Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Yeoman

Default Norwalk, Cruise popularity and prices

Hi: I talked a good friend into going on her first cruise...now with Norwalk..she is a little scared although I did point out the % of sick people to total passenger count is no more than what you would see in the general population.

Her question to me concerned cruise popularity and prices. Does anyone feel that the cruise companies will start haiving less than full ships due to Norwalk and then commence a "fire" sale on cabins?
Thanks....Bob
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Norwalk, Cruise popularity and prices

In a word, No. The "Norwalk thing" is basically a creation of the media during a slow news period. This gastrointestinal ailment is the second most common affliction in the United States and Europe, after the common cold. It is not the flu or, for that matter, any kind of upper respiratory ailment.

The Centers for Disease Control has repeatedly stated that the bug, if you can call it that, has nothing to do with the ships... their equipment, food or common areas. Rather, it is passed from person to person, generally from someone who picked it up in the local supermarket or shopping mall and then embarked on a ship. There really is nothing to it at all other than a media frenzy.

The ships have been sailing with passenger loads typical for this time period, with many sailing quite full. The frenzy seems to have died down and I would not expect to see any effect on rates or the popularity of cruising.

Old December 18th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Yeoman

Hi: Thanks for the response. I kinda thought that would be the answer but thought I would ask for opinions anyway. Bob
Old December 18th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Passenger

I just posted on another board, now a University of Md. dorm is having problems with this Norwalk type virus, so maybe they(media) will leave the cruise lines alone & go after the colleges for awhile.
Old December 18th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Bobbi Bastista

ErnieMCC, "Norwalk thing....a creation of the media"? What? I suppose this whole "War with Iraq thing" is manufactured as well?

rootgirl, "maybe they(media) will leave the cruise lines alone & go after the colleges for awhile" What? You guys kill me. Should a small pox out break only be reported if it's NOT on a cruise ship?

I've no doubt the cruise industry can survie this. They made it through the press reporting on all the chemical dumping they've done AND Kathy Lee Gifford!

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!
Old December 18th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Please, kids, do not pretend to be another, particularly someone with a media presence.

And if you are going to pretend, at least spell the person's name correctly.
Old December 18th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Norwalk, Cruise popularity and prices

Bobbi... I have no clue at all concerning your post. No idea what you are talking about.

Old December 18th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Norwalk, Cruise popularity and prices

I have to disagree that the Norwalk virus has been around a long time. I teach school and last week we had over 400 students down with it (half the school). That had never happened before. It isn't the same as the flu. Presumably, the North American population must build up antibodies against it, just like flu's and colds, etc. I do wish we could just get a shot for it, though!