Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Do you remember?

I remember once a year the Lions club sponsored the penny-a-pound airplane rides in the crop dusters at the local airport out in the middle of Kansas. You actually got weighed, then paid a penny for every pound you weighed and they took you up for a quick little spin in one of those airplanes. In the 50's, that was usually the ONLY airplane ride anyone had ever taken in his life!

Old December 10th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Admiral

I remember coming home for lunch from school and watching Soupy Sales,,,with White Fang & Black tooth. And of course American Bandstand live from Philladelphia,after school every day. Saturday morning I wouldn't miss My friend Flicka,,,,,Goodness. How about Toni dolls,,the 1st doll you could give aToni home permanant to,,,,,I still have mine. My brother was the 1st one on our block to get an "English Racing Bike" it was a 3 speed with skinny tires to everyone's amazement. <BG>
Hey girls how about sleeping everynite in brush rollers to curl your hair? Lord how did I do that????

Post Edited (12-09-02 23:18)

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old December 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Admiral

How about this memory? Sonic booms! For the benefit of those who've never heard one, military jets used to routinely exceed the speed of sound while flying over the continental U.S. and anywhere else they pleased. Some were so loud they could break windows, or knock pictures off walls if the plane was low enough. If you can imagine how loud thunder is when lightning strikes a tree outside your home, double that to get an idea how a sonic boom sounds--or sonic blast for the technically minded. After 1965, or so, the U.S. government imposed a speed limit in American air space. So, no more sonic booms in the U.S. I even remember a PSA broadcast on TV, telling folks that they should regard the booms as signs that our boys were protecting our airspace. The last one I heard, was 30 years ago while I was in Munich, Germany. Seems the speed limit didn't apply to NATO units in Europe.

Steve
Old December 10th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Jo.......I had a Toni doll, too!!!!!! What a drippy mess that was.....but oh, so much fun.

Steve ..... if you still want to hear sonic booms, you have 2 choices(that I know of).......go to the Outer Banks of NC (I used to live there and still visit) ..... when the boys from Oceana NAS and Langley AFB are off the coast on maneuvers they not only rattle the windows.....they get your fillings ...... gosh I sure miss that (I'm serious)! Your other choice is to be in central FL when the space shuttle comes in for a landing.........Here on the left coast, we hear/feel it about 5-7 minutes before touchdown.....had one this week!

Old December 10th, 2002, 08:52 AM
susancruzs

Ahh, the sonic booms. We lived by Glenview Naval Air Base and had them on a regular basis. We also had a Nike (not shoes) site nearby that everyone has been fighting over ever since! I think the library uses it for storage now. How about the bomb shelters??

How about Kate Smith and Tennessee Ernie Ford? Both had their own shows. I loved Ding Dong School with Miss Francis and that may have been a local Chicago Show.
And the absolute best, Burt Tillstrom and Kukla, Fran and Ollie???

Susie
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Susie,,,,I remember Ding Dong School,,,,,so it was shown in Detroit also,,,,<bg> How about candy buttons sold on a paper ribbon by the yard??? Do they still make that stuff? Or Lick M aid,,,,sold in packages like Kool aid,,,only ya don't mix it,,,ya just eat it out of the package,,,and your fingers turn whatever color it is. Jeeze this thread can go on forever!!!!!! <VBG>

Post Edited (12-11-02 14:02)

Old December 10th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Yeoman

I'm late for this one.

I remember my Mom hanging wet clothes and bed sheets on the cloth lines. They smelled so fresh but in summer you had to be careful you did not bring in bees with the dried clothes.

I remember: Rock candy.

Cars with no radios. We sang songs like. "Oh we ain't got a barrel of money. Maybe were ragged and funny but were cruising along, singing our song. Side by side."

Oh...I remember our first color TV with the three adjustment knobs for tuning in the color. You could make someone have purple skin.

Ok...I'll shut up now.

Oh...Kuki? I was a theater usher too in the late 60" and early 70's and...I ,arried the candy girl!

Bob
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Yeoman

sorry...I dont know how to edit and proof read? anyway. it's I married the candy girl.

Bob
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:49 AM
susancruzs

Believe it or not, I still hang clothes outside on my umbrella clothesline!

My mom used to have metal frames that she used to put in my dads uniform pant legs, saved on ironing I guess and she hung clothes out all year, no matter what!

And, there are all kind of sites for Kukla, Fran and Ollie, the forerunner of the Muppets and Sesame Street.
Old December 10th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Do you remember?

