December 6th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Admiral

No tree due to cruises. But if I got one it'd be a real one.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old December 11th, 2002, 07:50 PM
imlulu

I have both. I am into decorating the house for Christmas. The bedrooms, family room,a dn top of stairs have fake trees. My living room has a 8-9ft real tree. It smells great in there!