Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Is it true...

I did hear today that now American Airlines will be putting the weight restrictions on luggage down to 50 pounds from 70, following Northwest Airlines. I figured this would happen, any truth to this???

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Is it true...

Checked it out at aa.com and sure enough, it's true. Now there are TWO airlines that will not get my business.

Old December 6th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Donna, here is a small piece from American Airlines Website.
For ALL the details, go to [url=http://www.aa.com]Amercian Airlines/url]

Dimensions, Weight and Number of Pieces

For flights within the US
The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 lbs/23 kgs.
The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

For flights to/from Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada

The maximum weight per checked bag is 70 lbs/32 kgs.
The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

For flights to international destinations

Excess Baggage for International Travel from Miami

Overweight baggage (individual pieces weighing over 70 pounds) will no longer be accepted for customers originating in Miami and traveling to international destinations including Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, Bahamas, Central America and South America. Customers who are concerned about overweight baggage are encouraged to distribute baggage over several pieces.

Excess Baggage

The following information for excess baggage applies to flights within the United States and Puerto Rico. For excess baggage information for all other destinations, please contact an American Airlines representative.

Checked baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance will be charged as follows:
$80 per piece for the first three additional pieces

$105 per piece for the fourth, fifth, and sixth additional pieces

$180 per piece for the seventh and any additional pieces

Overweight Baggage

For travel within the 50 United States, checked baggage weighing over 50 lbs/23 kgs but not more than 70 lbs/32 kgs will be charged at the rate of $25 per piece.

For travel within the 50 United States, checked baggage weighing over 70lbs/32 kgs but not more than 100 lbs/45 kgs will be charged at the rate of $50 per piece.

For travel outside the 50 United States, checked baggage exceeding 70 lbs/32 kgs will be charged at the rate of $80 per piece.

Checked baggage exceeding 70 lbs/32 kgs will be charged at the rate of $80 per piece.

These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or oversized baggage.

Baggage weighing more than 100 lbs/45 kgs will not be accepted as checked baggage. It may be shipped as air cargo.

Old December 6th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Is it true...

Thansks CArole,
Had a feeling it was true

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 6th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Let's see, I guess the swim fins are staying home along with the second tuxedo , the extra sneakers and the" just in case it gets cold " sweater. I'll have to stop bringing two hard cover books to read . Gram will have to stop bringing that extra (just in case I change my mind) formal dress and probably have to leave home the quart sized shampoo and conditioner . I think we have one suitcase that weighs 50 pounds empty.
I guess that one is staying in the attic.
Obviously American Airlines has no consideration for people going on a 14 day cruise
with 3 or 4 formal nights and 5 port stops with snorkelling. It's a good thing I brought back the 3 onyx chess sets from Cozumel a couple of years back.
Old December 6th, 2002, 04:38 PM
AR

I think it's great. Maybe all those people who want to bring irons will think twice about it now. Plus it will cut down on hernias.

At today's ridiculously low air ticket prices, people who bring heavy bags should pay extra for the privilege. The more weight, the more fuel the plane burns, so call it a fuel surcharge if you like.

And, if we save fuel, we'll be less dependent on Iraqui oil, and maybe we won't have to go to war to get it.

Now if we could just get rid of the SUV's. . .

AR
Old December 6th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Reminds me of the days when passengers were asked their weight prior to boarding. In this manner the passengers were distributed for even weight in the plane.

Also at that time the luggage was weighed and in excess the passengers were charged extra for going over the limit. I remember weighing that luggage prior to leaving the house to make sure we did not get charged extra.
The numbers of bags were also limited to each person.

What comes around goes around. We have gone back to the 1950's. Next thing you know we will be flying in a DC3.

Old December 6th, 2002, 05:24 PM
MichelleM

Explain to me why it is cheaper for the airline to have you check 3 50 lb suitcases (150 lbs total) instead of 2 60lb (120 lbs total) suitcases. Aren't they going to need more groud crew to deal with all the extra bags. This pretty much forces 2 people to have 4 bags instead of 3 to get what they need to come along.

If they really are concerned about saving money, it is a backwards way to go about it.

I sure wish Midwest Express had more flights to FLL.
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Admiral

I was thinking the same thing Michelle. I usually get away with one somewhat heavy large suitcase. Now I am going to have to haul 2 medium size lighter weight ones. I do have concerns for the risk of back injuries for the workers, but I wonder if that is the real reason for the changes.

Phyll

Old December 6th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Phyll, as someone who does some lifting and bending and twisting with my job, I can sympathize with the workers, BUT, I think it is totally a revenue generating policy. There hasn't been a big problem with injuries before, why now? I sure am glad I live in Milwaukee, the main hub of Midwest Express!

Old December 7th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Ouch.
Old December 7th, 2002, 09:53 AM
MichelleM

Isn't this going to cause longer waits come the first of the year when all checked baggage has to be screened, since everyone is going to probably have one more suitcase then they usually do. I have already read about how come the first of the year the waits at airports are going to skyrocket because they don't have enough equipment in place to do the screening that will be required.

We usually make it with one suitcase each and a shared garment bag but we are probably going to have to add a third small suitcase to distribute the weight.

My husband is a physical therapist and yes the airplane loaders can hurt their back if they do the lifting wrong, but they are taught how to lift correctly and part of the job description is to be able to lift a certain number of pounds, which is more then 50. So if they do it wrong it is because they have chose to ignore their training.
Old December 7th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Brad Krewson

I'm booked on AA for Feb 2. Maybe I don't have to worry about the 50lbs bags, With my luck they will cancel the flights to Tampa any ways.

Brad

Old December 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Is it true...

Brad,
I'm pretty sure if you purchased your tickets before this, you should be OK with the previous weight restrictions. I did notice they are different when flying into Puerto Rico, which we will be in Feb also. Just purchased a new travelpro and its definitely lighter than my old hard sided luggage, so thats good.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 7th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Brad Krewson

Default Re: Re: Re: Is it true...

Donna

I hope this is true. Or can they say. 50lbs are your new weight limits. I'll just have to weight the luggage before we leave.

Thanks

Brad

Old December 7th, 2002, 03:23 PM
David Starkey

Soon the airlines will be weighing passengers and charging EXTRA for those of us that are not slim jims. Its just another way for them to get extra $$$