No, I've never been anywhere within 500 miles of a shuttle landing. However, I have seen Columbia lift off twice. The first was on January 12, 1986 on the last day of my first visit to the Sunshine state.
I had some friends that lived in Titusville. For years, they kept inviting me to come down for a visit--I just couldn't afford it. In mid 1985, my 10 year marriage ended. My ex said she wanted to be completetly independent of me, which meant that I was able to put aside enough money to take the long delayed trip to Florida. On the following January 3, I boarded an airplane in Columbus, where it was 30 degrees with freezing drizzle. 3 hours later, I landed in Orlando, where it was a bright 80 degrees.
That first night, my friends gave me the the grand tour of Merritt Island, pointing out the launch pads and the shuttles preparing for launch, the Columbia and the Challenger. The launch of Columbia was intended to be the high point of my visit. It was scheduled for liftoff on the following Monday.
On Monday the launch was scrubbed at T-20s, disagreement between 2 fuel guages. On Tuesday, the launch was scrubbed, clouds over Rota, Spain. On Wednesday, launch scrubbed, cloudy over KSC. Thursday, rain. Friday, rain.
Saturday, rain.
On Sunday, my plane was scheduled to leave Orlando at 10A. The shuttle was re-scheduled to lift off, just at sunrise. So, we took a side trip to the Titusville marina, early in the morning. We parked on the side of the road, beside the Indian River, where we could just barely see the tips of both shuttles above the distant treetops.
I half expected the launch to be scrubbed. But, as the count down passed T-10s, I knew I was finally going to see something i had always wanted to see, a launch.
Nothing I had ever seen on TV had prepared me for what unfolded before my eyes.
As the voice on the car radio said "igntion", I saw a bright orange glow between the trees on the other side of the river. There was no sound of it, yet. TV had always presented the sight and sound together. I watched the orange flame rise above the trees, trailing a column of black smoke.
As the flame and smoke climbed higher, I could see ripples starting to disturb the far surface of the river. The distrubance was moving toward our side of the river bank.
As the disturbanmce moved toward us, the beginning of a rumble could be heard.
As the disturbance touched our bank, the rumble turned into a tremor that was more than just a sound. It was as much felt through the soles of my feet as heard by my ears. I could hear a sign on a nearby metal post, probably a speed limit sign, vibrating loudly.
Neither will I ever forget the sight of seeing the shuttle entering the full sunlight, high in the sky, while it was still mostly dark on the ground. The formerly black cloud glowed white above an invisible seam between light and dark, as the shuttle turned for orbital insertion.
Just after it passed into light, it jetisoned its boosters. They could be seen as 2 smaller flames separating from both sides the larger fire ball. They fell away, then behind the fireball. They glowed red as they re-enterred the atmosphere to fall into the ocean. I don't remember seeing the main fuel tank jetisoned.
After the shuttle went out of site, my friends drove me to Orlando for the flight home. We could still see remnants of the vapor trail all the way along the route.
Having seen all those scrubbed launches during my vacation week, when I went to work on the 28th of that same month, I heard that there was ice on the launch tower of pad B. So, I assumed that they would scrub the Challenger launch. I thought it was a joke when my partner came to me during lunch to tell me it had exploded. Unfortunately, there was no punch line.
This started out as a recollection of sonic booms. But, when I talk about that launch, I tell the whole story. Pity anyone who mentions shuttle near me, I just can't help myself.
And, oh yes, my current and lifetime wife and I saw Columbia launch together--just before we left Daytona Beach on March 2, 1994. We'd had reservations to see it from the VIP area of Patrick AFB, but the launch was delayed by one day. And we didn't have time to wait an extra day at Cocoa. So, we delayed our departure just long enough to park on the beach and watch the Southern horizon.
Sorry, I rambled so much. As I said, I just can't help myself.

Steve
Old December 10th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Familiar Face

My mother sending me to the corner store as a child, with one dollar to buy a pack of cigs. a loaf of bread and a half gallon of milk, and having change left to buy a popsicle.
As a teen, driving to the store for my mom, and putting 25 miles on the car.
As a young adult. Driving to the 'city' Tucson. About 50 miles away to pay for gas at 29 cents a gallon, because of a 'gas war'.
Now, sending my adult kids to buy the same things my mom sent me to the store for, giving them $10.00 and them not having enough to buy that same popsicle for my grandson.

Regal Princess 2003- Panama Canal
Sapphire Princess 2006-Mexico
Norwegian Star 2008- Mexico....Garden Villa..WOW what an up sale. Photos in webshots
Carnival Spirit 2010-Mexico

http://community.webshots.com/user/noytay
Old December 10th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Steve........I am so glad you told the whole story ......... I have never seen a launch from the Cape ...... just have seen it streaking across the sky from this side of FL ..... the one a couple of weeks ago was fantastic! I don't recall ever having read a description that made me feel as though I were there......'til NOW......great job .... you can ramble on anytime.......I really enjoyed the read......and your memories!

Old December 10th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Yeoman

Steve: Great job on the shuttle discription. I have business reasons to be in FLA and I have tried to schedule trips when a shuttle was scheduled lift off. Have not had the right timing to see one. Someday.... I have experienced a landing. I was staying in a hotel near Titisville. They warned me that a shuttle would be landing but I was not prepared. At 4:30am...two sonic booms had me up headed for under the bed. Bob
Old December 10th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Admiral

My fiancÚ Mark spent some of his formative years in Deltona, in central Florida, and was home sick from school on the day the Challenger blew up. He was in the sixth grade. He says he saw it take off, then a sudden boom and a huge orange glow in the sky. He knew immediately what it was, and says he'll never forget it.

I, too, remember sitting in my fourth-grade classroom as our teacher told us about the Challenger explosion. It's my generation's Kennedy assassination - we all remember where we were.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old December 10th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Steve,,,,thank you for your very descriptive story about the shuttle. I have that on my list of "To Do's B/4,,,,"

Geez,,,speaking of 'sonic booms',,,,,,,just heard a loud boom,,,,,,maby it's thunder?? We are supposed to be getting all that rain from Fla later on today. Guess I'm gettin jumpy ,,<smile>

Post Edited (12-10-02 10:23)

Old December 10th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Admiral

I remember when eating out was a special occasion and you had to dress up for it.

I remember when everyone dressed up to get on an airplane.

I remember Ben Franklin stores. And the five-and-dimes. There was one down from my grandparents house in St. Louis and we would be given 50 cents or a dollar to spend. We bought pea shooters and/or water pistols and/or candy. What a treat it was to go to Grandma's house.

But darn, I still don't remember Frankie Avalon. Whoever she is? <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Yah Right,,,,,,Thomas,,,,,but I'll bet you remember Annette Funicello ???<VBG>

Post Edited (12-10-02 12:47)

Old December 10th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Admiral

, Thomas.......but like Jo, I bet you remember Annette...if nothing else but for her 'eyes' - she sure had all the guys drooling!

Now......if you want to take this up outside ..... pea shooters at 20 paces (I had one, too and was pretty darn good with it ..... maybe that's why my mother hates me!)

Old December 10th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Admiral

I remember Ding Dong School with Miss Francis, and Romper Room with Miss Lois.

I remember Soupy Sales dressing in drag as Mildred-- who would ride to his house on her bicycle to clobber him, through the doorway, with her umbrella! (OH No--TV violence!) Fang would make joke phone calls as Soupy translated his slurs. ("Is your porch light burning? Better blow it out!") Another character on the show had to help Ben Gady(?) get rid of the "Bird of Paradise" that had flown up his nose.

Did you know that "Kukla" is the Macedonian word for "doll?"

I remember Rocket Toothpaste--when the tube was empty, it was a toy. And, of course,
the space capsule shampoo bottles (Avon?)--those were used in CBS television simulations during live coverage of the recovery phase of the Shepard, Grissom, and Glenn trajectory and orbital flights.

Anyone remember Sergeant Preston of the Yukon? Radio and TV. ("On, King! On, you big huskie!")

Aren't we all still too young to be doing this?

Steve--grayer than yesterday, hairier than tomorrow.
Old December 10th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Do you remember?

Annette Funachello??.........Now I think you all are making up names here. Annette is something I take fishing.

Funachello???........Sounds like a drink!

O.K. , O.K. if you can post a picture maybe I can recall.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 10th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Okay, while we're indulging in this orgy of nostalgia, and this is a trick question, Who was the original host Of "Saturday Night Live?"

Answer: Believe it or not...Howard Cossell.

Explanation: "Saturday Night Live" was the name of an Ed Sullivan style variety show that was on at 9:00PM Eastern Saturday nights on ABC. It was hosted by Howard Cossell. If anyone remembers a group called "The Bay City Rollers," they had their American TV debut on that show. If you don't remember the show, it's because it was the summer of 1975 and you were probably dancing at a Disco somewhere.
When the other show which now bears that name appeared on NBC, later the same year, it was called simply "Saturday Night." After the Cossell version of the show was taken off the air--low ratings-- the same name was picked up by the NBC because people were already calling it by the name. I know neither how long the Cossell show lasted, nor how long SNL (current) was just "Saturday Night." Neither do I know if NBC had to buy the name from ABC. But I remember Scrag, Plubus, Puta, and Emily Lutella ("Never mind").

And that bit of trivia might win you some drinks on your next cruise, if anyone believes you.

Steve
Old December 10th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Thomas, this may help you.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old December 10th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Oh Michelle,,,,,that's just super,,,,soooooooo glad you found that site!!! <VBG> Hey Thomas,,,,there's even a picture of Frankie Avalon !!! <Grin>

Old December 10th, 2002, 05:21 PM
susancruzs

Thomas, Thomas! You are too funny to send to your room!

Steve, thanks for the description, wonderful! All I've seen is a streak in the sky after the fact. We were on the Norway and they told us but by the time you ran to a stairwell, got to the top deck all that was left was the streak! You made it come to life, ramble on anytime!

I remember going to the store with a note for my mom's 3 pack a day habit! She'd give me a dollar! I had to go because my older sisters refused and she wouldn't make them go! It still amazes me that she lived to be 80 although I think she gave it up when she was in her 60s.

Susie
Old December 10th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the link Michelle...................well, maybe! Looking at the pictures of "Back to the Beach" I think Lori Loughlin is a lot hotter than whats-her-name!

But I'm sticking to my story! You gotta love a man with conviction.........right?

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Do you remember?

I remember all of this stuff and sell a lot of it in my candy store . Annette was always my fovorite mousekateer . LIstening to the lone ranger on radio was a favorite for all of my family
>Grant

Old December 11th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

How about Sky King and the Lone Ranger the Ed Sullivan Show.
When I came over here minimum wage was 8o cents per hour. My MIL would washe here clothes outside in a machine with a wringer on top.
there where lots of people without Phones then ,. Also saw my first TV then my inlaws had a small black and white oh it was amazing.
Sure have enjoyed reading about the *launch* Steve. Are you a writer??
Yes we old foggies had alot to learn in our lifetime, still trying to master all there is about computers. Getting help from some of you young ones Auguste
Old December 11th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Admiral

No, Auguste. I am no writer. The story about the launch basically tells itself; all I have to do make sure the words are coupled together. I just remember that trip so well because it featured so many firsts. First time in Florida, first flight in 14 years, first time seeing the ocean in 14 years, etc.

The launch was important to me because I had promised myself to witness one 24 years before, since John Glenn made his orbital flight on my 12th birthday.

What happened on the very next launch after the one I saw really sealed it into my memory. Though I did not personally know the ill-fated crew, I took the explosion quite personally. On most of the days when Columbia's launch was scrubbed, my friends and I fished within easy sight of the Pad B, where Challenger was poised. As we fished, that crew could have easily have seen us from their respective seats aboard the ship as they trained for their upcoming mission. That proximity made me feel a kind of vicarious connection that would have been eventually forgotten if the mission had succeeded. That's why the story is so easy to tell.

I noticed that your name has an unusual spelling. Sprechen Sie Deutsch, vielleicht?

Steve
Old December 11th, 2002, 05:26 PM
First Mate

Thomas, it's Funicello (Italian ch sound). I loved her and the Mickey Mouse Club. Remember Spin and Marty and the snipe hunt? Had a mad crush on Spin.
We wore full skirts with crinolines and a head scarf with the knot on the chin. How dorky!! Slept with brush rollers in our hair every night. ( Ouch! What price, vanity?)
Watched American Bandstand every day after school. Our local TV station had a similar dance party every Sat. and I was on it a couple of times.
I went to a Catholic all-girls school and we weren't allowed to do the Twist at dances--too racy.
The first TV show I ever saw was Howdy Doody on my grandparents '10 in round-screen TV in1949--I was 5. We got a TV the next year. I loved Captain Kangaroo and my younger siblings loved Romper Room. We watched Ed Sullivan and Lassie every Sun. We also watched "I Remember Mama" on Fri. nights.
My parents had cars with fins. We hardly ever went to crowded places (pools, beaches, theaters) until the polio vaccine came out when I was 12. However, I came down with a non-paralytic form of it after riding the train at age 9 in Aug. '53. Young parents these days don't know what a real danger it was. I was in the hosp. for 3 days, 2 of them on an IV and my mother never left my side, even tho I was in isolation.
Scrolling down, I've seen many more things that bring back memories; some gave me a lump in my throat, however, I have no desire to go back. In those days cruising was not on the agenda. Carpe Diem!!
Old December 11th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Admiral

"Carpe diem?" I know that's Latin and what it means. But, coincidentally, I used to
say something similar when I went fishing in the Scioto River-- "Carp, damn 'em!"
And anyone who's fished there knows what I mean. ;-)

Steve